May 4th, 2009 | Auctions, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Remember that brand-new, unopened copy of EarthBound that was on eBay the other day? If you don’t, see here.

Anyway, the auction ended just a little while ago, and it sold for over $1000!! 😯

Investing in EarthBound doesn’t sound so bad right now 😛 At this rate, maybe it’ll replace the gold standard!

23 Comments to EarthBound Auction Tops $1000!

Thomasrgf said on May. 4, 2009

i stopped at 800

Darien said on May. 5, 2009

I am definitely promoting the Earthbound standard at the next LPA convention. 😮

Xi said on May. 5, 2009

I’m so confused.

It’s not shrink-wrapped… there are obvious chips in the cardboard… what is the guarantee that it is unopened?

Anyhow, if I had a grand to blow on Earthbound, I’d be either saving for or actively making money offers for the store stands and posters. Hell, isn’t this over twice as much as the auction for that stack of papers from Mother 2’s Development Script went for? Didn’t the Earthbound Zero prototype originally sell for just a grand?

Ah well, more power to the winner nonetheless. I just hope they could afford that extra $.01!

Xi said on May. 5, 2009

I’m not trying to piss all over the auction, btw. I realize I may not have phrased my words eloquently. I really am simply confused. =)

Mato said on May. 5, 2009

The game wasn’t shrink-wrapped to begin with. If it WAS shrink-wrapped, it’d be even more suspicious, which is what happened with the copy a few months ago.

With something like this, you have to take the person’s word for it, which is what your ebay rating is for. The guy also answered plenty of questions and also offered to refund to the buyer if they weren’t satisfied, and he’d even pay the shipping.

Just read the auction stuff and check out the URL the guy posted. Plenty of info and stuff to help soothe any concerns.

LeonardoGolden said on May. 5, 2009

Holy censored! I just found an unopened copy of EarthBound in my basement.

According to my mom, it was a birthday present for a friend, but he moved before his party.
And here I was, thinking I would never have one. Now I need to get a SNES…

questionsleep said on May. 5, 2009

As much as I would truly adore having the whole box set (I love having the original boxes for games),
I can just never bring myself to actually click “Buy it Now” on these 300-400 dollar EB box sets. It’s just so much money =[

I’m very thankful I can borrow a cart from a friend who found it in a Goodwill for, y’know, 3 dollars USD or whatever. He never uses it, but won’t sell it to me -_- And here I’ve played it more in a few days than he has for months.

KingDarian said on May. 5, 2009

The thing that upsets me the most about this auction is being reminded that I missed my chance at buying EarthBound when Best Buy was selling it for $6! One of my friends snagged a copy for the dirt-cheap price, but I wasn’t smart enough to tell my parents “Hey! There’s this game that I want…and it’s only $6!!”

PSInesslove93 said on May. 5, 2009

if only i had a thousand dollars… i could pay my gas bill since my dad won’t, and finally get some hot waters back. ice cold showers aren’t that friendly >.>

congratulations to that big spender who won that auction. i’m jealous 🙂

Xi said on May. 5, 2009

Mato: Thanks for clearing that up. I think I was confused by that other auction.

I remember when I first saw Earthbound, it wasn’t in Best Buy, it was in Blockbuster where my mom would take me to rent a game every now and then for being good. I was intrigued by it’s huge box, and would always pick up the back of the box and read it, even though I didn’t rent it for some time.

When I did rent it, I kept re-renting the same one, even though I left it on the shelf for weeks at a time, as apparently there was only one other kid who was renting it, and he kept a different save file than mine. I ended up getting stuck at the Mu training, because believe me, getting past Poo’s Mu training is REALLY hard when you’re really young.

As much fun as it was to be able to play the game like that, I guess in hindsight it makes a statement as to just how unpopular it was. Only two people renting the game from a blockbuster over the course of six months? This game STINKS!

Wil said on May. 5, 2009

And I thought an opened version for $60 bucks at my local Video Game shop was crazy! I’m glad I bought mine in the late 90’s before the Earthbound craze hit.

Dale said on May. 5, 2009

I wish I was balla enough to afford it… I can’t find my copy of Earthbound 🙁

LucasTizma said on May. 5, 2009

I’ve never owned an EarthBound cart. 🙁 It’s late blooming fools like me who pay the price (literally) for getting into the game (literally) late… Literally. O_o

Zinco said on May. 5, 2009

Good lord, Leonardo, if you actually found an unopened copy in your basement, and you know that it could sell for $1000, why wouldn’t you just sell it and buy a used copy?

rayefrenzy said on May. 5, 2009

So, I was in my mom’s basement clearing my stuff out (she got foreclosed on) AND I FOUND MY EARTHBOUND BOX AND STRATEGY GUIDE!! I thought I had lost it ages ago 😀

‘Course the strategy guide is ripped to shreds (okay, maybe not SHREDS), but I wasn’t lookin’ to sell it anyway 😀

Mato said on May. 5, 2009

Xi: What usually happens is that I’ll tell gonintendo because they post news without ignoring me / injecting snootiness (to this day I’m amazed at Kotaku’s article on the M3 translation the day it was released), and then usually Kotaku will pick up on stuff from there.

Zinco said on May. 5, 2009

I have an unopened copy of Mother 3. Wonder if that’ll be worth anything in ten years?

Mato said on May. 5, 2009

Maybe. I’m surprised used copies of M3 go for as high as they do right now. Now, if you had an unopened Deluxe Box and held onto it for a while, that’d probably do pretty well in 10 years.

santiagoff said on May. 5, 2009

Amazing. Simply unbelievable!

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on May. 5, 2009

My goodness. Definitely every man’s treasure, or it should be! =P

MegazeroX said on May. 5, 2009

Leonardo! Don’t open it! Put it in laser security, open a mueseum, then buy a used copy!

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Jul. 22, 2009

I just got an UNOPENED EB copy for my birthday, and I already have set up a set of traps for everyone that comes near. Alarms, slime generators, and to top it off you’ll have to roll a Mr. Saturn Katamari.

Find Merchandise!