EarthBound on Fangamer Podcast
This topic comes up every once in a while, so I thought I’d explain it real quick. Basically, when you fight Giygas at the end of EarthBound, the first song that plays is this really awesome, memorable song:
However, this song has no official title, or at least nobody knows what the official title is. Most of the music in EarthBound lacks an official title. The only reason we know some official titles is because of the MOTHER 2 soundtrack CD, which is how we know that Twoson’s music is called “Boy Meets Girl”, for instance. But this 1st-stage Giygas music doesn’t have an official title that anyone knows of.
A few years back, SNESmusic.org compiled a nice SPC set of EarthBound’s music and tried to give each song as much official info as possible. When official info wasn’t available, best educated guesses were used. And this last boss song was given the unofficial title “Pokey Means Business”.
A good while later, I decided to put EarthBound MP3s up on Starmen.Net (see here), and rather than reinvent the wheel, I made the MP3s using SNESmusic.org’s SPCs, giving them credit of course. And that seemed to further cement the unofficial track titles in fans’ minds. To the point that people assume these are all official titles.
On the Japanese side of things, the first Giygas battle song is known by fans as イナクナリナサイ (INAKUNARINASAI), which is something Giygas says and is tough to translate well, but would be something like, “CEASE TO EXIST” or “STOP EXISTING”, only a lot cooler and creepier-sounding than it sounds in English.
Anyway, I guess I basically wanted to let people know that if you have MP3s or SPCs of EarthBound, most of the titles aren’t official. Every once in a while on YouTube or e-mail someone will tell me something like, “thats not giygas song that’s pokey means business you dumbass” so now here’s something to set the record straight
Other Related Posts:
70 Comments to Pokey Means Business
- EpicJackman: I personally prefer the pixel version. Magicant is probably my favorite stage in the game (then again, they’re all awesome). I...
- Oniglut: For a second, I thought the article talked about the flying man being a part of the SSB4 roster. Which would have been hella cool but...
- Raiden: Wow. This game has a die hard fanbase. It might be small but it’s really strong. It kinda makes me want to play this game again.
- Anonymous: They probably haxed both of them at once to show the difference for people who haven’t played the game
- TheConfuZzledDude: I still find it a bit strange how the pixel version is right next to it. Maybe it was supposed to go 3d when you tagged it?