March 7th, 2009 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

This topic comes up every once in a while, so I thought I’d explain it real quick. Basically, when you fight Giygas at the end of EarthBound, the first song that plays is this really awesome, memorable song:

However, this song has no official title, or at least nobody knows what the official title is. Most of the music in EarthBound lacks an official title. The only reason we know some official titles is because of the MOTHER 2 soundtrack CD, which is how we know that Twoson’s music is called “Boy Meets Girl”, for instance. But this 1st-stage Giygas music doesn’t have an official title that anyone knows of.

A few years back, SNESmusic.org compiled a nice SPC set of EarthBound’s music and tried to give each song as much official info as possible. When official info wasn’t available, best educated guesses were used. And this last boss song was given the unofficial title “Pokey Means Business”.

A good while later, I decided to put EarthBound MP3s up on Starmen.Net (see here), and rather than reinvent the wheel, I made the MP3s using SNESmusic.org’s SPCs, giving them credit of course. And that seemed to further cement the unofficial track titles in fans’ minds. To the point that people assume these are all official titles.

On the Japanese side of things, the first Giygas battle song is known by fans as イナクナリナサイ (INAKUNARINASAI), which is something Giygas says and is tough to translate well, but would be something like, “CEASE TO EXIST” or “STOP EXISTING”, only a lot cooler and creepier-sounding than it sounds in English.

Anyway, I guess I basically wanted to let people know that if you have MP3s or SPCs of EarthBound, most of the titles aren’t official. Every once in a while on YouTube or e-mail someone will tell me something like, “thats not giygas song that’s pokey means business you dumbass” so now here’s something to set the record straight :P

70 Comments to Pokey Means Business

Abjure said on Mar. 7, 2009

I’ve always hated YouTube comments. They’re some of the most uneducated and plain mean comments in all of Internet.

Tonchiki said on Mar. 7, 2009

Good to know.
I’d say it was fair to assume they were official titles, though, as they sounded pretty good and there wasn’t anything else to go by.

And that first part is more about Pokey than Giygas anyway.

But that song is forever cool, and furthers the fact that 8-bit music is oddly epic (I’m sorry I couldn’t think of another word). The metal part caught me off-guard the first time I heard it, and made me laugh, thinking, “That’s awesome”.

Dadalama said on Mar. 7, 2009

I thought it was “Pokey’s Sound Machine” to be honest.

Devin said on Mar. 7, 2009

Someone should really do an actual metal version of this

NintenGodot said on Mar. 7, 2009

I always called it “8-bit + Speed Metal = *.*”…

However, the unofficial title is cool because it focuses on Pokey/Porky. I think this is not Giygas’s battle theme, but Pokey/Porky’s one.

Poe said on Mar. 7, 2009

I want this song to play at my wedding.

Tonchiki said on Mar. 7, 2009

“Someone should really do an actual metal version of this”

Check this out. It could sound better, but it’s kinda cool.

Alxprit said on Mar. 7, 2009

Bet THAT’ll make the news, Poe.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 7, 2009

It’s a cool song. It fits Porky well.

Pixel20 said on Mar. 7, 2009

The reason I really like this title and consider it “official” is because it’s a cool title, and it fits. I get irritated when people call it the “Giygas theme” considering you’re fighting POKEY at that part and Pokey’s such a cool villain that from Mother 2 alone he deserved a theme.

Anonymous said on Mar. 7, 2009

The 45th entry in the BoundTogether album is a metal remix of this song.

UltraGamer15 said on Mar. 7, 2009

Pixel20: Yes, but partly, you’re also fighting Giygas, although the real fight begins on his next phase.

KissofCamine said on Mar. 7, 2009

Really? I never would have guessed that was an unofficial title. Oh well, it’s cool to know! :D

HAK2 said on Mar. 7, 2009

i like “Pokey means business” (though i sometimes just call it the Giygas song), i totally love the title “CEASE TO EXIST”, sounds like something Giygas would say in his many attacks on you at that point.

Hejiru said on Mar. 7, 2009

Yeah, I definately like “Cease to Exist” a lot better. Its much creepier and fits somehow. Besides, when I hear this music, I think of Giygas, not Pokey/Porky.

Jackie said on Mar. 7, 2009

Yeah, I never really liked the made up names much. They seemed too faggy and referency, like “Buy Something Will Ya”. I mean, what?

Darien said on Mar. 7, 2009

What’s the general opinion of the song titles as given in Super Smash Bros. Brawl? I was going with the assumption that, since those are directly from Nintendo, they were probably the authouritative “correct” titles.

R7038XX said on Mar. 7, 2009

I hate when people refer to the song as “Pokey/Porkey means business,” and I’m greatful for this article to help stop such a dumb sounding and fan-made name from gaining momentum.

