May 28th, 2009 | EarthBound, Rumors

Remember a while back when there was that mystery screenshot for a game that looked a lot like EarthBound? And then we realized it’s probably for the Level 5 + Studio Ghibli “The Another World” game for the ROID service? If not, see here.

Anyway, some more news has come out, and indeed, the EarthBound lookalike game has been confirmed to be a ROID version of The Another World, due to be released in the fall. So once and for all, that mystery is closed for sure. They sure did use EarthBoundy-style graphics though, I wonder why.

Anyway, here’s another picture:

Thanks to Shirow Wolf for the tip, and 1up for the news. If any new pictures show up, maybe I’ll post them once in a while just because they’re kind of EarthBoundy.

31 Comments to EarthBound and ROID

Difegue said on May. 28, 2009

Well, maybe they did the style EarthBound because Miyazaki and Itoi are best buddies or something :V

Seriously, it’s probably just a kind of hommage to the series, and maybe Level 5 or Studio GHibli is wanting the graphic style to deserve a little more love or something.

Either way it looks like a nice game. We’ll have to wait to see if the gameplay and scenario follows…

jordan said on May. 28, 2009

aww. this is sad, but nice at the same time….

PF said on May. 28, 2009

Yar har, called it. It’s still really awesome to see a tribute like this!

EzraSmith said on May. 28, 2009

Looks spooky.

rayefrenzy said on May. 28, 2009

I still can not get over how Earthbound-y it looks.

tapioca said on May. 28, 2009

i’ve been waiting for someone to pick up the earthbound style forever. :>

Viewtiful_justin said on May. 28, 2009

I’d like it if you kept us posted on this one, too.

Thanks!

Earthbound Zero said on May. 28, 2009

It’s real?

I thought the last was a teaser. O_o

santiagoff said on May. 28, 2009

Fuck it , that looks WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much like Earthbound. Something’s going on and we’re not getting any info >,>

PSInesslove93 said on May. 28, 2009

ew ew it looks all too similar >.>

KingDarian said on May. 28, 2009
IWontGetOvertheDam said on May. 28, 2009

Stylistically similar. Moving on…

Claus said on May. 28, 2009

Why make a game that has nothing to do with EarthBound or MOTHER 3, but use the exact same graphics? This is like the 100th middle finger to MOTHER fans.

FuzzyPicklez said on May. 28, 2009

YAAAAY! This looks like a fun game! And if it really is an EarthBound tribute, then you can expect it to be awesome!

I don’t care if it’s not EarthBound. It’s EarthBound-y, and that’s good enough for me.

captain_falcon said on May. 28, 2009

Dear Lord, I hope this ROID thing is emulatable.. oh… hold it.. I don’t think it’ll even get translated…

That Guy said on May. 28, 2009

The only thing about this whole deal that gets me is, they didn’t just use earthboundy graphics, some of them are direct recolors, like something out of a fangame or something.

I don’t see how this doesn’t run into any kind of issues at all, a single look at the main character of this ROID game makes it obvious that it’s a Mother 3 recoloration 😐

John Q. Taxpayer said on May. 28, 2009

I thought Miyazaki hated video games. Maybe when it says Studio Ghibli it doesn’t mean Miyazaki.

But regardless, this definitely counts as a double deuce to Mother fans.

Flint said on May. 29, 2009

Well, reading about the story of the game, it sorta gives you a MOTHER vibe (think of the other world as Magicant) Still, the Gibli version its probably comming to the states, Tomato, try to get into the translation team and drop tons of MOTHER references.

P.D. I would had prefered the DS version to be this, instead of the Gibli one.

PKNuMan said on May. 29, 2009

Either way, I’m still playing it.

G.Wicks said on May. 30, 2009

I guess I don’t care if it’s mother related or not. It still looks cool.

zeldario said on May. 30, 2009

I remeber someone saying (probably rumours though) that the game was like retro game challange in that incorperated a bunch of refrences to old games these screenshot were from the mother reference part

Mother said on May. 30, 2009

This is not a mother game but the art style looks like a mother game lol.

Supakitsune said on May. 31, 2009

I like how the art style in this looks. It’s like, it’s not just the style of the MOTHER games, but it’s sort of… upgraded. It’s more detailed, and all. Sort of like taking the graphics from EarthBound and giving them Chrono Trigger-style details and shading.

dood said on May. 31, 2009

whats a roid?

Vitaliy said on Jun. 2, 2009

It looks like it uses the Mother 3 engine (the projection and sprite style are a complete give-away). I wonder how Itoi would react to this game?

SoreThumb said on Jun. 2, 2009

“Revolutionary Original Ideas Discovery” system for hte “iMode”– whatever that is. (Iphone?)

PK Scatman said on Jun. 4, 2009

the furniture thoa looks a tad diffrent from earthbound 2….actually the furniture looks very diffrent from earthbound style

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 15, 2009

Well Mato… If you think this is a great idea then response me in a Mother 3 article or this one. The idea is… How about if we convince NOA to release Mother 3 for the Wii Ware? Great idea?

Drowzee64 said on Aug. 16, 2009

Interesting abbreviation. 😛

Rukas said on Nov. 23, 2010

Looks like the guy from Secret of Mana.

JumboDS64 said on Apr. 12, 2012

Wow! Level 5 sure does LOVE the Earthbound style…

Find Merchandise!