Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #27

April 14th, 2009 | Interviews, Itoi, MOTHER 3

A few weeks back, Shigesato Itoi and the Animal Crossing development team (along with Satoru Iwata) got together to talk about Animal Crossing. Itoi loves the game, and most everyone at his office plays the game as part of their work; there’s a big Animal Crossing section on his site that’s updated all the time.

Anyway, like I mentioned a few weeks back, this meeting wound up being a lot longer than Itoi expected, and they touched on many more topics than they expected, so only now are the logs of this meeting being posted.

According to his site’s schedule, the topic of “Animal Crossing and MOTHER 3″ will be covered. But in the latest update today, some MOTHER 3 stuff came up briefly too.

The original page is here. I’ll translate just the relevant stuff:

(part 3: The Terrifying Nikonikori Village)

Itoi: Okay, shall we take an actual look at Nikonikori Village then? (note: that’s the name of his town in Animal Crossing)

(Everyone watching on can be heard saying, “Creepy…”)

Itoi: See, that’s the reaction it gets.

Iwata: (laugh)

Itoi: So, this is the first floor of my house.

(People in the background say, “Yikes…”)

Itoi: When I started playing, I played with a little kid’s mentality, so there’s a merry-go-round here. It spins around and around and creates this inexplicable creepiness. When Mr. Nagata, a member of my staff, saw it, he said, “Whoa, it’s Porky!”

Iwata: Ah, I see.

Itoi: In Animal Crossing, I find myself doing the things I wanted Porky to do when I made MOTHER 3.

Both: (laugh)

Itoi: All right, let’s check out the second floor.

Iwata: Yeah, this is just like Porky.

Itoi: It’s filled with innocent evil, isn’t it?

(Everyone in the background is reacting with, “Aaah!”)

Iwata: Just by sitting down you get people to react like that.

Itoi: Yep. (laughs)

What’s most important is placing items out of sight. Just like the teddy bears. Also, continuing with the childishness I just talked about, I also have tumbler dolls. The entire second floor is like this. Also, I was happy to get a basement, too. Just having an underground room made me happy. Let’s check out my basement next.

(Everyone can be heard saying, “Creepy…”)

Iwata: This… is intense.

Itoi: I’ve made a labyrinth out of dolls and house plants.

Iwata: So you have…

Nothing much, but since it was Itoi and Iwata talking about MOTHER 3, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to mention it. As you can see, Itoi and pals are really, really into Animal Crossing. The last one I played was the DS version like 3 years ago, and if you want a scary house, mine is the place to go. I made the upstairs floor and walls entirely black, put some torches or something to make a walkway, and put a cow skull at the far end. I got my inspiration from Magus in Chrono Trigger :P

Anyway, I can’t wait until next week when they talk about MOTHER 3 more :D

34 Comments to Itoi, Porky, and Animal Crossing

Poe said on Apr. 14, 2009

I don’t think his house is THAT creepy, just really weird. Seeing shots of his real life house would make me think he’d want to be more organized, but I guess not!

metroidman said on Apr. 14, 2009

Really cool stuff. I can’t wait till next week for the Mother stuff. Its interesting to see Iwata and Itoi talking about it again, since Iwata had a good hand in helping out with Mother 2. Off note a little but Mato did you make those custom tags at the top of the screen for ebay and amazon about EarthBound? I lol so hard at every one! The one about monkeys liking EarthBound is hilarious. If you did make them, keep up the awesome job with it!

Ms Saturn said on Apr. 14, 2009

Itoi did an excellent job with his house in Animal Crossing. Kind of like a miniature New Pork city. =3 I would love to go there on Wifi lol.

Xi said on Apr. 14, 2009

In Japan if someone were to make a reference to “New Pork City” around gamers, would it get as many heads nodding in heads in recognition as “Racoon City”, “Vice City”, or “Midgar” do around here?

Wil said on Apr. 14, 2009

I always felt Animal Crossing had a real ‘Mother’ feel to it. The way everything looked and all that.

_oMeGa_ said on Apr. 14, 2009

It wasn’t really creepy until I noticed the axe on the second story.

