Earthbound (SNES)

March 18th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, Events

A while back, there was a big video game concert in Japan called Press Start 2006: The Symphony of Games. I first heard about it from this announcement stuff in an old Famitsu magazine, which also mentioned that there would be music from the MOTHER games.

Anyway, Captain Apollo, webmaster of the premiere Japanese MOTHER fansite MOTHER Party, attended the event and wrote a nice and detailed report about it. I thought I’d share some of that info here now, especially now that a recording of the MOTHER music has turned up.

The event was, as you can guess, a symphony orchestra playing a whole bunch of game music. The music played was:

Part 1

• MOTHER Eight Melodies
  • MOTHER 2 Eight Melodies
  • Snowman
  • MOTHER 3 Logo Type
  • MOTHER 3 Porky’s Theme
  • MOTHER 3 Love Theme

And here are some quick tidbts of info about the MOTHER stuff:

• Before the MOTHER Medley began, Sakai said, “When you think of Nintendo RPGs, you think of Pokemon, right?” But Tanaka responded with, “Huh?! No, you mean MOTHER!”
  • Unlike the three previous musical pieces, the MOTHER 3’s introduction was pretty short, so it seemed to people that they weren’t giving the MOTHER games much attention at all. But with the big guests that appeared during the performance and the numerous surprises, the feeling is they did the introduction like that on purpose to seem out of the ordinary.
  • After the performance, Tanaka said, “I’d like to introduce not the mother of MOTHER, but the father,” and Sakai said, “We have an extremely big-time guest here with us,” to which everyone in the seats responded with, “Eh?! Itoi?!”
  • Just as Sakai said, “Here’s Shigesato Itoi!” Shigesato Itoi came out wearing a MOTHER 3 logo T-shirt and appeared on stage with Sakai, who was wearing a Franklin Badge T-shirt.
  • After that, Sakai introduced the MOTHER medley and joked that “Snowman” is something that’s stuck through all three MOTHER games, like a shish-kebab. The audience laughed at that.
  • Sakai asked Tanaka if he had played MOTHER 3 yet. Tanaka replied with, “I actually went and gave the mother’s character my own name…” and that got a lot of laughs from the crowd. He thought the cutest character was the mother.
  • After that Itoi talked at length about how the music for MOTHER 3 was made. Itoi basically said, “It started with ‘Hello’.” He also said, “There was so much music that needed to be made that the job fell to Sakai.” (note: Tanaka is/was busy as president of Creatures and Keiichi Suzuki was busy with his own stuff too)
  • After that, Sakai introduces MOTHER3+, and then announced that nearly 50 songs that didn’t make it onto MOTHER3+ would be put together into an approximately 15-song iTunes album called MOTHER3i, to be released a few months later.
  • On the topic of so many songs being cut from MOTHER3+, Itoi jokingly said that all the songs are already there in the game for you to listen to if you want.
  • And then the main song of MOTHER3+, “We Miss You”, had its world premiere. The feeling in the air was that this song was definitely going to be a famous one.
  • The audience seemed to react to all the MOTHER 3 discussion enthusiastically, and it was clear that people really supported the game. Also, many people we wearing MOTHER T-shirts, and the applause when Itoi was introduced was especially great, so it seemed that a lot of MOTHER fans had been in attendnace.

Anyway, this all happened over two years ago, and only now have I come across a recording of the MOTHER medley. So here it is! If you want a download link too, here you go. Thanks to the commenters who helped get the file πŸ˜€

24 Comments to Press Start 2006: Mother Medley

DragonKazooie89 said on Mar. 18, 2009

Interesting read. This is one of those time in which Firefox’s DownloadHelper add-on comes in handy. That’s how I was able to get the MP3 of it. You guys let me know if you want it.

DoseiSan said on Mar. 18, 2009

Simply amazing. I’d love to see this in person one day if it ever comes this way.

