Random Post:

IGN Plays MOTHER 3

April 8th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, MOTHER 1+2, Uncommon Knowledge

In EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1, this song plays in almost all the caves or dungeon-like places. If you’ve played through the game before, you’ve probably heard this a lot. It even plays in Ninten’s basement I think:

(download)

Many years back, when we first started to hack the EarthBound ROM, we discovered a completely unused music track that was clearly meant to be a powered-up version of that EarthBound Zero song:

(download)

This probably isn’t really new news to most EarthBound fans. But did you know that this unused track made it into MOTHER 1+2, too? It did, and here it is:

(download)

60 Comments to Hidden Song in EarthBound

Poe said on Apr. 8, 2009

I love that song and I’m sad that it remains unused in EB. 🙁

mitch said on Apr. 8, 2009

Haha. Curious as to why they put it in Mother1+2 too.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 8, 2009

“What I’ve wanted to do the a long time now is add a secret dungeon in EarthBound filled with difficult enemies and stuff, using the extra map space and other extra space for stuff, and have this song be the background music for said dungeon. Of course, I already have 5001 other projects, so that’ll probably never happen, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.”

Oh man Mato. That would be the best thing ever.

santiagoff said on Apr. 8, 2009

It’d be cool. What a weird music track.

Jotokun said on Apr. 8, 2009

Wow… why is it in 1+2? I guess I’m glad because that means I could probably get a gameshark and hear it without emulation, but there wasn’t really any purpose to do so. Maybe there was something removed from EB that used that track, and they tried to add it back into 1+2 but failed?

Regardless, adding a dungeon that used it would be awesome

Tenniru said on Apr. 8, 2009

Heeey, you know, if it’s in Mother 1+2, and you’re already translating that game (and taking liberties with the graphics)… what’s to stop you from hiding that in the translation?

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 8, 2009

Tenniru: He’s not working on the Mother 2 section, that’s up to Jeffman. Tomato’s only covering the Mother 1 part.

FireStar said on Apr. 8, 2009

I wonder if this was gonna play in Stonehenge base. Weird how it got into Mother 1+2, did they put all of EB into mother 1+2 and it was unnoticed? Also, where did you get the 1+2 version from?

hylatio said on Apr. 8, 2009

Cool, I really like how the song was remixed in Earthbound. It’s too bad it wasn’t used, it would’ve given even more variety to the music.

Krennthief said on Apr. 8, 2009

When I first heard of the song and listened to it, I thought it was the music that played when you read Pokey’s letter at the very end. I spoiled that part by reading stuff up on Wikipedia, and thought that Pokey’s letter would be more ominous and threatening. When I beat the game, however, I found out that it was still the same Pokey that didn’t take things too seriously… And Hidden Track didn’t play. I also thought it was called Hidden Track because the ending with his letter was sort of hidden for impatient gamers who just turned the game off after the actual credits.

Hejiru said on Apr. 8, 2009

Man, when I saw “Hidden song” my first thought was that Totaka’s Song had been uncovered in EB. :p

Love that dungeon music. So eeerie.

R7038XX said on Apr. 8, 2009

What? No link do download the song? What a disappointment. 😛

Spitball Sparky said on Apr. 8, 2009

*shudders* The first time I went into EarthBound’s debug menu I heard that thing and it freaked me out so much. That’s a creepy track, no two ways about it. It isn’t too bad at first, but then it gets horribly screechy and sounds like something unworldly being tortured. The fact that it is unused makes it even more disturbing.

I figured it was supposed to be used in the tunnel beneath Threed.

Mato said on Apr. 9, 2009

R7038XX: Which song? If you want the EB version, here you go.

millhouse said on Apr. 9, 2009

God I love that song. Why, oh why, didn’t they include it into EarthBound??

And that project idea of yours sounds awesome. If I had more time at my fingertips and knew how to use PK Hack, I’d do it. instantly. A dungeon below Onett that continues on the story and explains a few of the inconsistencies between M1, M2 and M3.

