April 14th, 2009 | EarthBound

The new issue of Nintendo Power is out, and this month’s Virtual Console poll was again dominated by EarthBound and EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1. Here’s a scan of the full poll, courtesy of KingDarian.

It looks like the next poll is going to be about the most wanted RPGs on the Virtual Console. Will EarthBound prevail? Or will Tecmo’s Secret of the Stars come out of nowhere to win in an upset?

EarthBound has been #1 in every Nintendo Power Virtual Console poll possible so far: see here.

41 Comments to EarthBound Tops VC Poll Again

Jotokun said on Apr. 14, 2009

Nice! Next poll should be an easy victory for EB as well. Even with the risk of lawsuits over it, I think these polls show that there is a market for this game and they’d probably make up the court costs in raw sales.

metroidman said on Apr. 14, 2009

God I wish Nintendo would just stop being greedy and give the fans just ONE game they want! We didn’t get Disaster, Trace Memory is a no go so far, Fatal Frame got the shaft and not to even mention Mother 3. The least they could do is get off their cash piles and settle in court over the legal issues and get some good rep from the hardcore scene on the virtual console! I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY NINTENDO! PLEASE TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!111

Gary said on Apr. 14, 2009

Release it already! Nintendo would make so much money! It would easily become the #1 most downloaded game of all time in a few months.

The Great Morgil said on Apr. 14, 2009

I just got the issue yesterday, and was thrilled to see it back. It sucks, though, that Mother 1 got bumped down to third. What was the category this time that allowed EB to qualify?

gwalms said on Apr. 14, 2009

Yep, you need a static poll page!:)

santiagoff said on Apr. 14, 2009

Will Nintendo ever answer us?

Mato said on Apr. 14, 2009

OK, I made the static page finally: http://earthboundcentral.com/virtual-console-polls/

I added it to the Articles page: http://earthboundcentral.com/articles/

I need to update and organize the articles page better sometime though. Plus I bet a lot of new stuff could go in there.

Wil said on Apr. 14, 2009

Wow! I had no idea that it had been reigning for so long. 8 months in a row! How can they say no?

gwalms said on Apr. 14, 2009

Thnx Mato 🙂

Hejiru said on Apr. 14, 2009

OK, it’s been topping the VC polls for forever, and Nintendo STILL refuses to do it? W! T! F!!!

PKNuMan said on Apr. 14, 2009

Earthbound will prevail. (BTW I have this issue, and I showed my sister she was surprised that it was still #1)

sticktendo said on Apr. 14, 2009

Good-freakin’-Giygas! Aagin? Wow…

Sam9938 said on Apr. 14, 2009

NP staff was probably told to not vote for Earthbound, ohhhhhh, maybe someday 🙁

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 14, 2009

I noticed that the staff’s #3 pick is available now. Don’t you just LOVE the inherent delays of printed magazines? 😛

And again, I only wish these polls actually MEANT something! I’d rather Earthbound DIDN’T keep winning, if it’s not actually going to release. Winning with no release is an insult.

Xi said on Apr. 14, 2009

I gave up hope on the Virtual Console a long time ago… I would have gladly paid for my entire library plus some more games when it came out, as the batteries on most of the paks are due to die soon. I know most people around these parts have given up and gotten a modded XBOX with all the emulators/roms on them, as it has become more of a party hit. I’d love to play all my games on the VC, but I’d also like to not have to wait until 2020 to do so (and on a version that removes all lawsuit-prone references as well).

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 14, 2009

Come on Nintendo, Mothers 20th anniversary is in 1 week, PLEASE RELEASE IT!

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 14, 2009

Xi: NO!! PLEASE DON’T DIE ON ME, MY PRECIOUS EB CART!

zedrein said on Apr. 14, 2009

I am eager to see what happens when they finally release MOTHER 2 in Japan.

Steven said on Apr. 14, 2009

I honestly don’t think I’d want to play Earthbound on the VC if they had to SEVERELY alter it in order to release it.

reggiggiggeiee said on Apr. 15, 2009

sorry guyz no erthbound i dunno whut the plan is with it even tho im the persident

Vitaliy said on Apr. 15, 2009

To us EarthBound fans this says “please release it!” But to Nintendo employees, it just says “Oh God, this game again…”

pooppoop said on Apr. 15, 2009

“Aren’t the batteries on the Earthbound paks scheduled to die really soon? We’re closing in on 15 years…V”

i thought snes internal batteries charged when you played them.

