April 18th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve updated the MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound comparison stuff with a small section about Fourside, mostly focusing on when you go through the Monotoli building. You can see it here. A lot of it is me being picky with the English translation, but I do it to let people know about missed nuances and glossed-over information.

I’m almost up to Magicant screenshot-wise now. I’ll probably finish out the game while I take tons of comparison screenshots, then I’ll compile them, and then I’ll make an update or two a week once I’ve got them all ready to go. So expect lots more comparison goodness in the future 😀

12 Comments to M2 vs. EarthBound: Fourside 3

santiagoff said on Apr. 18, 2009

YAY!

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 18, 2009

Oh, man, Mato. You’re a machine! 😀

santiagoff said on Apr. 18, 2009

Why yes. He’s a machine that creates awesome-ness!

walms said on Apr. 18, 2009

You always say how you’re so nit-picky. I don’t think you are at all. A lot of these things you say are being “nit picky” really change the meaning. I like to read about the nuances lost in the translation.

sg_06 said on Apr. 19, 2009

oh man does that imply that Monotoly lied to Ness, and then tried to send him off in his slightly-in-disrepair helicopter…in a last attempt to follow through with killing the chosen four?!

That might be reading too much into somebody else reading too much into translation differences, but how different that makes Monotoly seem.

Mato said on Apr. 19, 2009

Yeah, it makes me wonder. I’m sure he didn’t have any secret sinister plans for Ness. More like, “Whoops, maybe I should’ve told Pokey beforehand that the helicopter’s warranty expires in a few days and that he shouldn’t go TOO far in it.”

Or maybe he’s just worried about Pokey because maybe Pokey sucks at flying helicopters or doesn’t really know how to.

Giovanni said on Apr. 19, 2009

No sinister insinuations; there’s just no reason to expect a safe end to a kid flying solo.

Anyway, as long as M2vsEB is being prioritized, Buzz Buzz’s first speech is long overdue for a proper full retranslation. Things like his use of a tired old man affectation, the way the prophecy isn’t actually implied to be ancient, and the implications behind each word of the prophecy itself all add up to clarify his original identity and Itoi’s ulterior reasons for putting him in the storyline. More or less reframes the beginning and end of the story and directly connects the plots and themes of all three games.

Can’t recall if his other speeches contained any actual mistranslated info that’s worth scrutinizing, but he generally ended up just being arbitrarily recharacterized by the localizers.

Darien said on Apr. 19, 2009

I always had the impression that he was being more ominous than that; I thought it was more of a “hey, he’s in league with the Evil Forces… geez, I hope he’ll come out of that all right.”

Boneythedog252 said on Jul. 12, 2009

woof woof woof!!! (growls) (If you’re talking about my big brother(King)’s owner, then you are out of your mind!!!)

Giygassucks3463 said on Jul. 12, 2009

Remember the Giygas rap? “Please don’t pray in my vacinity.” If you made ANYONE, even Pokey, write that note, I will MURDER YOU!! DEATH TO GIIIIIYYYYGGGGAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Ness rocks said on Jun. 29, 2010

I think earthbound is a fun game it has pritty good graficts for the most part. i hope to see it on Virtual Console

Matteomax said on Aug. 15, 2011

Hey, Mato, I think I found out what happened with Pokey’s helecopter! When he kidnapped Apple Kid ,he forced him to make the first Spider Mech, and make him use the engine as part of it! ( I guess..) 😀

Find Merchandise!