April 17th, 2009 | MOTHER 1

There’s an article on MSNBC that talks about the five most wanted games on the Wii Virtual Console. MOTHER is among the games:

Strange that they chose that and not EarthBound, which is clearly the most wanted Virtual Console game. But that’s okay. Pretty cool seeing the series mentioned in more mainstream media like this, though I don’t see it having much of an effect on anything.

POLL: Think we'll ever see an English version of MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero on the Virtual Console?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

30 Comments to MOTHER on MSNBC

Poe said on Apr. 18, 2009

That’s…pretty damn random.

Gary said on Apr. 18, 2009

Would be cool if they did.

James said on Apr. 18, 2009

One of the best games ever? Only if you don’t include either of its sequels. Mother is one of those series that gets better with every game.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 18, 2009

POLL: Think we’ll ever see an English version of MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero on the Virtual Console?

haha

hahahahaha

Good one, Mato. You crack me up.

E: wee said on Apr. 18, 2009

Mother is one of my fave. poop games

Millhouse said on Apr. 18, 2009

Yes, we’ll see it on VC eventually, but not on the Wii.
Maybe in 20 years, we’ll see in on the Virtual Console for Wiistation 360 or so. But not as long as there’s still such a thing as royalties.

somebody said on Apr. 18, 2009

I am surprised they didn’t mention that it was a series.
And that the “why not now?” was there. I thought that it was copyright issues (again), and the whole “If Japan gets it why don’t we?” and when we do get it “Why don’t we get the more popular sequel?”

santiagoff said on Apr. 18, 2009

Coooooool.

Alxprit said on Apr. 18, 2009

Meh, MOTHER needs a little more time in the spotlight anyway.

Dr. Hobo said on Apr. 18, 2009

I’d never heard of most of the games on that list. And seriously? Super Mario All-Stars? Really? “oh why don’t we have that version? it has great graphics!” Lesse:
SMB 1-3 500 each and Lost Levels 600
Total 2100
OR
All-Stars 800
Which one will make Nintendo more money?

StarFoxA said on Apr. 18, 2009

Metal Storm? I didn’t expect to see that. I love that game.

Eedracon said on Apr. 18, 2009

I said “Yes, eventually.”
Though I think that if it ever does go to VC… it will be at the end of the Wii’s lifetime.

bagofsnakes said on Apr. 18, 2009

There are no mother games on the virtual console because because they have mother 1+2 and mother 3 for sale over there. NOJ decides which VC games come out and I figure they’d rather move product they already invested in (cartridges), then make them available for download.

Leirin said on Apr. 18, 2009

@ Poll:
Yes! Definitely!
*Pollyanna theme plays*

PikroX said on Apr. 18, 2009

Dayum, people think no mother will come! That makes me sad.

XX Stone said on Apr. 19, 2009

Hmmm… Mother would be the most likely to go on the VC, wouldn’t it? It’s more retro, and it doesn’t contain as many “legal problems” as the other two. And it’d be amazing to play it on an actual system, not an emulator. 😛

Claus said on Apr. 19, 2009

My thoughts exactly.

spoildaj said on Apr. 19, 2009

Erm… The link isn’t working for me..

SmaMan said on Apr. 19, 2009

The more Mother keeps placing in polls, the more Nintendo will have to address the public on why it can’t. Or, even better, realize they have to do something so it can.

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 21, 2009

Actually, in terms of legal problems, Mother 3 has the least. But Mother is the most likely to go on the VC. They already translated it, didn’t they? They could just dig around for that old ROM and put it up. Damn those lazy Nintendo people…

Claus said on Apr. 28, 2009

I’d love to see MOTHER on vc but think about it, wouldn’t it be weird to put a game on vc in America and it wasn’t even released in America? And yet EarthBound was?

Master of Ramen said on May. 7, 2009

Nintendo isn’t lazy- It’s just that everyone else is so goddamn vigilant with their fucking music royalties. America’s sueville, I’m learning Japanese and moving there.

Master of Ramen said on May. 7, 2009

Nintendo should release All-Stars in 3D and 2D, put in level editors, and be able to send levels to your friends, ala Little Big Planet.

Master of Ramen said on May. 7, 2009

…on the Wii, for $40/$50. That’d make them much more than the $21 net worth by buying them on VC alone.

Gurp said on Oct. 2, 2009

To be honest, I’m still rather surprised there isn’t an official Nintendo effort to get Zero in english, granted, I don’t know if it had as many copyright stuff as Earthbound, but it was supposed to be translated.

Russia x America said on Dec. 27, 2009

Actually the only way to get Earthbound Zero on VC is to inject it to your wii through the wad manager app in the homebrew channel. idk if its illegal but i put it on my wii, it has all the labels like on other nes vcs… Nintendo Entertainment System> Earthbound Zero banner> [Wii Menu / Start]

Zoom! said on Sep. 18, 2011

Finally! The coverage this games needs! 🙂

Nyx said on Feb. 28, 2012

Dead link

landyn said on Feb. 28, 2012

It will get out there in ummm…… 10 to 30 years but if NOA gets their lazy butts off the sueville bandwagon then it will come out.

PSIcicle said on Nov. 11, 2012

I would go with yes. Mother 1 did sell a decent bit in Japan, after all.