April 1st, 2009 | Auctions, Merchandise, MOTHER 3

I mentioned it the other day, but the MOTHER 3 Handbooks recently shipped, and if you had preordered early enough, you would’ve also gotten a bonus Courage Badge keychain, which is really high-quality:

(note: this pic is from a proof, the final versions are even nicer)

What’s crazy is that now that the handbooks have shipped, these keychains are starting to pop up on eBay. One is at $27.50 right now, and another is at $99.99! Given that the handbooks + all the bonuses cost only $20, that’s some craziness right there! Check out the auctions and the descriptions even:

Reid and company may have found a way to print money! In any case, I don’t think I’ve ever seen unofficial merchandise treated this way. It’s really interesting πŸ˜€

26 Comments to Courage Badge Keychain Bonanza!

Mr. Beefy said on Apr. 1, 2009

Damn, a freakin bill for a keychain.. thats not even official. ONLY MOTHER fans could do such a thing. We’re that crazy. Also would anybody know when the production run for the handbooks are going to run dry.. forgot to order one when I had the cash. Just want to know if they’ll be available when I get back home middle of next month, knowing us crazed fans I wouldn’t bet on it but one can only hope.

Mato said on Apr. 1, 2009

I don’t handle any of that stuff, but I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to buy a copy probably anytime. Reid got a whole bunch of extras printed for non-preorder people, and if those all get sold out, he can just have some more printed.

Mr. Beefy said on Apr. 1, 2009

Thanks Mato and while I’m at it I might as well give you some long overdue thanks for translating M3 for us.. finally got the time to play it and by god is it awesome

AbstractedThought said on Apr. 2, 2009

Any plans on selling the keychain as a separate product?
I forgot to preorder. πŸ™

reidman said on Apr. 2, 2009

Yup, but it won’t be the same product. The keychains that are now popping up on eBay (lol, crazy) are, indeed, limited editions which will never sell again. In a few months when our next minted product shows up in the store it will be slightly different πŸ™‚

beams said on Apr. 2, 2009

Guys, You struck a serious gold mine >.>

Jesse said on Apr. 2, 2009

Oh wow, too bad I like my key chain too much to sell it. Plus, it could be a way to find other mother/earthbound fans haha. πŸ˜€

James said on Apr. 2, 2009

I could never sell mine. I need it to protect my car keys from lightning!

Millhouse said on Apr. 2, 2009

You know, that’s why they’re called courage badge. You gotta have the guts to trust it.

Also, will the new badhes be out of metal or will they only be cheap plastic badges?
I want one of those badges!!

Also, have you thought about creating an exclusive starmen.net MOTHER3 deluxe box? You know, shirt, Flash cart for patchashanza, keychain, the Handbook, etc…

Mr. Beefy said on Apr. 2, 2009

I would pay upwards of $150 for what Milhouse just described.

Xi said on Apr. 2, 2009

Isn’t it also supposed to come with a book cover/poster? How are those things faring?

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Apr. 2, 2009

Curses. I should’ve ordered two Handbooks…

Also:

“Just uh, know that these things are made out of nickel, which actually conducts electricity, so don’t use it in real battle if you got one!”

The irony is palpable.

Adam said on Apr. 2, 2009

I hope the final copies are made shiny.

Boing.

santiagoff said on Apr. 2, 2009

I should have preordered one when I had the time! D:

Not Wolf said on Apr. 2, 2009

What’s interesting is that apparently what sets apart the $30 keychain and then $100 dollar keychain is the Fangamer drawing!

That’s one valuable doodle!

fiyeroblue said on Apr. 2, 2009

Mato, you lied to me.
Protection from lightning was the only reason I got my badge.

Flint said on Apr. 2, 2009

I preordered mine on the first da, still it hasn`t arrived (it doesn’t surprise me as I ordered mine by snail mail) I just got one question, Did you guys got an e-mail telling you that your anthology has been shipped, because I got non.

HossTehMaster said on Apr. 2, 2009

Wait it CONDUCTS electricity?! Ha, I can see it now.

“Masked man fired an intense bolt of lighting.”

“Lucas pulled out his Mother 3 handbook promotional courage badge key chain.”

“The key chain amplified the electricity.”

“Lucas suffered mortal damage” that or by that time he turned into garbage or something…

Deiphobus said on Apr. 2, 2009

i lol how it conducts electricity instead of repelling it

Grant said on Apr. 2, 2009

What will be the difference between the limited edition keychains and the new ones?

Darien said on Apr. 2, 2009

The new ones will ship all dirty and grimey and you’ll have to buy a giant Mr. Saturn doll to clean them for you.

Satsy said on Apr. 3, 2009

I’d have loved to preorder, but I’m already quite thin on the cash front, so for me it wouldn’t have been sound. Although I do like the looks of the keychains (they’re extremely well made by the looks of things) and I do hope the others are of an equally good quality.

I mean I’d buy one off without preordering. It’s an awesome idea. I likes me my keychains.

Difegue said on Apr. 3, 2009

That’s aberrant false advertisement
I thought they repelled electricity
I want my 20 bucks back >:O

Well actually I have it right in front of me, and the detail put into it is really awesome. I’m so happy to have preordered πŸ˜€

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 3, 2009

You notice the $99.99 guy posted it as “Buy it Now or Best Offer,” meaning it hasn’t actually been bid up that high. I doubt it’ll sell for more than $50, and even THAT seems generous. Then again, the other one is currently at $36.50, so you never know.

Any way about it, I’m most likely NOT selling mine. It’s still in the package it came in, and may stay there. Or I might actually use the darned thing for its functional purpose. Haven’t decided yet.

Is there actually a difference between the Franklin Badge and the Courage Badge, or was that just a translation difference?

Mato said on Apr. 3, 2009

Heh, aaaand here’s another one. This is such an interesting phenomenon. reid should auction off all the other ones he has to get lots of easy money πŸ˜‰

Nick said on Apr. 5, 2009

And another and probably more to come!

Find Merchandise!