April 28th, 2009 | Auctions, EarthBound, Merchandise

Yesterday I saw that a brand-new, unopened copy of EarthBound showed up on eBay. Check it out here!

It’s funny, because just a few days ago we looked at an article about how EarthBound is worth a small fortune. Astute readers might also remember the last time an item like this went on eBay a few months ago: see here.

That copy turned out NOT to be new and unopened, but it still sold for quite a bit of money. This latest item, though, definitely looks legit, so who knows how high it’ll go for. Bids are already well over what the fake new one sold for too 8O

So, if you’re rich and/or have a vault of gold coins to swim in, be sure to add this to your collection! Also, somewhere out there there has to be a warehouse with a bunch of new copies just sitting there. We must seek out and sell these copies. It is the only way to revive the economy. Trust me, I know what I’m doing ;)

POLL: How many Runaway Dogs would you beat up for this unopened copy of EarthBound?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

43 Comments to Unopened EarthBound for Sale!

santiagoff said on Apr. 28, 2009

AWESOME.

GhostSonic said on Apr. 28, 2009

That’s a high price. I’d be too afraid to open one of these, though I’m not a collector, but I’m sure it would go nice with someone else’s collection.

JPEEZY said on Apr. 28, 2009

I want that. Badly.
I can’t believe people have started bidding up so high with almost a week left on that..it’s insane.

metroidman said on Apr. 28, 2009

I would cry if I ever got that. I could see it fetching maybe more than what that sealed Chrono Trigger went for. Around 1200 bucks or so. EarthBound fans are crazy and I could see it getting higher.

ZPE said on Apr. 28, 2009

It’s got damages on the corners. Not really mint condition. :P

LucasTizma199 said on Apr. 28, 2009

LOL Where there goes my next paycheck. “Uh, why are you poor all of the sudden.” — “I, uh, bought EarthBound on eBay…”

Saturnome said on Apr. 28, 2009

So there’s no visible difference between a unopened EarthBound game and a opened one? I could sell my completly mint EarthBound (not just a box + player’s guide..) with a bit of lying for over 400$ !? 6 days left, it could reach a thousand bucks. I could pay my university! Too bad I know I’ll never sell it.

Looks like this person is selling it for a wedding. Bad idea !

teraphony said on Apr. 28, 2009

You know, I would never sell Earthbound for a wedding. I’d much rather have my favorite game than a fancy dress…there’s other ways of making money.

Although I have had the secret wish that if someone were to propose to me, they’d put the ring in an Earthbound box. (with the cart too, of course)

JPEEZY said on Apr. 28, 2009

LucasTizma..the same guy that spent $300 bucks on the set of MOTHER 1 + 2 keychains. Yep, that nut is going to win. :D

JPEEZY said on Apr. 28, 2009

…win the auction, that is.

*cough*

Mato said on Apr. 28, 2009

Saturnome: Actually, some complete EarthBound sets are selling in the $300-$400 range even when they’re NOT unopened, so you could very well do that without the whole lying/cheating thing :P

metroidman said on Apr. 28, 2009

OMFG its up to 660. That is DEF going over 1000 easily. That guy is gonna make bank. IM sad…:(

Mother said on Apr. 28, 2009

Mato would you open this unopened earthbound game if you got it for free ?

Lothis said on Apr. 28, 2009

I would kill for an unopened EB. It’s crazy that he got it for $25 and is making, at the time of this post, over 28 times that amount on it. I’m sure GameInformer will have to reprint their story on EB’s cost after this auction.

