It’s The EarthBound Hacktoberfest!
Since today is MOTHER 3’s anniversary and all, I thought now would be a good time to look at Weekly Famitsu’s review of MOTHER 3 from three years ago.
It got a 35 out of 40 points possible, which is a pretty sweet score. It was the highest rated game that issue, with the second closest game getting a 28. If you’re curious, MOTHER 2 got a 34 when it came out, I’ll post that scan and review another day, though.
Anyway, here’s what each of the four reviewers had to say about MOTHER 3:
The game pulls you right in at the beginning and moves at a very quick and solid pace until about the halfway mark. The difficulty increase of the battles is exquisite, and the last half of the game doesn’t drag on at all. Filled with adventure and music. The wit-filled direction is just great. Even setting aside the difficulty of getting the timed attacks in battle, I’d recommend this rare piece of art to everyone. (10 points)
The story / scenario is marvelous. I unconciously grinned at the delivery of the characters’ lines. The art may be simple, but a lot of detailed attention was given to the game’s direction. The game engine may not be unconventional, but you can play it with an easy mind. (8 points)
You can feel the amount of attention paid to the tiny details in the text, the world is unique, and the music is very memorable. Players new to the series might feel perplexed. If you don’t let the look of the game’s engine or its age get to you, you can probably enjoy it. The feature that lets you avoid hard work if you pull off combos in battle by matching to the music is also a big plus. (8 points)
Just as the slogan says, the strange and sad story immerses the player until the very end. The music in the Sound Battles has charm that reinforces the phrase, “Sound is fun!” (9 points)
Famitsu also has Reader Reviews, but my Famitsu magazines are freshly buried deep in the back of my closet and I don’t want to go and dig them up. If someone happens to have the reader review scores/scans, please let me know, or else I probably won’t get to them for a year or two 😯
Also, if anyone has the Famitsu review for MOTHER 1+2, please let me know!
Other Related Posts:
50 Comments to Famitsu’s Review of MOTHER 3
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...