Eartbound Doujinshi Franklin Badge

April 2nd, 2009 | Interviews, Videos

I didn’t dare post this yesterday, because posting any news on April Fools will meet with “uhh is this real”? Which is why I was iffy about the original news myself, but here it is now:

In an interview with MTV Multiplayer, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Amie talks about MOTHER 3, this time with actual substance. A quick quote:

I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]

If it seems weird that this is coming from an MTV site, don’t worry, it’s legit. You may even remember when MTV interviewed him a while back and he talked about MOTHER 3 and acknowledged the fan translation project.

Incidentally, this interview was posted exactly one year after this 2008 April Fool’s joke interview:

55 Comments to Reggie Talks About MOTHER 3

nekoaitsu said on Apr. 2, 2009

I like the image on SM.NET about this. It made me lol.
But seriously, whether or not he’s serious about being a fan, it’s nice to get the game at least SOME recognition in the US.

darkhamsterlord said on Apr. 2, 2009

Maybe this means people won’t hate on Reggie so much? He never really deserved all the hate some people give him..

Millhouse said on Apr. 2, 2009

I’m still kinda sceptical. Even if the interview is legit (april 1st is never a good day for such news), I really don’t believe his claim to be a Mother fan. I recall him saying he’s never played a Mother game before… But anyways, if he, as a businessman, offers this statement as an offer of peace to Mother fans, I for my part will accept it, even if it’s a lie. (I’ve never liked the guy)

Let’s hope for a worldwide release of Mother games!!

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Apr. 2, 2009

Millhouse: I don’t think it’s a joke. MTV would probably get in trouble for making something like that up.

Satsy said on Apr. 2, 2009

He never really deserved all the hate talk that sprung up anyway and it’s been a massive shame that the hate was so strong long after we tried to quell it.

How he came to know the series I’ll never know, but he’s left us alone, probably time to leave them alone, too. ;) We never got anything ‘legit’ but the official sources didn’t stop SM.net so I think we’re in the good. :3

HGastrus said on Apr. 2, 2009

I’m pretty sure it’s not a joke. It seems odd to me that MTV would go out of their way to pull a prank like this on the minority of Mother fans out there. Nonetheless, I still don’t think Reggie’s serious. It’s still nice to hear, I guess.

PKNuMan said on Apr. 2, 2009

He’s not a fan.

He just wants all the EB fans to think he is.

Spitball Sparky said on Apr. 2, 2009

I don’t believe he is any sort of Mother fan. Not insulting the guy, but I don’t buy it. I don’t care if he is either way, but oh well…[laughs]

Also, I found this on eBay and found it amusing:

EarthBound: Reggie’s Escape! We have captured him, and he is getting away. [laughs]

Jotokun said on Apr. 2, 2009

Regardless of whether he likes the series or not, I really hope that this game gets released on DSi over here. I never would buy a DSi normaly since its just a DS with extras, but if any of the mother games gets released for it, I would buy the system just for that.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 2, 2009

Oh, Reggie.

Rafa said on Apr. 2, 2009

damn you reggie

Cafechan said on Apr. 2, 2009

If it’s real:
He likes Mother and it’s still not coming out.

If it’s not:
Who knows if he likes Mother and it’s still not coming out.

So we really don’t lose anything either way, you guys. If he likes Mother, then yay for him! But just because he’s in a high position doesn’t necessarily mean he calls all the shots.

In short, enough of the Reggie hate. I’m pretty neutral about it, actually…

P.F. said on Apr. 2, 2009

Nothing unexpected really. Except that maybe Reggie likes “Mother”? Not a big deal one way or the other, as we’ve all seen the reasons why domestic releases would be pretty hairy for Nintendo.

Reggie Fils-Aime said on Apr. 2, 2009

Hello Mother fans.I am Reggie.Yes I do like Mother.It’s a good series.Please don’t hate me just because I can’t have it localized. Thank you Mother Fans.

And yes I do go on Earthbound websites.

Good-bye and see you at E3(I promise great news for you guys there.)

HossTehMaster said on Apr. 2, 2009

Its true he doesn’t deserved most of the hate he gets. He is only one person within a huge company.And I’m quite happy that nintendo hasn’t sued the translation team buts off for making the unofficial fan translation.

Xi said on Apr. 2, 2009

I know NOJ is in charge of VC releases, but are they also the ones who have the say in which games get translated for the U.S.?