SillyStell said on Apr. 14, 2009

Ah Animal Crossing, that games been a drug to me as of late. When I got Animal Crossing I began putting Mother things everywhere (I was playing Mother 3 at the time I just got AC) which ended up in everyone wearing a Ness t-shirt at one point… also my town tune ended up being Smiles and Tears…

santiagoff said on Apr. 14, 2009

Creepy? Nah. Weird? Well , yes , of course!

gwalms said on Apr. 14, 2009

Other than the axe.. I don’t see the creepiness.. I guess I must be creepy.. I don’t see the merry-go-round either though..

Mato said on Apr. 14, 2009

I’m guessing that it’s a cultural thing. I don’t see how it’s very scary or creepy myself, but say you were to walk into a real house and it was laid out like that, you’d probably be like, “WTF is this?!?” Perhaps over there they view things like this as reflections of that person’s heart. Kind of like the toilets in Mother 3, according to Itoi ;)

PKNuMan said on Apr. 14, 2009

It is kinda creepy if you look into it really hard…

gwalms said on Apr. 14, 2009

Its creepy TO look that hard into it!

eew :E said on Apr. 14, 2009

it gives me that forbodeing feeling you get when someone says “not to be scary, but…”

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 14, 2009

My animal crossing dude actually IS porky, I used my Mii of him and made a custom shirt and now he looks exactly like old man Porky.

Dadalama said on Apr. 14, 2009

Well were any of you creeped out when finding Porkey was an old man in mother 3?

To me it does look odd, it’s not creepy but I can see how it would be. I need to get animal crossing.

My first floor would probably be something like the last level of the first episode in Wolfenstein 3D. But I don’t know what animal crossing has.

Sconner said on Apr. 14, 2009

hm….

TBird said on Apr. 15, 2009

Well the hidden homunculus looks like he’s hiding a body. The two dolls side by side remind me of The Shining. Also the painting you can’t see is weird.

Leirin said on Apr. 15, 2009

This is cool because it’s scary not in a blatant “OMG THAT’S FREAKING CREEPY” way, but in a subtle way. That’s how it’s best done. :P Maybe things are also just less scary in Animal Crossing-form if you guys aren’t creeped out, too. Just like what Tomato said, seeing it in real life would make you realize just how strange and dimented it really is…

Anonymous said on Apr. 15, 2009

Does “Nikonikori” mean anything?

Krennthief said on Apr. 15, 2009

I had a feeling Mr. Itoi would be a fan of Animal Crossing. From what you’ve posted about him, Tomato, it’s the kind of thing he’d be into. And he is. Ah, it’s a mellow game. =P

Mato said on Apr. 15, 2009

Anonymous: Off the top of my head, I don’t think so, but nikoniko is the onomatopoeia for smiling.

Anonymous said on Apr. 16, 2009

doesnt the suffix -ri mean village or is that wrong?

Viewtiful_Justin said on Apr. 16, 2009

I’d love to see a full translation of that Animal Crossing page he has. I love that game, and I’d love to see what they’re doing with it.

christine said on May. 4, 2009

OMG i want all da cute teddy bear on the second floor(i only got one :( lol

Thenumber1yoshi said on May. 25, 2009

I know no one must talk here anymore since this is so old, but I do find this a little interesting, also thanks to the new Pro Design Feature for City Folk I was able to create Ness, Lucas, and Claus’s clothes in Animal Crossing, the Lucas and Claus shirts aren’t all that impressive (I knew I should have added more stripes on the front and back yet thought I wouldn’t ruin anything) however the Ness clothes I made look very good and I actually used the actual color sprites (well I did for Lucas and Claus’s as well) and the actual Ness’s backpack sprite from the actual sprites from the SNES game (that had been ripped from the game since I collect sprites) and put it in Anicro (the one with City Folk palettes) and chose the closest color to the backpack so My Ness’s clothes Pro Design has the actual backpack sprite, the design really goes good with the Ness Mii I made when you wear it for your Mii mask.