Aurilliux said on Mar. 18, 2009

πŸ˜€ This medley is really awesome, especially when done by a talented orchestra. It makes me want to more video game music concerts, since I never really get the chance.

a said on Mar. 18, 2009

“After that Itoi talked at length about how the music for MOTHER 3 was made. Itoi basically said, β€œIt started with β€˜Hello’.” He also said, β€œThere was so much music that needed to be made that the job fell to Sakurai.” (note: Tanaka is/was busy as president of Creatures and Keiichi Suzuki was busy with his own stuff too)”

What? Sakurai made the music for MOTHER 3? Don’t you mean (Shogo) Sakai?

Mato said on Mar. 18, 2009

Heh yeah, I got Star Ocean (sakuraba) on the brain I guess. I done fixed it now, thanks.

LeonardoGolden said on Mar. 18, 2009

I wish this was released as CD…
The music sounds wonderful but it would be even better if we could have the source of the music, recorded, in lossless format…

Ah~

FennecusKitsune said on Mar. 18, 2009

This sounds like it would have been pretty amazing in person!

I was able to grab the mp3 by looking at the pages elements as they load in safari. The file I found was located here: http://www.goear.com/files/sst4/72aa139512250dbdf64b5603a2e2b3f7.mp3

Darien said on Mar. 18, 2009

Ah, excellent. I just finished grabbing and uploading it myself and I was going to offer the file for download, but now I can save myself some bandwidth. That link does indeed go to the correct file. πŸ™‚

Mato said on Mar. 18, 2009

Thanks for the help everyone, I put a local copy and a download link just now.

Darien said on Mar. 18, 2009

Go team!

shadowdeku said on Mar. 18, 2009

Where’d you find this? I’d like to hear some of the other stuff too.

Mato said on Mar. 18, 2009

Found out about it on the Starmen.Net forums, that was the only link. I dunno where to find the other songs.

Yoyoenix91 said on Mar. 19, 2009

… I want that Pollyanna cover that’s in the video on the website. The singer’s voice is so cute. x3

Is it supposed to be Ness singing or something?

Anyways, I can’t figure out how to download from Zoome, it’s even worse than Nico Nico Douga. >_>;

Dr. Meat said on Mar. 19, 2009

Is there a recording of the whole thing? I mean, not just the MOTHER parts? As much as I love Earthbound I like some of those other games too (especially Metal Gear).

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 19, 2009

Ah, if only Mother was so well received here…

kirbykrew said on Mar. 19, 2009

It’s funny, I just came across this melody a few days ago, and here it is on EB central. I’m interested in hearing the entire concert though, and as a Puzzle addict (Tetris, Puyo Puyo…), I what the specifics of the “Falling Puzzle Melody” was…..

Never knew the full details of the concert, and now I really wish I was there to see it!

The retard of epic proportions said on Mar. 19, 2009

I wish I was at home right now so I could download this. I loved how that sounded, it was simply amazing. And since I’m a rabid Porky fanatic I loved how Porky’s theme sounded on trumpet.

santiagoff said on Mar. 19, 2009

I didn’t know about this info! It’s quite interesting. And the medley… it’s so beautiful!

That One Guy said on Mar. 19, 2009

Hearing that made me realize, wouldn’t it be awesome if all 3 Mother games were remade in 3D with Mother3’s battle system, and fully orchestrated music?

LoveOmega said on Mar. 19, 2009

Wow. The Snowman part gave me chills (no pun intended)and everything else was just beautiful. I would kill to hear this live or play it in my orchestra. Especially those fun trumpet parts in Porky’s Theme. πŸ™‚

eb0ebm3 said on Mar. 19, 2009

^Maby not like 3d as in halo, but more like the 3d pokemon games for the gamecube and stuff, fully orchestrated music would be AWESOME. Shame nintendo isn’t reading this right now. haha..

Great post Mato, now I wish the concert would come to town lol

Boomerang78 said on Mar. 19, 2009

Hey, I put this up on YouTube months ago. December 6, 2008. It just goes to show you that my video isn’t popular enough, since it’s what I believe to be the only one posted on YouTube. Which sucks.

DGC said on Mar. 20, 2009

Boomerang78, plz can you post the link to your youtube video then?

Boomerang78 said on Mar. 20, 2009

There. More people need to see this, because many MOTHER fans haven’t, and when I first heard it, it made my day.

And it’s awesome.