MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

March 8th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up

This week marks the site’s second month since it opened. Hard to believe it’s already been that long.

Things were a little more laid-back this week, but there was still some cool stuff that happened. Amazing how there’s still so much news and misc. stuff to look at and explore even after all this time. That’s the power of obsession!

Anyway, let’s get this round-up started!

Site News

• I set up a Twitter account for EarthBound Central stuff
  • I’m planning to have short but regular videos at some point. They’ll be interesting of course 😛 It’s all still in the early stages, but I might need to get someone to do some intro/outro music that I can stick to the start and end of each video. If you’ve got the time and skills, lemme know.

EarthBound News

Cool Auctions & Merchandise

Here’s just a few things on eBay right now. You can always check the latest listings in one easy spot here if you’re looking for deals on something!

Here’s some cool stuff from Yahoo! Auctions Japan:

And some stuff I recently dug up on Amazon.com:

Community News

I can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community (I’m not fully robotic yet), so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!

What’s Up With Itoi

This week I didn’t really follow Itoi’s exploits very closely, though I did save a post or two he made for possible future translation. I guess he got sick right after he returned from his company-wide vacation to Bali. He found that MOS Burger sells croquette rolls or something like them now, so he was really happy about that and gives them his thumbs up. If you don’t remember, croquette rolls were his new favorite food during MOTHER 3’s development, enough to the point that they were one of the default favorite food names and even got mentioned in the game in a place or two. I guess he’s still crazy for them. I’ll go into more detail about his croquette roll obsession in a future update.

Upcoming Stuff

I didn’t get around to the import-related update that I was planning for last week, but I think I’ll instead make that its own big article at some point rather than some small update. I think we’ll have another M2EB update this week, possibly a look at GamePro’s 1995 review of EarthBound, and some unknown factoids about EarthBound. And then all the other regular stuff and all that, of course 😀

End

These weeks are going by so fast now. Almost feels like the site is starting to grow up before my very eyes 😛 Anyway, as always, if you have any news or suggestions of cool stuff that might be worth an update, let me know!

15 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #8

Darien said on Mar. 8, 2009

I get the new merchandise categories for the most part — Kristof, Blues Brothers, so forth. But what relation does The Goonies have to Earthbound?

Mato said on Mar. 8, 2009

It also served as inspiration for stuff in MOTHER 2. It was even on display at the M1+2 event: see here.

Difegue said on Mar. 8, 2009

E.T also served as inspiration stuff? Weird.

Shogun Wedding said on Mar. 8, 2009

Weird, I recently ordered The Notebook and the other two are on the way.

I haven’t read the others yet, but it seems like Mother 3 might have been made as a kind of anti-Notebook – it’s about love and redemption, while The Notebook is about pain and endurance. Only Claus later in the game seems anything like the twins in the book.

I think I’ll write more about this when I’ve read them all.

Dale said on Mar. 8, 2009

Grats on two months, Tomato… keep up the good work!

Poe said on Mar. 8, 2009

Hah, that EB movie topic got locked for lack of substance. Figured that would happen.

Xi said on Mar. 8, 2009

“Mother 2 Super Challenge Book”

Is that just a cool way of saying strategy guide or does it offer some “challenges” in some form or fashion?

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 8, 2009

Aww, the EB Movie topic got locked. Hope something actually becomes of that.

Mato said on Mar. 8, 2009

Xi: I don’t have a copy of my own so I can’t say for certain, but I have heard that it’s a bit different from regular strategy guides.

sg_06 said on Mar. 8, 2009

oh hey I have some time and skills to make sounds…

…maybe.

where do I apply? 😀

Jimi said on Mar. 8, 2009

I don’t know if this is worth mentioning or not, but I was able to try American Chicken Croquette. I just got two at a farmer’s market, and I came home and me and my girlfriend put them on bread. They were quite tasty, but I think if we had some from a place that specializes in Croquette… Well…

But thank you for that link for the Kristof book. I may have to look into that.

Kita Khyber said on Mar. 8, 2009

I’ve been doing electronic music production as a hobby for a couple of years; I’d be glad to assist you in that area if you ever need it 😀

Pigmask Private said on Mar. 8, 2009

Um… Weeky Roundup? XD

Still, congrats on another great week.

Mato said on Mar. 8, 2009

Heh, good catch 😛

Xi said on Mar. 8, 2009

Mato: I just purchased it, so we’ll see how it works out. Thanks for the link! =)