Mato said on Apr. 28, 2009

Mother: Me, no. I’d probably get it in a case and then stick it in the back of my closet :P

LucasTizma199 said on Apr. 28, 2009

LOL I am a nut. I’ve been raking in MOTHER merch by the truck load lately. My roommates are pissed because they have to constantly sign for all my packages…then I get home late after work and collect the beautiful treasures inside. :D

Darien said on Apr. 28, 2009

I’ve never gotten into collecting unopened things. Video games, action figures, comic books, whatever it is. So I’d probably never plump for an unopened copy, since what I would do with it is… open it and play it. ;-)

Dumbo said on Apr. 29, 2009

The things that get my goat when I see this is the fact that it was only released in America (Well, the English translation), meaning I’d also have to get a US SNES that might not even play on my TVs. Also, whatever the price that the game’s being sold at in US dollars, is usually doubled for us PAL people.

honeymustard said on Apr. 29, 2009

I call BS on it being unopened.

Not Just Water. Evian. said on Apr. 29, 2009

*pays $1300 for a game i’ll never open*

PSInesslove93 said on Apr. 29, 2009

it’s… so… beautiful… *-* it’s a shame i will never ever be able to buy that unless i win the lottery or something magical like that. ._.

LucasTizma199 said on Apr. 29, 2009

Guys, let’s all pool together our money to buy this collectively and hire a museum curator to store it and guard it and put red velvet rope around it. :D

JPEEZY said on Apr. 29, 2009

lol, and we’ll need an explosion proof glass around it too

Darien said on Apr. 29, 2009

And a pressure-sensitive plate underneath it so the burglars will have to switch it with a precisely-measured bag of sand or the alarm will go odd.

Godaigamer said on Apr. 29, 2009

I can’t believe it’s at $700… I don’t think I could ever pay that for a video game. I guess that’s what separates the collectors from the fans.

Thomasrgf said on Apr. 29, 2009

Im currently high bidder on this it wont last though there is over 5 days left

Pineapple said on Apr. 29, 2009

I’m actually getting annoyed now as to just how much some people will spend on MOTHER items. I want it too. :(

Thomasrgf said on Apr. 29, 2009

haha im still high bidder i hope im annoying you lol

LucasTizma said on Apr. 29, 2009

O.O Wow, Thomasrgf, congrats! I thought I was nuts for dropping $300 on the set of MOTHER 1+2 keychains, but even I don’t think I could shell out $700 for a brand new EarthBound game. Although…

No, someone change my eBay password before I go bankrupt, living on the street with only my MOTHER merch to keep me warm/fed/company/sane… XD

jpeezy said on Apr. 30, 2009

I don’t understand why you guys keep bidding.
There’s a good bit of time left before it’s over…

Lothis said on Apr. 30, 2009

For that much money, it had better come with an Absolutely Safe Capsule to preserve it through the ages.

Luchadore 64 said on Apr. 30, 2009

My god, it’s full of Starmen.
It’s beautiful.

Thomasrgf said on Apr. 30, 2009

still going strong

HazyShadows said on May. 30, 2009

None. Already have 3 :D
I’m.. I’m just going to go play alone somewhere..

Mr. Crosser said on Oct. 30, 2009

I’d sell my soul just to get a copy COMPLETE

Ness said on May. 30, 2010

Man i want a copy of EarthBound. Tired of emulators. I should get a job….

Mic said on Oct. 2, 2010

I probably wouldn’t beat up a Runaway Dog. I’d go kill lots of Bionic Krakens.

Lukumadustaney said on Dec. 24, 2011

that’s crazy. i already have one, and about 6 or 7 months after having it, i ran into a store and randomly asked if they had earthbound. they had a sealed copy for 30$.

Earthbound Girl said on Jan. 31, 2012

OMG! Lukumadustaney, the shop owners must be crazy! I’m after Earthbound but it’s hard to find for me. I live in the UK where Earthbound wasn’t released.

Earthbound Girl said on Jan. 31, 2012

Hi again! Please replie to me, guys! If you have any facts about Mr. Saturn, tell me. I love that little alien!

16bitKaiju said on Jan. 31, 2012

@ Earthbound Girl, I live in the UK and got Earthbound on eBay for 69 quid (got it as a Christmas present),just be patient and you’ll eventually get it cheap.
As for Mr Saturn, check Earthbound wiki ,you’ll find all you need to know there,

GiegueFanboy said on Feb. 7, 2012