Swag Watch for Nov. 13, 2011
I know I still need to write up my huge article about Shigesato Itoi, but for now, here’s something most people probably don’t know about him. In the 80s, among his many other projects and jobs, Itoi hosted a weekly educational show by the NHK (Japan’s national TV station, a lot like our PBS) called “You”.
Here is a video of the opening, plus a tiny bit of young Itoi being the host.
Japanese people now in their 20s and 30s seem to have fond memories of this show, and apparently this show helped introduce him to that new generation, which made him even more well-known. I’ll explain everything in more detail someday, I swear
I should also mention briefly that the song for “You” was done by Ryuichi Sakamoto. He and Itoi are really good friends and they’ve done tons and tons of music together over the years, where Sakamoto would write the music and Itoi would write the lyrics. I’ll probably start showing some of the songs that Itoi’s written lyrics to in the future, so it’s probably a good idea to remember Ryuichi Sakamoto’s name, since it’ll be appearing more often I’m sure.
Other Related Posts:
24 Comments to Itoi the Educational Show Host
Featured Item on eBay:
EarthBound Earth Bound WORKING SAVE FUNCTION DUST COVER Super Nintendo SNES 1995
- 2Sang: @youkai not that I ever remember. Would be an interesting interview.
- Youkai: This, for some reason, reminded me of a question I’ve been wanting to know: has Itoi ever commented on Ness and Lucas being in Smash...
- 2sang: I really like the gif whoever made it did a great job
- Leeaux: Well Mother Anniversary.. I certainly wish you were getting more Smash love right now. Or an English release. But you know, the former is...
- Jungyin: Doesn’t Yahtzee love Metroid Prime though? He also likes Eternal Darkness, which isn’t Nintendo made but was exclusively on a...