Maybe you would find the Great Great Grandfathers Diary in that Dungeon? Or the XX Stone? you know, finding out that Onett was built on top of Mt.Itoi, anything of that sort.

FireStar said on Apr. 9, 2009

Is there a download link for the 1+2 version?

Grant said on Apr. 9, 2009

Totaka’s Song?

Mato said on Apr. 9, 2009

OK, I added download links for all three songs. I honestly didn’t think anyone would care enough to download it. Guess that proved me wrong 😛

Hejiru said on Apr. 9, 2009

Grant if you’re asking about it:

R7038XX said on Apr. 9, 2009

I was just joking around. You didn’t have to. 🙁

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 9, 2009

This song was on the Mother 2 soundtrack, right? I THINK it was. I downloaded it right along with the rest of the soundtrack a while ago, anyway. So I’m familiar with it to a point. Shame it never got used in the game.

Reminds me of the unused second battle track in Chrono Trigger, which finally gets used in the DS version for the monster arena. Only this track is far more intriguing. Is it just because it’s Earthbound, or is there something else…?

Ryan said on Apr. 9, 2009

Wait, I’m confused. Did this song get actually get used in the game in Mother 1+2, or was it also just found when hacking the ROM?

Hidden Song in EarthBound said on Apr. 10, 2009

[…] VoteHidden Song in EarthBoundMany years back, when EarthBound Central first started to hack the game ROM, they discovered a completely unused music track that was clearly meant to be a powered-up version of a Mother cave and dungeon theme.1 votes  by jeriaska  on 2009-04-09  1 comment    […]

Lampdevil said on Apr. 10, 2009

The Earthbound version of the song is really really creepy. Ominous, even. It’s the steady thump… thump… thump of the beat that does it. Maybe it was taken out for being too scary?

PSInesslove93 said on Apr. 10, 2009

this is so eerie/creepy but i really like it… >:D

Shamu said on May. 25, 2009

Seriously, why did they put this in the MOTHER 1+2 soundtrack when it’s not even used in it?

Hunter said on May. 31, 2009

Creepy song is creepy. No fooling!

DDLD said on Jun. 17, 2009

Well,I think it doesn’t fit the whole atmosphere of the whole game,so they left it.

DDLD said on Jun. 17, 2009

It makes player think that ,that……it comes back to Mother 1,however,it’ a cool song.

jon said on Sep. 14, 2009

Seems like this would have been perfect to put in the cave where you first find the Mani Mani Statue and Liar X. agerate

MarkNES said on Nov. 27, 2009

I think the SNES version may be the most disturbing…

tsukihime said on Nov. 28, 2009

I’ve always hated hearing the track because it’s frigging creepy. The original Mother song wasn’t creepy at all, but the EB verion is just so overlayed with a bunch of different things that it gets too complex. It’s too complex and creepy for EB. That’s why I think it isn’t there.

apsolutely no one said on Nov. 28, 2009

That’s pretty stanking creepy. BUT it’s also really awesome. Especially the second and third one. Maybe it was to awesome to put on EarthBound, If there really is something too awesome to go into EarthBound.

Chuck Norris, maybe?

Hiro-chimera said on Jan. 14, 2010

I think using this as a secrete dungeon with extra story plot would be pretty cool. But I think it should be an unlockable like after beating Giygas you can gain access to the cave and you learn more about the events of mother 1 and some monsters from mother 1 that were not in mother 2 should be included… or! If the game can generate enough space with a super good hacker. Relating to Mato making the Mother 1 remake from Earthbound that after you defeat Giygas you can go to the secrete dungeon but it’s a huge maze. After exploring you find and old XX stone. After you touch it you get teleported back to 1988 in the area and events of Mother 1. In my oppinion I think it would be pretty cool but someone would really have to have good hacking skills and enough time on their hands.

SeanPeden said on Jan. 19, 2010

Wow, that track is pretty sick, and strangely scary, because I never thought the MOTHER track to be even remotely creepy. Shame it wasn’t used, it could make the ending events of EB even MORE emotionally powerful (or disturbing, or both).

