April 11th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Just a quick note that I moved my old site “MOTHER 2 to EarthBound and Back Again” (M2EB) to EarthBound Central here. This will make it a lot easier for me to update M2EB with new content, and having all my EarthBound projects on one site will make it easier for me to keep stuff organized.

If you’ve never visited my old site before, I compare the differences between EarthBound and MOTHER 2 in great detail. It’s a lot of fun and very interesting stuff. Even if you’re just a very casual fan of EarthBound, I can’t recommend it enough. In fact, here’s another link to it 😉

If you’ve already read through M2EB before, then I still recommend you check out the newer version: I updated almost every page with some new tidbits of info and trivia. So you might discover even more new stuff!

Now that I’ve moved M2EB over, I’ll be able to continue with it. I’ve got screens up to Summers in MOTHER 2, but I gotta play through the monkey maze to Summers in EarthBound still, then put all the pics together and make all the pages. I’ll post here whenever I updated with a new page, of course 😀

21 Comments to MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound

HAK2 said on Apr. 11, 2009

doh… M2/EB was one of the only EB sites that isn’t blocked at school…

and now you move it….

oh well…..

good stuff in there, though.

SamWibatt said on Apr. 11, 2009

Awesome! I’ve started reading it all over again. 🙂

A couple of the links are sort of broken – I noticed that the links to Wikipedia for the Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle and Heidi, Girl of the Alps on the Onett page have only one slash after http: in the URL, if you look at the page source. My browser interprets that as a link to earthboundcentral.com with the stuff after the http:/ appended. There might be others, but that’s as far as I’ve read.

Great work!

IceKeyHunter said on Apr. 11, 2009

I’m reading over them again and I have a question, something I’ve always been meaning to ask.

Exactly how much English is a person (I guess in this case a child) in Japan expected to know?

Even now, if I was playing a game and all of the areas on a map were labeled in Japanese, I would be pretty damn confused.

Belasted said on Apr. 11, 2009

I second IceKeyHunter. I never thought about it for more than a few seconds, but I see English in Japanese stuff all the time.

Spitball Sparky said on Apr. 11, 2009

@HAK2: My school has Starmen.net blocked, too, for some reason. I figured it was because it had “men” in the name, and out of context it could sound rather inappropriate so the auto-block system put it on the block list.

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 11, 2009

I liked the old site better, I’m lost here.

solidpit said on Apr. 11, 2009

My school has Starmen.net blocked under “Internet Games”. Whenever I come home, I always go play Earthbound on Starmen.net!

Mato said on Apr. 11, 2009

retard: The menu is right there on the leftbar and at the bottom of every page is a previous/next link.

icekeyhunter: The Japanese are required to take a few years of English in school. Also, using English words is more hip. We don’t have as much as an equivalent here, so it’s hard to explain. It also has some historical roots, with some educational changes and reforms imposed on Japan by the allied forces after WW2.

samwibatt: thanks for telling me, I tried to fix those beforehand but I guess I missed a few.

IceKeyHunter said on Apr. 11, 2009

Thanks, good to know. Incidentally, I was a bit taken aback to your response to Mr. Epic Proportions-until I realized that was his name!

jordina said on Apr. 11, 2009

kudos! ^-^

Belasted said on Apr. 11, 2009

IceKeyhunter: According to this English page: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/30/japanese-survey-links-video-games-to-learning-english (well, just read the link to see)

And Tomato, it links to this Japanese study: http://japan.internet.com/wmnews/20090126/3.html

I can’t read any Japanese, so can you elaborate a bit more?

Darien said on Apr. 11, 2009

Ah, nice! I’m always happy to see M2EB updates, even if I’ll miss the old starry walpaper. 😉

And those “head things” the nurses are wearing are actually called “Nurse’s caps,” as boring as that sounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurse's_cap has the hookup.

Captain Bozo said on Apr. 11, 2009

This news makes me very sad, because my absolute favorite part of your site, was the alt tags.

Mato said on Apr. 11, 2009

Huh? They’re still there, just as title tags. Hover your mouse over the pics. Unless you’re using some really old browser or something.

Kallman said on Apr. 11, 2009

In the fourside section, you mention not seeing the meaning of “Geldegarde” or somesuch? It looks to me like it’s trying to stay on the money theme with “Gold Hoarding” as his name, vaguely?

gwalms said on Apr. 11, 2009

solidpit, you go to WCHS? that looks like our tiger as your icon!

Gary said on Apr. 12, 2009

Mato, will you ever make a Earthbound ROM “original translation patch”? It would be so cool to play this with all of the original Japanese dialog and other awesome scene and name changes you’ve pointed out on M2/EB. Like the fact that Everdred is actually more of a criminal and the whole Tonzura Bros thing.

Any chance that will ever happen, kind of the way you did Mother 3? Or is it just very wishful thinking…

Mato said on Apr. 12, 2009

Depending on how things go (it’s still VERY much up in the air how this is all gonna go down), I might be up for implementing some of the text fixes in the MOTHER 1+2 patch, if the MOTHER 2 part ever takes off. Since the game will already have most of the other stuff in its original form (the bar, for example), that’d be handy.

It’s a HUGE script though, so it’s hard to say anything for sure. But it’s a possibility.

Captain Bozo said on Apr. 12, 2009

Oh sorry, I was on the front page of it XD I thought it was the Onett page at first glance.

massing ness said on Apr. 18, 2011

why compare them there both equley awsome!

massing ness said on Apr. 18, 2011