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Apr. 2, 2009

I think that if NCL told the other branches “do this game” or “don’t do this game”, they would have to comply, but I think that for the most part, the other branches decide what they want to do independently. I don’t have any actual source for this, though.

BURINTO said on Apr. 2, 2009

lmao look at how awkwardly he says it. i’m a huge “mother” fan. yes.

he doesn’t even play games, thank god. companies should be managed by mature people

HossTehMaster said on Apr. 2, 2009

Xi: I’m pretty sure NCL has a say in what games get translated to the U.S. and other countries.

Darien said on Apr. 2, 2009

NCL has a fair bit more than just a “say” in what games get localised — in fact, NCL has the sole authourity to make that decision (assuming we’re talking about games published by Nintendo, at any rate).

That said, no doubt the Reggie hate comes from the fact that he’s the very visible “face” of Nintendo, and the fans are frustrated with what is perceived to be a lack of support from Nintendo. Since Nintendo is sort of “personalised” for us in the form of Reggie, frustration with Nintendo also gets personalised in the form of anger at Reggie.

Personally, I don’t think we’re seeing as little support from Nintendo as is suspected. Market conditions weren’t right for the release of Mother 3 in NA, sure. But, as was pointed out in the older interview, Nintendo was well aware of the translation project and did absolutely nothing to stop it. That’s a gift and a half, in my opinion.

Change of pace: in the second interview, Reggie alludes — vaguely — to the possibility of Mother 3 being released as a downloadable for the DSi. That would be awesome, but, historically, the Japanese games released for download on the Wii have not been fully localised. Seems like a bit of a stretch that they’d release such a text-heavy game without localisation.

reggiggiggeiee said on Apr. 2, 2009

(laughs)

Deiphobus said on Apr. 2, 2009

well, maybe a port onto the ds would be a good idea after the release of ssbb. all the hype can attract attention (to mother), and as mentioned many times before, the mother series can receive the same effect as the fire emblem series.

Deiphobus said on Apr. 2, 2009

*would have been

Darien said on Apr. 3, 2009

Well, here’s hoping. I’d buy a DSi and Mother 3 if they do release it.

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 3, 2009

Either that post above claiming to be by Reggie Fils-Aime is somebody’s dumb idea of a joke (which I can’t deny looks highly probable, especially given the lack of spaces between most of the sentences and questionable grammar in general), or he’s just promised something he almost definitely can’t deliver.

I find the former all too likely, and heap shame upon the head of whoever did this. I’d ask him to come back and try to prove it was Reggie, but I don’t think he’d return either way given the ending of the post.

I’m still annoyed with the guy for saying they don’t technically NEED their hardcore gamers. Sure, so it’s true, from a business point of view. But the fact that he actually SAID it drives me nuts! That’s NOT how to endear yourself to fans, Reggie!

Reggie Fils-Aime said on Apr. 3, 2009

But the same person wouldn’t have to come back. I’m posting with the same name & website and I am not him.

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 3, 2009

Well, you proved my point very well. I guess that’s the problem with a site that lets you comment without signing in. *sigh*

Reggie Fils-Aime said on Apr. 3, 2009

Keep commenting, I’m just taking some names…

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 3, 2009

Yeah, THAT’S convincing. :P
Enough with the fake Reggie posts, please. The point was made.

Jimmy said on Apr. 3, 2009

Hehe I would laugh if he meant to say that he loves his mother.

Leirin said on Apr. 3, 2009

He has a love-hate relationship with the series.

Ants said on Apr. 4, 2009

I always figured he was a good guy with no honest ill-intentions towards the earthbound fans of North america

DanteAMD said on Apr. 4, 2009

You know what? It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter if Reggie is an EB fan or a Mario Fan, or a Star Wars fan, HE’S NOT GONNA LOCALIZE MOTHER 3.

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 8, 2009

IMO, Reggie is to localization as the president is to making laws.

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 8, 2009

And if he’s lying about liking Mother 3, I still don’t hate him.

mother 3 fan said on Apr. 10, 2009

I hate Reggie because he does not translate mother 3 and
won’t put mother 2 on the virtual console

TheEBGuy said on Apr. 11, 2009

I think he’s lying IMO but if he’s not plz do a ds Compliation with brand new graphics! (kinda like FF 3 & 4 for ds)

Claus said on May. 1, 2009

A localized version of MOTHER 3 would be a bit worse because they’d have to take stuff out like the swearing, some of the things Kumatora says, stuff like that(I won’t go any further). Besides, we already have the translation. Reggie probably knows about it so maybe that’s the reason he doesn’t want to localize it here. Oh, and because of all the other stuff I mentioned before.

