March 13th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

While we’re on the subject of 3D stuff, I was planning to show some other 3D EarthBound videos that have gone around a few times, like a 3D Onett and a 3D Fourside, but since there’s a new 3D Onett video this week that everyone’s talking about, I figure I’ll start with that one first.

This 3D version of Onett is by BennFriedrich. The song is from the Child’s Play 2008 CD for charity, so if you’re interested in getting a copy, here you go.

In particular, I like how the sign letters on buildings were actually designed in 3D, rather than simple textures. This video also reminds me how much green there is in Onett.

POLL: Would a 3D version of EarthBound be good?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

19 Comments to Onett in 3D

Darien said on Mar. 13, 2009

I dug that pretty hard. If only it had a bunch of little 3D sharks running around it’d be perfect. 😉

BennFried said on Mar. 13, 2009

Thanks a lot for featuring this and including the Digg button. =p

Also big thanks to anyone who Diggs this, have a small bet over a few cups of coffee with a professor on how many views the video will get, and it getting to the Digg frontpage would help me out a lot.

Being on here is also gonna help the view count a lot too, so thanks yet again. =] Glad people seem to like it.
Now onto my next 3D project.. which I’m not 100% sure will be. If anyone has any cool suggestions let me know.

Spyden said on Mar. 13, 2009

Very Nicely done!

I don’t want to give any suggestions since I can only imagine how hard this was to complete. D:

pooppoop said on Mar. 13, 2009

looks a lot like virtual springfield

Lothis said on Mar. 13, 2009

This video makes me think that EarthBound really would make a good 3D game and that maybe with a little more advancement in the fanbase’s technology, a 3D fan game is around the corner. The only skepticism I would have about a 3D version of EarthBound is the character design though, but SSB managed to pull off very faithful 3D renditions of several EarthBound characters, so I think it’s possible. Character design is usually where a 3D game fails the hardest if it fails.

Hejiru said on Mar. 13, 2009

This makes me want a 3D version so hard. Or maybe Mother1.

Mato said on Mar. 13, 2009

Looks like this made it onto the digg front page. Congrats!

Millhouse said on Mar. 13, 2009

This video is awesome. I think the polls clearly state that EarthBound 3D would be awesome, and so, I announce to you:

EARTHBOUND 3D!
The project’s a bit… silent at the moment, but check it out, hype it up, and help!!

Kurisuellegarden said on Mar. 13, 2009

I sent you this too! 😀 That’s pretty awesome that you posted something I sent! Because I never have sent things before. 😛

Xi said on Mar. 13, 2009

Would like to see how the meteorite hill and Giant Step are rendered. =D

BennFried said on Mar. 13, 2009

I might go back and add those in sometime, but gotta start on some more projects for my demo reel.
I should probably have a character in my demo reel somewhere, so I’m working on a Ness right now. Not going to be quite the same style as how I did Onett though.

Saturnome said on Mar. 13, 2009

Wow, perfect rendition of the game in 3D. It felt like EarthBound. Someone could do a mini EarthBound game featuring Onett. Only thing though, I wouldn’t walk on the road leading to the library..!

SamWibatt said on Mar. 13, 2009

That’s a terrific vid! Bravo, BennFriedrich.

Grant said on Mar. 13, 2009

hm.. how about Mother 3 in 3D? Seems like it was made for it, hehe.

Stuffgamer1 said on Apr. 29, 2009

Virtual Springfield ain’t lyin’! The first thing that popped into my head watching this video was “this looks EXACTLY like The Simpsons Game graphics!” That would be the PERFECT art style for 3D Earthbound! Well, don’t make the characters yellow just to fit the style, of course. 😛

Shad said on May. 28, 2009

If they did make a 3d mother game I think it should be cell shaded, seeing as it would fit the art style better

blahblah said on May. 8, 2010

mother 3 in 3D looks pretty dumb but earthbound in 3D is pretty good

motherman said on Jul. 3, 2010

its like earthbound for wii

Nicho said on Sep. 9, 2013

Someone needs to port this to the Source Engine, put some road blocks up around the town (Onett’s specialty), and add some rooms. It would become the best Ultimate Chimera Hunt map ever. No doubt.

Find Merchandise!