The Alex said on Apr. 15, 2009

Regardless of however long SNES cartridge batteries supposedly last, video game repair store or vintage game shop will replace it for a meager $5. At least in NYC they do….

the retard of epic proportions said on Apr. 15, 2009

Wait, My NES carts are still working, why shouldn’t EB?

santiagoff said on Apr. 15, 2009

retard: well , i’ve seen many reports of earthbound carts glitching after excessive play.

Leirin said on Apr. 15, 2009

>:(

Donkey Kong 64 but no Banjo Kazooie?!

KingMike said on Apr. 15, 2009

As much as I love EB, let’s create a bad list just to scare them.

Not voting Secret of the Stars, just because we need a terrible list.

Lord of the Rings SNES,
Drakken,
Stargazers,
Hydlide (or maybe Super. I love it that equipping a suit of armor results in you taking a whole minute to walk the screen width),
AD&D Heroes of the Lance.

Deiphobus said on Apr. 15, 2009

@ leirin
Rare is owned by microsoft now, so there’s no chance of banjo kazooie coming to virtual console.

Kamanashi said on Apr. 15, 2009

Nintendo obviously doesn’t listen to the consumer like they say they do.

Digitalized said on Apr. 17, 2009

I know, really. Release what people want, not what Nintendo Staff wants. You’d get way more money for MOTHER or EB instead of like, Super Punch Out!!

GhostSonic said on Apr. 18, 2009

reggiggiggeiee: Please be a troll.

I think the reason Mother got bumped down to one has to do with the fact that Majoras Mask was released for the VC in Europe, and more people want it to be released in America now.

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 21, 2009

You know what?

If it were legally possible for EarthBound to be released on the Virtual Console, they would have put it on there a LONG time ago.

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 21, 2009

But Mother is a different story altogether.

Karma said on May. 4, 2009

“God I wish Nintendo would just stop being greedy”

Yes. Because NOT releasing a game for whatever specific reason (even copyright reasons) somehow equates to “greed”, right?

Greed of… what, exactly? The money that they AREN’T making by not releasing it?

Yes, because when I think of “greed”, the first thing that comes to mind is NOT making money. That makes so much sense.

Look, people. I know for some of you, using your brains is a tiring challenge, but bear with me here.

If they are missing out on making some cash by not having a “most wanted” game officially released, doesn’t it stand to reason that there are at least a FEW other things that might be getting in the way of it’s release?

Just a thought, people.

And I know some of you really need them.

Anonymous said on Aug. 10, 2009

O_O Megaman the Wily Wars! Great! I hope it gets released… and please release EarthBound! There’s no big deal! Just release EarthBound for VC and M3 for the DSi ware!

PKSTARMAN said on Aug. 10, 2009

sorry i was that guy

N0 3y3 d33r said on Aug. 13, 2009

The sad part is that most of the copyrights are simply for homages to some famous songs of the past that have new owners nowadays 🙁

earthboundfan said on Feb. 17, 2010

If the “copyright guys” see that MANY people want Earthbound in VC, maybe they WILL let Nintendo release it! I pray to the Chosen Four so Nintendo can release it. *prays*

Soiherduliekeb said on Mar. 3, 2010

Nintendo has been making pointless and boring new games, If you’re not going to release Mother 3 or 64 or for that matter, Mother 1 In America…. You get the point, If you Don’t……….. it’s basically

STOP WASTING USEFUL DATA ON GARBAGE VIDEO GAMES AND REMAKE A CLASSIC! Look at how many other games like Mario and Sonic, got several sequels, Give us our turn, If you truly love the mother series enough to buy a 600$ Mr.Saturn, You won’t stop trying, or make negative comments on how it won’t be released….unless it’s reverse psychology

doabarrelroll said on Jun. 6, 2010

I would pay a thousand dollars for the trillogy of mother games to be realeased NINTENDO DO IT NOW

angryreimu said on Jul. 4, 2011

yesterdaY I just noticed this.

Find Merchandise!