EB Zero Remake Demo Video
Many years ago, EarthBound hackologists managed to figure out how to hack the intro screens and the title screen of EarthBound. This was a breakthrough, but there was still a problem: actually making good title screens was tough, especially with the many technical limitations involved.
So it was a nice surprise when the other day MightyYT showed me an intro and title screen hack he (I assume it’s a he 😛 ) made. It tries to replicate the MOTHER 2 intro as closely as possible, without doing any programming changes (cause that crap’s hard, trust me). The end result isn’t a 100% perfect replica of the MOTHER 2 stuff, but is still very impressive, especially from a technical standpoint!
Here it is in video form:
MightyYT also made some screenshots for easy comparison (EarthBound on the left, hack on the right):
If you’re interested in trying it out for yourself, the version 1.0 IPS patch is here. Use the EarthBound Easy Patcher to apply the patch to an EarthBound ROM (or, if you know what you’re doing, apply it manually using your tool of choice, but be sure to expand the ROM to 32 Mb properly).
There’s apparently a bug if you press a button before the title screen animation ends. I dunno what the deal is, but I thought I’d mention it.
Anyway, here’s some stuff from MightyYT himself:
In the effort to contribute something cool to the EarthBound community, over the past few weeks, I’ve put a lot of time & effort into PK Hacking EarthBound so that it would have an intro like Mother 2’s. Although the “Gas Station” screen is exactly as it was in Mother 2, the “Title Screen” is as close as I could get it (without doing any ASM hex editing). Trust me when I say I am a perfectionist and went to great lengths to get it as good as it looks now. I hope you enjoy my labor of love!
Hacking EarthBound is very tough – and I say this even after hacking MOTHER 3 – so seeing people fight the good fight againt EarthBound’s code is always great to see 😀
Other Related Posts:
14 Comments to EarthBound with MOTHER 2’s Intro
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...