April 3rd, 2009 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3, Rumors

Visitor Victor D. informed me the other day that he couldn’t find the MOTHER3+ or MOTHER3i albums on iTunes anymore. So I checked and asked a few other people to check, and it indeed looks like both albums are now gone from everything but Japaense iTunes.

It’s not clear why this is, it might have to do with them needing to make DRM-free versions for the iTunes Plus thing by the end of this quarter, or maybe there are licensing issues after all, or who knows what. So, for now, it looks like the only legal way to get MOTHER3+ is to get the actual CD album. There is no legal way to get MOTHER3i now, since it was an iTunes-only thing.

I get the feeling both albums will pop back up on iTunes at some point, but I thought I’d let people know for now just the same.

59 Comments to MOTHER3+ and MOTHER3i Gone?

EarthBoundRules said on Apr. 3, 2009

And just when I was about to buy it. 🙁

22hunter said on Apr. 3, 2009

Good thing i got them before they disappeared

RCat said on Apr. 3, 2009

I got both of them when I first got an iPod. Mother3i is full of wonderful medleys of game music, including Theme of Bad Boy, which has King P’s battle music and the music for his robot cronies. Mother 3+ doesn’t have as much of that goodness, but the 16 Melodies and Pollyanna are excellent renditions of the popular Mother songs of yore. It’s a shame they’re gone now.

Dale said on Apr. 3, 2009

I prefer Mother3i to Mother3+, but both are great albums. Hopefully they get put back up soon.

Keiji Dragon said on Apr. 3, 2009

Good thing I got both albums two years earlier. 😀

Chewy said on Apr. 3, 2009

Aww, that’s terrible timing with the Handbook coming out. 🙁 Hope it comes back soon.

Izumi said on Apr. 3, 2009

The image attached to this post makes me frown, too. 🙁

Cap`nRon said on Apr. 3, 2009

Worry not, EB fans. I know for a fact that there are perfect, lossless backups of these albums. 🙂

Spitball Sparky said on Apr. 3, 2009

Glad I have Mother3i burned to a CD for safe keeping. I figured this would happen at one point.

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 3, 2009

Dangit. I was just about to buy them.

DragonKazooie89 said on Apr. 3, 2009

Now I’m glad I bought both albums off iTunes when I did and backed up all the songs into CD, flash drives and an external hard drive.

PSInesslove93 said on Apr. 3, 2009

i’m so glad that i got them before they disappeared

Happy Happiest said on Apr. 3, 2009

Damn, I just got an iTunes gift card to use too….

Oh well, now it’s time to download illegally.

Pikmingirl said on Apr. 3, 2009

Whoa, that was a close one, I purchased them a few weeks ago. o-o;;

But still, why take it down? Hopefully it’ll be back up for other people to buy soon. :O

UltiMario1337 said on Apr. 3, 2009

I bought them JUST in time! Phew!

mudkipNDS said on Apr. 3, 2009

Hi you guys… I was the one who submitted the news. As a longtime Earthbound fan, I can’t express in words how deeply I was disappointed, too. But as a longtime experienced Apple user, I can probably confirm that in order for Apple to reach its goals of a DRM-free iTunes MUSIC store before the 1st quarter ended, they had to get the 256 kbps tracks from the record holder themselves, because even though they had the DRM-free tracks on their servers (remember, all the Fairplay licensing BS is done by the iTunes client), they only had the 128 kbps tracks, and in order to qualify for iTunes Plus (256 kbps, DRM free), they needed the 256 kbps from the record holders themselves. Now I don’t know what happened from this point on, but I bet that Nintendo took this opportunity to tell Apple to pull it off the servers, and they complied. :'(

So the lesson here folks… be an honest customer and you get screwed!!! Just kidding, I share in all your sorrows.

Take Care,

Victor D.

mudkipNDS said on Apr. 3, 2009

…And I know this is inappropriate, but I actually giggled at the frowning picture!… Sorry. :'( :'( :'(

Mother=earthbound said on Apr. 3, 2009

i was just about to get them first no mother then no mother 3 then no EB on virtual console then removing mother 3 off itunes 🙁

Deiphobus said on Apr. 3, 2009

IT WAS ALL REGGIE!!!! xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Yumil said on Apr. 4, 2009

This does not make me happy. Fortunately, I have MOTHER3i. But I hadn’t purchased all of MOTHER3+ yet. I hope they put them back up. 🙁

Big A2 said on Apr. 4, 2009

I guess this means I can now illegally download Mother 3i without feeling guilty. Oh joy!

Dylan said on Apr. 4, 2009

Good thing I got them before they disappeared they’re some of my favorite music

HAK2 said on Apr. 4, 2009

what does DRM-Free mean?

i got mine a while back, last year, on itunes.

it’s a shame their not their anymore.

even though i have them it makes me feel sad 🙁

queens of the fart age said on Apr. 4, 2009

DRM free means communist hippies can steal your car.

Leirin said on Apr. 4, 2009

Man, this really bites. I have them on my iPod though, but it’s still sad. I highly admire this blog for spotting every last bit of EB info, though. =) I hope the soundtracks pop up again sooner or later.

DGC said on Apr. 4, 2009

So… where i can now download this?
Anyone?

Big A2 said on Apr. 4, 2009

Sorry, I’m afraid we can’t let you know that.

