I know I still need to write up my huge article about Shigesato Itoi, but for now, here’s something most people probably don’t know about him. In the 80s, among his many other projects and jobs, Itoi hosted a weekly educational show by the NHK (Japan’s national TV station, a lot like our PBS) called “You”.
Here is a video of the opening, plus a tiny bit of young Itoi being the host.
Japanese people now in their 20s and 30s seem to have fond memories of this show, and apparently this show helped introduce him to that new generation, which made him even more well-known. I’ll explain everything in more detail someday, I swear 😛
I should also mention briefly that the song for “You” was done by Ryuichi Sakamoto. He and Itoi are really good friends and they’ve done tons and tons of music together over the years, where Sakamoto would write the music and Itoi would write the lyrics. I’ll probably start showing some of the songs that Itoi’s written lyrics to in the future, so it’s probably a good idea to remember Ryuichi Sakamoto’s name, since it’ll be appearing more often I’m sure.
Other Related Posts:
24 Comments to Itoi the Educational Show Host
- Lucas: @Alex Dyson Try to find him on Skype
- Alex Dyson: I know he has a deviantART account, but he doesn’t use it anymore, so it’s not likely I can contact him. Damn, I got all...
- skyrunner14: @Alex Dyson So yeah, I’m suddenly doubting you. I’d love to be proven wrong, in fact, I think a lot of us here would,...
- DFA: Cool, thanks man. Good looking out =]
- Ak: Yeah, Alex Dyson, your story sounds about as real as these tracks being from mother 3 does (possible but very doubtful)