April 13th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

One of the two main music composers for MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 was Keiichi Suzuki. I’ve posted about some of his stuff in the past (see here, here, and here), but not a lot of people know that he’s pretty active on the Internet too.

If you’re interested in learning more about him, check out web site. What’s especially cool is that he even has an English version of his site 😀

Also, he has a MySpace here. There’s not a whole lot to it, but it has a recent song of his that definitely has his signature EarthBoundy-oddness to it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he had an online presence in many other places, but these are the only two that I know of at the moment. He seems like a pretty cool guy, and I heard that a few years back he was extremely nice when an EarthBound fan asked him about stuff, going so far as to post some MP3s for said fan to hear.

Anyway, check out his sites sometime and learn more about the guy who helped make the awesome EarthBound/MOTHER music 😀

18 Comments to Keiichi Suzuki’s Web Sites

StarFoxA said on Apr. 13, 2009

Interesting, I’ll have to check it out when I get home (at school right now).

What other non-EarthBound related stuff has he done music for, besides the Game Boy Camera?

Sconner said on Apr. 13, 2009

nice

Mato said on Apr. 13, 2009

Hirokazu Tanaka did the GB Camera.

Check Suzuki’s website and browse around in English. A few pages aren’t there but you can still see other stuff he’s worked on.

mitch said on Apr. 13, 2009

No. 9 is extremely Earthboundy, and man, it’s catchy.

Fredrik said on Apr. 13, 2009

When i read the post with a track from his album suzuki white report, i was intrigued. But that cd is darn impossible to find. :<

santiagoff said on Apr. 13, 2009

I can’t find anything on that site =_=

StarFoxA said on Apr. 13, 2009

Oh my bad, I was gonna fact check that.

SamWibatt said on Apr. 13, 2009

Is there any other way to get at the MySpace song? All it does for me is yell that I need to upgrade my Flash player, no matter how many times I install the new Flash player. 🙁

SamWibatt said on Apr. 13, 2009

Aha, got it – cool! I’m sure Beethoven is thrilled, wherever he is. 🙂

Unlimited Lumpia said on Apr. 13, 2009

I always wondered why Keiichi Suzuki didn’t compose the music for Mother 3…

The Mother 3 soundtrack composed by Shōgo Sakai was still pretty good, but it didn’t come close to the catchy quirkiness and vast musical diversity Mother 2 was known for.

bigbangbabyalex said on Apr. 14, 2009

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ufreyr/?v=sm4213974 – here is another song that I think was cowritten with Itoi, and I believe it is track 3 roughly translated as ‘You Are A Gun’ on Keiichi Suzukis solo album, “The Lost Suzuki Tapes”. This video has two versions of the song back to back, both of them are pretty sweet. If anyone wants the audio only I can happily oblige.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jRbiB3Zeg4 – here is a more recent song by Keiichi Suzuki on his latest solo album from 2008, “Captain Hate and First Mate Love”.

http://vgmdb.net/artist/364 – this site lists a bunch of soundtracks he was involved with. For those interested, the Mother soundtrack subsections list which songs he composed and which songs Hip Tanaka composed in the notes part at the bottom of each.

Unlimited Lumpia – theres an interview where Itoi explains why Shogo Sakai was given the duties of writing the music for Mother 3, mostly because he was more personally involved, which can be found here http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_02.html

NickCaz said on Apr. 14, 2009

Boy, that song on his Myspace really gives a Harvest Moon vibe.

Anonymous said on Apr. 19, 2009

Number 9 was the closing credits to tokyo godfathers

great movie but I thought Hirasawa Susumu did all the music for Tokyo Godfathers…

Well Awesome song

bigbangbabyalex said on Jul. 2, 2009

bigbangbabyalex: WOW! thanks for that link with “Kimi wa GAN na no da”, actually the first version is by Uchouten (Japanese new wave band), but the song was originally composed by Suzuki indeed, I’m not sure why it was first released by Uchouten, and then by Suzuki on 1993 (the Uchouten version was released in 1988).
Also, GAN means cancer in japanese, so it means “You have cancer”, the lyrics are really weird.

Naja said on Jul. 2, 2009

Sorry I wrongly used your name in my post above.

Naja said on Jul. 31, 2009

By the way, the lyrics for “kimi wa GAN na no da” were written by Itoi, music by Suzuki.
The lyrics are by far some of the strangest lyrics I’ve ever read. (“You have cancer, wonderfully you have cancer!”)

Reginald Tyrwhitt said on Oct. 22, 2010

Naja, bigbangbabyalex: I think it’s a pun. That’s why GAN is capitalised, to sort of infer that it’s a romanisation of English.

Naja said on Oct. 31, 2011

Reginald Tyrwhitt: Actually, only Uchoten’s version of the song was written as “kimi wa GAN na no da” (actually, 君はGΛNなのだ, Λ instead of A), and the Uchoten album where that song was released was called “GAN”.
But Suzuki’s version of the song (which was actually released years later than Uchoten’s version), is entitled 君はガンなのだ. Japanese people often refer to cancer as ガン (Gan), often in katakana for some reason.
I’ve translated the lyrics and it makes sense that it means “You have cancer”, “you have a gun” wouldn’t make any sense, the song has lines such as “you’re waiting in a cold room, rolling up in white sheets”, “your home, the woman you love, nothing matter anymore, because… wonderfully, you have cancer”.
The song is actually very cold and sinister, but touching and calm at the same time.

Find Merchandise!