I also made a Pro Design of the chosen four on each separate sides of the shirt where the pro design allows new designs to be so I have Ness Paula Jeff and Poo on one shirt, though its a little disappointing that the sleeves don’t appear on your villagers so theres only Ness on the front and Paula on the back showing when they wear it.

I wonder if Itoi has a friend code though I’m pretty sure hes really too busy to play with even Japanese Mother fans who also play Animal Crossing.

oinkyescommander said on Jun. 28, 2009

There’s an AXE next to those dolls + an old operating bed + HIDDEN BODY and freaky scarecrow.
Just some stuff I noticed ;P

Thenumber1yoshi said on Jul. 8, 2009

You know this reminds Me that I have to get started on some of those patterns I put in Acrino (I think I spelled that wrong but I can’t be bothered to correct Myself) like the Kirby designs such as Mirror Kirby (Super Star Ultra version) and I still need to find some way to put Lucas and Claus together on a pattern without it looking like Lucas has an overly large head with hardly any hair on his head making his forehead look huge.

Also I wish the Animal Crossing team would come up with a pattern designing system that would be less of a hassle, for a casual game the pattern designing part of it just has never been very casual friendly (not with Me at least) and with Pro Designs its even worse as the whole thing (sleeves, front, and back) has to be stuck on one color pallate, also while I do like being able to design the things to look more like actual shirts I’ve always found the way to make them be a hassle due to the way you have to look at those big rows to design certain things and when the colors look similar it really confuses you and I’ve made tons of mistakes while trying to design certain patterns add that with some that require more than just one side and its one big hassle.

In fact designing patterns in Animal Crossing is one of the few things in a game that can make Me sweat because I either need to concentrate under a bright light or run back and forth from a computer screen back to the T.V. to check things. I also get confused with line numbers and color numbers sometimes.

I just wish they would make the pattern system easier to do by now. Also why don’t some sprites that are basically from the same games on the same system look as good when they’re together on the Acrino? Lucas and Claus when put together look terrible when you look at your choices of pallates and its the same case with Sonic and Kirby designs.

Also I can’t seem to find a good pallate for the Spider Mech Porky (field version) on the Acrino so I can make a good design of him on City Folk. And I shouldn’t even need to tell you how much trouble I’m having getting a good Lucas and Claus together pallate on the thing so I can design it without it looking weird.

Also My town tune in City Folk is The Great Mighty Poo/Sloprano from Conker but I’ve also had Eight Melodies (beginning and the Mother 1 version) as My town tune on Wild World and I’ve also by some miracle managed to also make a Pokey Means Business one (though it cut off a note when it played in some parts of the game)

I have a friend code but My roster is full, but anyways I’d still like to hear about all the rest of you Mother fans Animal Crossing towns and stuff who knows maybe you have something I’d like and vice versa or maybe just something I’d like to hear you share. Well I’ll wrap this up before it gets too long, bye for now.

Lucas said on Nov. 24, 2009

WHAT IS HIS FRIEND CODE AND PHONE NUMBER I MIGHT
JUST GIVE HIM EVERY PIECE OF FURNITURE I HAVE.

I LOVE ITOI, well not LOVE, LIKE

ghostgirl21696 said on Jan. 10, 2010

speaking of animal crossing, for boy characters in city folk, if you made a striped yellow and red shirt (if there isn’t already one in the able sisters) and got a certain boy hairstyle in blond,(sorry,I don’t know which things to say at shampoodle), you will look exactly like Lucas!! (In the game, If it made you look like him in real life, there is something messed with your Wii)

awesomeNess said on Jul. 15, 2010

I bet I could help…if I could get his Friend Code.

The Commander said on Aug. 23, 2010

Blah, There’s a guide for Hairstyle and eyes, not to mention, This scary piece: http://the-masked-commander.deviantart.com/art/WTF-Man-176238545?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Athe-masked-commander&qo=0

Now, was that in the coding? Or Coincidence?

ebfreak said on Nov. 7, 2011

oh itoi,you and your man scarfs…

357 said on Jun. 19, 2012

soeaking of childness and curruption

porky=N?

357 said on Jun. 19, 2012

speaking of childness and curruption

porky=N?