April 16th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’m in the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound groove lately, so I decided to make a new page today. This one covers the monkey caves just after Moonside. It’s amazing how much more I can spot 10 years after I first started my old M2EB site.

I actually have pics prepped and ready all the way up to when Poo joins, and I’m currently at the pyramid in both games. Can’t wait to get this entire game documented finally 😀

16 Comments to M2 vs. EarthBound: Monkey Caves

fnool said on Apr. 16, 2009

I’m assuming you’re playing through both games on an emulator – wouldn’t you be able to save time and not actually have to go through the effort of actually playing them by using one sram file for both? (Assumptions again – this is riding on the supposition that M2 and EB saves are interchangeable…)

Then again, I imagine you could miss some stuff if you did it that way. Whatever the case is, it’s a pretty cool exposé 🙂

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2009

They’re not interchangeable, but it wouldn’t make much sense to do it that way anyway, since I need to play both versions to be able to make the comparisons and screenshots.

santiagoff said on Apr. 16, 2009

WTF I WAS JUST PLAYING THIS PART LOL!

santiagoff said on Apr. 16, 2009

Um. Something Mato.
In the part about Manki Manki , you said it’s japanese name was Yamada Saruo and that that sounded like a real human name except for Saru. I ask you , do you know that Yamada is sometimes taken as the equivalent of Smith but in Japanese?
Kinda like , one of the most common surnames there. That might be the reason.

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2009

I don’t think you understand – I’m not saying “why is he named this?”, I’m saying, “His name is Yamada Saruo, his name was meant to sound like a real Japanese name, except it has ‘saru’ in it.” So, yes, I know Yamada is a common name, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to make that connection 😛

santiagoff said on Apr. 16, 2009

Ahh I see. Interesting.
I’m impressed with your work. Keep up with it!

RCat said on Apr. 16, 2009

Count me among those who didn’t know about the teleport thing initially. I caught on to it about the second playthrough after you teach the monkey in Deep Darkness.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 16, 2009

I love these updates most of all, Tomato. :3

Darien said on Apr. 16, 2009

Talah Rama’s speech about “universes known as man” is actually pretty standard Hindu thought. The Upanishads talk about “Brahaman,” which can be thought of as the essence of reality, and it both a personal and an impersonal thing — Brahman is absolute and unknowable, but is also embodied by every individual. The Chandogya Upanishad introduces the key phrase “Tat Tvam Asi,” which is generally translated as “Thou art That” — the idea that as grand and mysterious as the universe is, each and every one of us *is* that mystery.

So, yeah. Universes known as man. 🙂

Chasmang said on Apr. 16, 2009

I had always assumed the song the monkey spoke about in EarthBound was the actual song playing in the game and never thought the dialog was all that strange.

friek said on Apr. 16, 2009

I am a universe. I feel so good about myself.

Anonymous said on Apr. 16, 2009

This is sort of an off topic question, but is there a way to transfer a translated game onto an actual MOTHER cart?

zedrein said on Apr. 16, 2009

Why does this not have it’s own site anymore? I remember there was a really nicely designed page just for “MOTHER 2 EarthBound and back again”!

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2009
zedrein said on Apr. 16, 2009

NOOOOO!!!!

Belasted said on Apr. 17, 2009

Is there any chance that there is any reference to The Monkees? You know, the cheap US ripoff of The Beatles? One of the monkeys wrote a song. Maybe he was a Monkee.

Find Merchandise!