May 9th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Videos

There’s a band called Quarter Circle Jab that plays video game music. You might’ve already heard of them or seen them on YouTube before. Here’s a video of them playing a bunch of EarthBound music:

Pretty cool stuff! But the real highlight is this song that was recently put up:

(download MP3)

The Giygas battle song there (unofficially called Pokey Means Business) is just awesome. The whole thing is awesome, but that part especially. I love it when people play with the original music and try new things with it like that. When I first heard it, the first thing I thought of was Star Ocean dungeon music mixed with Giygas.

The whole MP3 rocks though, so check it out! And then check out their MySpace and their YouTube channel!

16 Comments to EarthBound and Quarter Circle Jab

LeonardoGolden said on May. 9, 2009

Hah, the front row guys dancing are really funny. UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN

jurz said on May. 9, 2009

Wow they’re still doing it.

I really like them because they all the songs they’ve done are from games I liked. I also agree that its awesome that they put new stuff into, because honestly if I wanted to hear it an exact copy I might as well just listen to the original song.

Also, Coffee Break was awesome.

Chimera said on May. 9, 2009

Considering asking them to be DCMC on my Pig masks can fly.

Freakservo said on May. 9, 2009

I was just reading that article about “Pokey Means Business” and I’m wondering how “INAKUNARINASAI” is properly pronounced. Is it how it’s read on the tin (ee-na-koo-na-ree-na-sai? I’m pretty sure I’m wrong somewhere), or are there any swallowed letters, as I’ve noticed with native Japanese. I’m actually pretty keen on seeing where the ‘coolness factor’ of the term lies, since any official English translation, as you’ve pointed out, is dodgy at best..

If I make no sense, I apologize. I speak as an amateur who is fascinated by the language, but has had absolutely no direct experience with it (Outside Game Center CX episodes).

-TF

santiagoff said on May. 9, 2009

To tell the truth , only part worth of mentioning there was the Giygas arrange. The rest was rather… normal , meh , not impressive.

Mato said on May. 9, 2009

Freakservo: Yeah, it looks like you got the pronunciation pretty well figured out there. There aren’t any unvoiced syllables or anything, unless you have someone speed-talking or something.

santiagoff said on May. 10, 2009

Mato… how many suffixes does that verb have?
Inakunarinasai seems pretty long only for a verb X_X

Mato said on May. 10, 2009

I dunno, it seems pretty straightforward to me.

Supakitsune said on May. 10, 2009

Oh man, awesome.
Get On The Bus arrangement is epic!

Fluteboy said on May. 11, 2009

Seems to me that it’s an “inexplicable” verb. Eh? Eh?

CruxianAzelf said on May. 11, 2009

I spent the first half of that video laughing my rear end off at those guys dancing in the front row. Seriously, that’s just too funny!

Like the Giygas arrange, myself. Kinda tinny, but that adds to it!

mattmanking90 said on Jun. 1, 2009

This is amazing! Wonder why they decided to do EB?

Quarter Circle Jab said on Jul. 23, 2009

hey thanks for the comments all… but this stuffs old and sucky compared to the new stuff… you can get our brand new album if you click the name… and it sounds a lot better than this… this was 3 years ago!

Email Dan said on May. 10, 2010

my volume was a bit too loud when I hit play so it scared the crap out of me.

Clockwork64 said on May. 12, 2012

hmmm the first song sounds like a cartoon show i watched

Thomas Vilela (drummer of QCJ) said on Dec. 2, 2013

Man this is old! Hah! Thanks for all of the kind comments!

We have plenty more songs available for download, and we are hoping to release a third album in Spring 2014 with another Earthbound medley!

Thanks again and hit me up for updates!