Now if we could only stop the horrifyingly flamboyant fan art of Giegue you find on deviant art.

James said on Mar. 7, 2009

Haha, I thought the titles were cool.

Jackie said on Mar. 7, 2009

Also woah, you have to personally read all of my comments? I, I don’t know how to feel! Is this a proposal of some kind?

santiagoff said on Mar. 7, 2009

Wow , thanks for the info!

Tsukihime said on Mar. 7, 2009

I like the title Pokey Means Business.

I think I’ve seen some doujin albums cover the song with at least a reference to that name though. Not sure if I’m remembering correctly.

Maybe it was just me. >.>

- Question mark said on Mar. 7, 2009

i like the title pokey means business.
it seems much more about pokey than giygas.

R738XX said on Mar. 8, 2009

Ironically enough, that’s one of the reasons I hate it. It seems to give Pokey too much credit for what’s going on. Like he was the mastermind behind it all rather then a goon.

CruxianAzelf said on Mar. 8, 2009

“Cease to Exist” actually sounds pretty cool.
Though, yeah, the first part is focused more on Porky (Pokey, whatever), so.. eh.

Always loved this song, though.

R7038XX said on Mar. 8, 2009

The first part is focused on Giygas before he is “all powerful” and still is in the machine, just because the attacks are focused on Pokey, doesn’t mean the music/the fight it’s self is about him.

kirbykrew said on Mar. 8, 2009

I liked “Pokey Means Buisness” as a title. Because it shows that Pokey was serious about going against you, and wasn’t just gonna run away again. (He does in the end, but that’s besides the point). Besides, this part of the battle has more of Pokey then the other ones, but the battle was never about him, nor should it be.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Mar. 9, 2009

So I guess “INAKUNARINASAI” is “go back” in the English version?

EmpoleMew said on Mar. 9, 2009

I like the title as “Pokey Means Business” but “CEASE TO EXIST” does sound pretty badass for a song title. And at the same time, very scary. And not the Giygas kind of scary.

SoreThumb said on Mar. 10, 2009

I always liked
“that song that plays at the first part that scares the crap out of you when it changes and you’re like, OH NO It’s not a cute 8 bit theme! and you crap your pants.”

It was hard to type, though.

Claus said on Mar. 12, 2009

Good boss music. By the way, how do you pronounce Giygas?

Claus said on Mar. 15, 2009

Also, I just want to tell everyone that Pokey’s real name is actually Porky. I read it somewhere in the MOTHER 3 translation page that Pokey was a mistranslation of Porky. But if you still prefer to call him Pokey then that’s your decision, which I’m not saying is bad.
(Only for people who didn’t know that)

R7038XX said on Mar. 16, 2009

Congratulations, you told us something that 99% of Mother fans already know!

We use both names interchangeably. Most of us here say Pokey, because that’s what we’ve known him as for the past 14 years.

Claus said on Mar. 17, 2009

Oh ok.

Claus said on Mar. 17, 2009

I still prefer to call him Porky though.

Orca1234 said on Mar. 22, 2009

Most of the theme songs in MOTHER 2 has titles, I’ll list them:
Opening and the part where the meteorite crachses- Prologue,Revenge,It’s not time for sleeping
Onett- Let’s start the adventure
Twoson- Boy meets girl
Saturn Valley- Hullo
Winters- Snowman,Winters White, The wind blows, Tessie!
Doko doko desert- Super dry dance (weird, isn’t it?)
Fourside- Embraced by the skyscrapers
Moonside- Moonside swing
Dalaam- The far east, the song for travellers
Summers- A private-ish wind
Dungeon man- Megaton walk, Enjoy the dungeon
Deep darkness- The jungles open ups the eyes
Lost underworld- the land’s lovesong
Magicant- Eight melodies[under the memories], Welcome me, a dream’s maze, sea of eden
Cave of past- go through time, become a robot, Phase disorder (or whatever it’s spelled), the place
After defeating giygas- Because I love you
Ending theme- Good friends, bad friends/ Smiles and tears

I forgot the Tenda and the scarabia one, and there isn’t any name for the Threek one.

halomad said on Mar. 25, 2009

go on youtube and type giygas means bussines its a metel version it kicks ass

daryl said on Mar. 25, 2009

Huh. I have that song as “Pokey, Armed and Dangerous.” I got the mp3 from Galbadia Hotel. Never realized it has no official title.

Hyper Emerson said on Mar. 27, 2009

When i got this song, from KH Insider, the name was Battle of Final Destiny.

G.Wicks said on May. 11, 2009

I’ve been thinking of doing a cover of this song, but I was planning on calling it “The Evil Power” based off the line Pokey says immediately before battle: “He is the Evil Power.”

Also, I recorded a demo and trashed it. It’s a pretty tough song to play on guitar. All drop-tuningy and fast!