DarkLink9393 said on Apr. 4, 2009

This is beyond ridiculous. Two of the few things that Americans were legally allowed to have that were related to Mother 3 are now gone. What has gaming come to?

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Apr. 5, 2009

Darn. Looks like I will never even know how the two albums sound like.

HossTehMaster said on Apr. 5, 2009

Well the music is still on youtube, but if this is a legal thing then we can expect youtube to start taking those videos down.

Arc said on Apr. 5, 2009

this might have something to with the DSi having a possible music store

Claus said on Apr. 5, 2009

NOA’s work.

Jona428 said on Apr. 5, 2009

man i was gonna get plus too XD; oh well i should serve me well 🙂

Godaigamer said on Apr. 7, 2009

Just when I was going to buy them too… 🙁

Aish said on Apr. 7, 2009

i am SO glad i downloaded them when i did.

somebodynotimportant said on Apr. 13, 2009

I looked it up, came back a few days later to buy it, and it was GONE. I was hoping it was just my computer or my version of iTunes or something, but this really sucks.

spoildaj said on Apr. 18, 2009

Whew. Lucky I bought it when I did.

Sarah said on Apr. 19, 2009

If you REALLY want to buy it, you can actually buy Japanese iTunes cards from a site called J-List/Jbox. Sure, it’s a hassle, but it makes it legal and possible.

LucasTizma said on May. 5, 2009

It shouldn’t require an act of God just to get access to what little MOTHER music is available out there. lucastizma@me.com Why did I put my e-mail address here? Hm…

... said on May. 8, 2009

This is ridiculous. Why is it so hard to get Mother/EB music? (aside from remixes)

MaskedLucas said on May. 16, 2009

Awww =(

Shad said on May. 28, 2009

I was gonna get those a while but I forgot, damn.

Mister Crosser said on Dec. 12, 2009

If you switch over to japanese region mode, then you can buy MOTHER 3i that way, but I don’t know how to change back D:

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Jan. 31, 2010

man i wanted to boy this SOOO bad!

mr.yoshiboy64 said on Jan. 31, 2010

oops i meant buy

SmartOne said on May. 16, 2010

Can someone who bought Mother3i remove the DRM from the AAC files and share them?

Please?

Bond697 said on May. 16, 2010

just look around, dude. they’re not hard to find at all.

SmartOne said on May. 18, 2010

I’ve found low-quality MP3 and WMA transcodes. Someone should remove the DRM from the iTunes M4P (AAC) files and share them (for preservation’s sake).

If you know where these can be found, please let me know.

SmartOne said on May. 21, 2010

The quality of Mother3i from iTunes sucks in the first place. There is rampant digital clipping and a swashy sound like it’s recorded from inside a bottle. If you can’t tell (or don’t care), you are deaf.

That’s why a lossless, DRM-free rip is important.

Lossy + Lossier = Lossiest

Pkhypernova said on May. 21, 2010

SmartOne WOW Seriously! Your probably just jealous you couldn’t get the Mother3i soundtrack when it was buy-able! Seriously I feel ashamed to call you an Earthbound fan!

SmartOne said on May. 24, 2010

Burn CD, rip, encode using FLAC. Share. If you can’t figure out how to remove the DRM.

Please.

Link the SwordMage said on Oct. 2, 2010

You can rip the music off youtube. That’s what I did.

RadicOmega said on Oct. 24, 2011

I’m willing to bet everything I own that Nintendo was the one that told them to get rid of this

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Nov. 4, 2011

I tried to download the Mother 3i soundtrack, but it said I needed japanese iTunes so instead I got the raw files from Starmen.net

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Nov. 4, 2011

But that was really a long time back.

mudkipNDS said on Aug. 26, 2012

Came back here after 3 years. Wow. I’m just super embarrassed at my post here. 0_0 Bluhhhh, that’s what I get for posting at the ol’ one-4!

I’m more super-shocked at the misinformation that’s been spread here, though, esp. from me. First, they’re still available on the Japan iTunes store, but still not with the DRM taken out, though. :'(((((

OK, nuffa that. More importantly, if you DID buy this in the past (before it was removed from the l’Americane section) like I did and have the latest version of iTunes (10) on hand, you can actually re-download this from iTunes Cloud. Even though there is still Fairplay DRM encoded in the AAC(shames), the important thing is that you get the original tags and metadata intact. Use GOOD software like Requiem DRM to strip out the Fairplay, and you’re golden!

Alas, SmartOne is NOT a very smart one, since MOTHER3i was a digital-only release, meaning there is no CD release of this to rip. (MOTHER3+ OTOH was released on CD, but good luck trying to find a FLAC rip of this on the internet! I have it, but it’s RARE. Took me at least a goddamn year to finally get it.) Comments like his disappoint me, though, whenever they start to complain about the SQ. You’ve got a low-quality transcode, of course it’s going to sound bad! (gEt a load of this hornses ass.) Just forget about dem “flaws” and enjoy the music for what it is. Nak.

(AHA, the references pile doesn’t stop from getting taller.)

mudkipNDS said on Aug. 26, 2012

(And for the record, I REGRET NOTHING!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAAHAA. HEE. HEE. HOO. HOO.

(>*wonk*<)

KumatoraissomyPKlove said on Aug. 30, 2012

is this ever gonna come out again 🙁

Ness1985 said on Oct. 27, 2012

Nope, nintendo doesn’t want anyone to remember or know of the Mother series ever.