April 21st, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

Here are some more differences between MOTHER 2 and EarthBound for you!

Sometimes I feel like I’m being especially picky with these things, but I do it only when I think the Japanese version adds at least a tiny bit of clarification.

Up next is Summers! And it’ll have like 29 things I gotta write about 😯 I think that might be the biggest page of all, even more than Fourside 1. Anyway, I’ll post that stuff later this week if I can find the time and energy.

14 Comments to M2 vs. EB: Threed + Winters!

rayefrenzy said on Apr. 21, 2009

Don’t worry, Mato. I like it when yer extra picky 😀

santiagoff said on Apr. 21, 2009

Me too , your extra pickyness fills my hunger for obscure differences ;S

Deiphobus said on Apr. 21, 2009

your extra pickyness gives me something to do when leaving homework for later.

Dale said on Apr. 21, 2009

You’ve been on a roll with these lately. Is the progress of this paralleled with the progress of your Mother 1+2 translation’s first draft? Just curious.

Adman said on Apr. 21, 2009

I wonder if anyone’s made a hack of Earthbound with all the censored/editing things returned to normal. An “English Japanese version”.

Deiphobus said on Apr. 21, 2009

@adman
did you reply on the wrong blog post?

santiagoff said on Apr. 21, 2009

Why , Adman , that was asked (or maybe it was suggested) on the last update on this.

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2009

Yes, a few people are working on such a hack, but to be honest, if you go off of only what I’ve included here, there’s not much point. 1) you can read all the differences quickly enough and 2) there are so many miniscule things everywhere that I’m not even bothering to cover.

If Jeffman does work on the M2 part of M1+2, I might be up for a retranslation or at least a tweaking of the existing script, that way people can play the game with all this stuff in there.

But still, it might not be worth the trouble, since I’m usually just being really picky about things and it wouldn’t really enhance or change the gameplay experience.

But x 2: since there doesn’t seem to be much of a future (disclaimer: at the moment) for the Mother series, a crazy project like that wouldn’t hurt too much.

Spitball Sparky said on Apr. 21, 2009

Itoi seems to like describing people with verbs.

Mato said on Apr. 21, 2009

I think it’s probably more of just how the Japanese language tends to be actually. It often sounds awkward in English though, so the descriptions get broken up into different sentences, like you see in this case.

Dale: Yeah, sort of. It’s coming along but this week’s a busy one so I might not have time for it for a few days. It’s coming along nicely though.

night said on Apr. 22, 2009

I love this comparison work you’ve done, keep it up!

Thenumber1yoshi said on Apr. 30, 2009

Might I ask if you’ve compared the two endings of the Japanese Mother 2 to the English Earthbound? (and I don’t just mean the “To be continued” being different to “The End…?” that happens) The reason being is that I read a while back on comments on a Youtube video of the N64 version of Mother 3 that was disproving the Ness look alike model actually being Ness, and this came up.

Someone there said Pokey’s message to Ness during the ending wasn’t the simple “Come and Get Me Loser” that the Earthbound had, they said it was more complicated and had more apparent connections between Mother 2 and Mother 3, they didn’t go into the details though and say what it actually said in the Japanese version, because I think they didn’t know what it really said due to it being in Japanese and they might have been rusty reading it.

But since it was commentary on Youtube I’m not sure how much I can trust it which is why I’m trying to see if it was true or just another person who has no idea what they’re talking about.

So can I ask if you’ve done a comparison of the two endings with the differences between the letter as well? Or if you will be doing it? Because this is really bugging Me. Thanks in advance.

Mato said on Apr. 30, 2009

I haven’t yet, but I probably will do a comparison of them if there are any differences. Even if there are super-slight differenes I’ll probably post them side-by-side, like I’ve done with most everything Pokey’s said in the game already.

Right now I just finished Magicant in both games, so just a little longer until I can compare the endings like that.

nj101 said on Nov. 16, 2009

“Sometimes I feel like I’m being extra picky with these things”

There’s nothing wrong with being picky! 😉