Ness and Naruto fan said on Jul. 2, 2009

OMG OMG OMG THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC

Ness and Naruto fan said on Jul. 2, 2009

POKEY SUCKS THIS IS GIYGAS BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 21, 2009

…! All I have to say is… WOW! THIS IS AWESOME! THIS WOULD EXPLOTE OF LOTS OF AWESOMENESS! … kickass, thats all.

anonymous said on Aug. 19, 2009

I’ve always called it “Pokey Means Business” because I like it better than “CEASE TO EXIST”. And about Pokey vs. Porky, I don’t know what Itoi intended it to be, but in japanese it is literally “po-ki-“, which could be interpreted either way. I use them interchangably, and although the answer wouldn’t change that, I’d like to know what was originally intended.

I think this song is awesome, and I don’t even usually like this sort of music. The only other metally song I like is Natural Killer Cyborg; I just don’t like most of this kind of music.

Mato said on Aug. 19, 2009

It’s clear from Mother 3 that Itoi always intended it to be Porky. He didn’t make it as clear for Mother 2 so that’s how the wrong name showed up in EarthBound.

Anonymous said on Aug. 20, 2009

[...] Pokey Means Business

Marc said on Dec. 8, 2009

PK ROCKIN!!!!!!!!!!!

TwinsInTwoson said on Dec. 17, 2009

This is one of those video game tunes you either love or never heard of. Then someone shows you it and THEN you love it.

Ricardo said on Dec. 19, 2009

“Cease to exist” is something like out of Polybius…

Reichu said on Jan. 26, 2010

You must have the set of MP3s I ripped from the game back in 2002. Incidentally, when I first distributed them, I included an NFO file explicitly stating which titles were official, though I suppose that may have gotten lost along the way…

Reichu said on Jan. 26, 2010

Errr, that came out wrong. Let me try again…

>I have that song as “Pokey, Armed and Dangerous.” I
> got the mp3 from Galbadia Hotel. Never realized it
> has no official title.

Andy said on Feb. 28, 2010

the 8 bit part makes me think of pokey the rock part makes me think of giygas

Andy said on Mar. 5, 2010

can someone link an mp3 of this

Andy said on Mar. 5, 2010

opps never mind soryy i asked that

Mr. Saturn said on Apr. 10, 2010

Ness used PSI Pokey Means Business!
Pokey couldn’t stop rockin!
Giygas couldn’t stop rockin!

earf123 said on May. 12, 2010

This song>All final fantasy songs combined into one mega musical song.

Ness and Sonic said on May. 16, 2010

First off, Cease to Exist makes sense when you consider who/what Giygas looks like in that part of the fight and what your main goal of the game is.

@Mato
I think there was one or two things in Earthbound that pointed to the name Porky. The “Pig’s Butt” joke would make more sense if his name was Porky. I wonder how the translators missed a clue that obvious.

Ilana_ said on Jun. 29, 2010

I actually prefer “Pokey means business”… sounds more cool in a way that shows it’s Pokey who is behind all the problems, too. Not only Giyas.

I don’t know, it’s cool to see the music more focused in Pokey then in Giygas (who will stole the scene anyway, after the little Pokey+Giygas-in-Devil’s Machine battle).

Ninia said on Nov. 20, 2010

I heard the english name was actually “Inakunrinas Al”, which might be Latin, but still means “cease to exist”.

The Earthbounder said on Jun. 25, 2011

I WANT THIS IN GUTAIR HERO!

Zoom! said on Aug. 11, 2011

The gutair? Sounds like a foriegn instrument to me. Not sure why they would make Guitar Hero rip-off of it. :(

Zoom! said on Aug. 11, 2011

*make a Guitar Hero rip off of it

MatterSplatterMan said on Aug. 19, 2011

I don’t care what it’s called, it’s still epic!
And its prounnounced guy-gas (Giygas).

MatterSplatterMan said on Aug. 19, 2011

Also, I’m learning this on piano. Doesn’t do it as much justice, but its still cool.

RadicOmega said on Nov. 1, 2011

@Mato were they really that harsh? O-O

OctobotFire said on Nov. 1, 2011

@poe can I come? It be an epic wedding!

Nyx said on Jan. 15, 2012

Cease to exist isn’t too bad a name………… in fact, you could say that it is epic.

ominom said on May. 8, 2012

is this a real gutar or is it just some machine creating the note just like techno music?

mR. SaTuRn said on Jun. 13, 2013

I Love EarthBound, it was a great game filled with great soundtrack. Pokey Means Business/Cease To Exist is probably the best soundtrack in the game, but I also loved the creepy background music (I’m not even sure if it is music at all) when you actually fight Giygas with the swirling red faces, such an epic finale.