Prof. Sakamoto & Hyadain Hobonichi Concert
When MOTHER 1+2 and MOTHER 3 were first announced in April 2003, things were pretty exciting. But, little did we know that rumors about the games had been in Japanese magazines since June 2002, almost a full year before 😯
Here’s an except from Famitsu Cube+Advance from the middle of June. I don’t know what issue # it would be, though it’d of course be awesome to somehow get a scan of this someday.
Rumor-chan: There’s word that XX company is reviving one of its past masterpiece RPGs series. And not just any masterpiece, either. The most highly-anticipated masterpieceful masterpiece series that XX company has made. But there’s something even more amazing than that. They’re going to start by selling the revived games, but then they’re going to sell a new sequel on the GBA too!
Truth-kun: Hmm, a masterpiece RPG series by XX company? No way, do you mean “XXXXXX”?! (note: it was specifically set at six blanks like that) I heard that they’re reviving the old games for the GBA, but it’s hard to believe they’d also make a GBA sequel too. But I’d be so happy if it’s true, so I want to believe it!
I could swear that I posted news about this rumor way back in 2002, or that I at least came across it, but I can’t find any old posts about it. Anyway, I’m guessing that this is what led to the rumor in EGM in September 2002 about MOTHER 3 and EarthBound on GBA:
Click to largify, ps anyone got a bigger scan of this?
After that, all was quiet until April 2003, when MOTHER 1+2 and MOTHER 3 were both announced via a TV commercial out of the blue:
I remember that day so clearly. Didn’t do any work that day, instead I spent it translating the commercial, checking for info, updating Starmen.Net like crazy, etc. Too bad it never got released outside of Japan, though 🙁
Other Related Posts:
11 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 and 3 Premonitions
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?