MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10*

March 28th, 2009 | Itoi, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

Since we’re already on the subject of Itoi and Studio Ghibli (see here), I thought I’d go into a little more detail about their connection. In the offchance you’ve never heard of Studio Ghibli or Hayao Miyazaki, see here. Just know that they’re like THE ultimate Japanese animation company, akin to Disney here I suppose.

Anyway, first and most well-known outside of Japan is that Shigesato Itoi voiced the father in My Neighbor Totoro, one of the most famous Studio Ghibli works of all time. I can’t seem to find a video clip showing him off, and I’m sure that even if I did find one, it’d be off YouTube mighty quick, but if anyone can help get a clip anyway, that’d be awesome 😀

Next, because Itoi’s real job is copywriting, something he was famous for, Studio Ghibli asked him to figure out the slogans/catch phrases for about fourteen of their movies, like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Kiki’s Delivery Service. It’s not as easy a job as it sounds, though, as you can see in this video:

Skip to 4:46 for the Itoi stuff

Another thing Itoi does for a living is that he interviews (well, more like just chats with) all his friends, acquaintances, and people he’d like to know more about. He posts these on his super-popular site. He’s of course done this with Studio Ghibli people, as you can see here.

Also: peekaboo!

I should also mention quickly that there’s a reference or two in MOTHER 3 to Itoi’s past work with Studio Ghibli. He talks about it somewhere in this gigantic MOTHER 3 interview.

9 Comments to Shigesato Itoi and Studio Ghibli

Cuflock said on Mar. 28, 2009

Itoi RLZ

Deiphobus said on Mar. 28, 2009

is there no end to itoi’s awesomeness?

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 28, 2009

Oh, Itoi, you wacky little man. Makin’ games, copywriting, being awesome. Dude’s crazy.

Chasmang said on Mar. 28, 2009

I think “Gods will never be tame” and “A storm of love and violence” both summed up Princess Mononoke quite well.

I’m sure there’s something lost in translation in several of his proposed slogans, but even with the language barrier, I think it’s obvious that Itoi has a way with words.

Old West said on Mar. 28, 2009

That’s a very moving MOTHER3 interview you have there. I never thought it was possible for me to respect Itoi any more than I already do, but just reading about his philosophies on game design, storytelling, and life and existence is…a renewing feeling.

We’re so lucky to have him as the author of this magnificent series.

Harveyjames said on Mar. 29, 2009

‘Princess Mononoke: At Whom Do You Think You’re Pointing An Arrow?’

my abs are sick said on Mar. 29, 2009

I like Itoi’s sensitive approach to copywriting. It makes more sense than the crazy advice to “monetize, monetize, monetize” other copywriters give, disregarding the humanity of their audiences.

I gotta ask, has he talked or written about copywriting at length?

IronROB said on Mar. 30, 2009

All this is just pure awesomeness for me^^.

GoldenEevee said on Apr. 2, 2009

Now all we have to do is ask Itoi about the Mystery screen……..