Karma said on May. 4, 2009

“I hate Reggie because he does not translate mother 3 and
won’t put mother 2 on the virtual console”

Yeah.

Because he TOTALLY has control over the copyright issues that keep M2/Earthbound off the virtual console, and that he can magically pull a localized Mother 3 out of his ass from thin air, just by saying a few magical words and twirling his magic scepter.

Thanks for making yourself the cheif representitve of all of the Reggie hating morons out there.

You’re a credit to your race.

Only not.

Claus said on May. 4, 2009

Ew.

HazyShadows said on May. 30, 2009

I still call BS. Part of me thinks he’s just justifying his actions to not release EB on VC and Mother 3 state-side with lies, to seem like a fan. In all reality, if they released it (And actually had some GOOD Advertising this time) then it would sell like Hotcakes.

Ninji said on Nov. 22, 2009

Why am I always last place, GODDAMMIT somebody comment on this NOW, oh wait, you guys ABANDON F***IN’ POSTS LIKE DIS!!!!! *Ninji realized the power of PSI Mega-Kill a* *Ninji tried PSI Mega-Kill a everybody died!!* Oh yeah and by the way, REGGIE IS A B***H !!

Reggie said on Jan. 22, 2010

Hey guy’s im sorry i can’t bring mother3 to America but i wish i could but i can’t sorry.

Dustin said on Jan. 22, 2010

REGGIE SHUT THE F**K UP!YOUR LIEING YOU JUST DONT GET IT!UNLESS YOU MAKE MOTHER3 IN AMERICA WE ARE GOING TO STOP BUYING THE GAMES YOUR COMPANY MAKES!AND NUKE NINTENDO OF AMERICA!!!!!SO THERE F**K YOU YOU MOTHER F***ER!!!

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2010

alln NOA cares about now are making games for “modern players they keep making girl games too they should know thanks to earthbound, mario, and zelda people but their games it’s all camies fualt. STONE HER!!!!!!!!
( i’m also pretty sure those reggie comments are fake.)

Anonymous said on Jan. 22, 2010

sorry *thanks to earthbound, mario and zelda people but their games
p.s. people buy dumb games from nintendo thinking they are good becuase they made those good games thinking the dumb games would be good like their favorites.
*dig* *dig*

Reggie said on Jan. 23, 2010

Anonymous my comment’s are real and i do not like Dustin for being rude!So right back at ya Dustin!

Dustin said on Jan. 23, 2010

OKAY THATS IT REGGIE!!!!!!!!!!!GET OUTTA MAH HOOD FO!!!IM GOING TO NUKE NINTENDO UNLESS YOU BRING MOTHER3 TO AMERICA MY UNCLE HAS A MACHINE THAT FIRES A TACTICLE NUKE!!!!!

me said on May. 3, 2010

I think he was going to tal about legal isuses when he says Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] but nintendo doesnt want to lets people know abot it Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses]

blahblah said on Aug. 6, 2010

PUT ALL THE MOTHER GAMES IN ONE DISC FOR WII!!!! IS THAT SO HARD?

Anonymous said on Sep. 15, 2011

God, cant Reggie understand that we already translated Mother 3?? All Nintendo has to do is take away the screen that shows info that it was translated unofficially!! >:(

Zoom! said on Sep. 15, 2011

@Anonymous God, can’t you understand the translation isn’t perfect (it has bugs), and that Nintendo likely doesn’t feel comfortable using someone elses’s work?

@Zoom! said on Sep. 15, 2011

God, can’t you understand that the translation is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT with ZERO bugs because of the community and easy communication with the team (only had to release patch v 1.0 and v 1.1), and that Mato had already contacted Nintendo and said that they are free to use the translation 100% in any way they like?

Rock said on Sep. 15, 2011

Mato, please, disable comments on this post… and any other post that has to do with Reggie. Please.

Mato said on Sep. 15, 2011

Yeah, good call.

For the record, I do not consider the translation perfect at all and the patch most definitely has bugs, even now.