EarthBound Pogs for Sale!
I know I still need to write up my huge article about Shigesato Itoi, but for now, here’s something most people probably don’t know about him. In the 80s, among his many other projects and jobs, Itoi hosted a weekly educational show by the NHK (Japan’s national TV station, a lot like our PBS) called “You”.
Here is a video of the opening, plus a tiny bit of young Itoi being the host.
Japanese people now in their 20s and 30s seem to have fond memories of this show, and apparently this show helped introduce him to that new generation, which made him even more well-known. I’ll explain everything in more detail someday, I swear
I should also mention briefly that the song for “You” was done by Ryuichi Sakamoto. He and Itoi are really good friends and they’ve done tons and tons of music together over the years, where Sakamoto would write the music and Itoi would write the lyrics. I’ll probably start showing some of the songs that Itoi’s written lyrics to in the future, so it’s probably a good idea to remember Ryuichi Sakamoto’s name, since it’ll be appearing more often I’m sure.
Other Related Posts:
24 Comments to Itoi the Educational Show Host
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER2 mini figure with Stand JEFF Takara Japan
- MysterySprite22: This is weird, but not as weird as the belly warmers. xD
- Toby: I doubt you could get to Jr./Son of Starman, as you would need to have everything memorized to come even close. Besides you also have that...
- something fuzzy: Definitely would’ve been interesting to see a 3D rendition of a Flying Man, but in the end it probably was a wise choice to...
- Supergamerk: I like how they put Earthbound, an RPG with a VERY slow beginning on a time limit. I’d be surprised if you could get to Starman...
- Ostricho: Jess is right, there was a portion with a Ness FP fighter. I remember seeing it, and rewinding to pause it at that screen. EarthBound...