“Something unworldly being tortured”

I think Giygas fits that description quite well, don’t you?

death said on Feb. 22, 2010

oh so thats why when i heard the song in earthbound it sounded fammiliar i watched a walkthrough on Mother 1+2

PUMPK!N said on Feb. 28, 2010

That track sounds a lot to me like an EarthBound version of the Super Mario Bros. underground music.

Kyoo said on Mar. 6, 2010

I could have sworn I heard this song before on earthbound. i think what I did. was some type of code. then i started a new game. and then I walked through the wall right after I got off the bed. and then I think at some point eventually I heard this song… i could be wrong but I’d say my memory of hearing this has a 72% chance of being real. if I could only remember how I did it. I was walking into blackness. and I think once the music changed it was a signal to change my direction… you know instead of writing about it. I’ll look it up to see if it’s a true memory or just something I dreamed about 😛

Unknown said on Mar. 18, 2010

dude,it sounds so freakin’ awesome if you play all 3 together simultaneously! 8D

Mr. Saturn said on Mar. 21, 2010

Nintendo: Ok, we’ve done the Mother portion of the game, now how is Mother 2 doing? Remember, we’ve got to make it exactly like the original. That includes unused music.

Some Random Guy: WAY AHEAD OF YOU!

Anonymous said on Jun. 23, 2010

Wow, thats pretty good.

TehName said on Jun. 23, 2010

O.o What is the second one what happends when Ninten eats Magic cake in his basement?!

Hunter said on Aug. 6, 2010

The Mother1+2 version sounds like it was remixed by a Starmen.net user.

IspPk said on Nov. 29, 2010

Wait….iheard this song on the game allready.

Gronush said on Dec. 2, 2010

in Super Smash Brothers there was going to be an 8 melodies remix but it was took out =(

Gronush said on Dec. 2, 2010

super smash brothers brawl just in case you wanted to know which one

StarFan said on Dec. 3, 2010

I have all the Earthbound songs on my ipod 😀

Josh said on Jan. 17, 2011

I just beat Earthbound Zero…and I’m almost SICK of that song…still love it though!

X said on Feb. 6, 2011

The song plays at the very beginning of Mother 2 iirc. It plays when Ness, King and “Pokey” go searching for Picky after “Pokey” abandoned him while inspecting the meteor.

t4ash08g said on Mar. 11, 2011

Not using a song,make a remake,remake that song only to unuse again.really nintendo.REALLY

Mrstaplez said on Apr. 8, 2011

Sigh, this would be so cool for an extra feature in the Mother 1 + 2 patch. Never gunna happen, I know, but still cool to nerd fantasize about 😉

BigDream said on Jul. 18, 2011

Can someone tell me where that unused song in MOTHER 1+2 appeared?
Which part of MOTHER 2 GBA???

Fortenium said on Jul. 18, 2011

It’s unused, meaning it appears nowhere in the game unless you dig into the code. You can probably get the miniGSF somewhere online, and odds are you will find the song within the files.

Rock said on Jul. 18, 2011

Yeah, Mato posted the GSF files for that, and the unused song is there. There are like, 5 or more unused songs, weird, considering that there’s only one on the SNES version of MOTHER 2.

GieguesFoot said on May. 8, 2012

I listened to this once on YouTube and when it did that three little voice FX going higher and then lower i felt like i was going to scream, I would’ve but my mom was taking a nap. *is replaying song in head from memories* *eyes widen* Please don’t hurt me giygas!

Meiko said on Jun. 22, 2012

It’s a little creepier and more disturbing than the happy happy is blue song.

Jinxkatty7 said on Jul. 9, 2012

I LOVE IT! <3 🙂

IstheCakeReallyaLie? said on Aug. 17, 2012

Someday.

Fussypickler123 said on Dec. 17, 2013

I think this could had Been used for a scary mesage if you had a pirate copy

Lucas said on Feb. 1, 2014

Creepy Message like Sonic CD was.