Game Boy Micro System Mother 3 Deluxe Box Nintendo Japan NEW

March 28th, 2009 | Images, Itoi, Rumors

A few folks have pointed out that the character in the latest mystery screenshot is probably based on another Level 5 production called “The Another World“.

Again, here’s the recent screenshot we’ve all been pondering about:

And here are some images of the “The Another World” character taken from here:

The pics you see above are meant for the DS version of the game, but the announcement (from last September) also has a vague “a version for another platform is to be released as well”, which could very well be referring to this ROID system that Level 5 is opening up this June.

Incidentally, the game’s animation is being done by Studio Ghibli and the music by Joe Hisaishi. You can see the TGS trailer for the DS game here. And, although it’s a tenuous connection, Shigesato Itoi and Studio Ghibli are on extremely close terms.

In any case, it’s definitely looking like this EarthBound-ish screenshot has something to do with this The Another World thing. We’ll have to wait for more details first to figure out the full story of what’s going on, like why they’d specifically choose EarthBound-style graphics and why they’d release a teaser image meant to give the wrong impression.

Anyway, I’ll try to keep on top of the story. If anyone comes across any info, let me know! The best way to get my attention is through here; otherwise, sometimes blog comments get stuck in spam or moderation and I won’t see them for a while.

82 Comments to New EarthBound “Another World”?

StarFoxA said on Mar. 28, 2009

Well, releasing this image DID give them a lot of publicity, even if it isn’t EarthBound related. This picture has appeared on other site, like Joystiq and Kotaku.

Poe said on Mar. 28, 2009

Those character images do look an awful lot like that sprite…

Old West said on Mar. 28, 2009

If this _is_ at all even slightly EarthBound-related, it sure doesn’t seem like Itoi would divulge the latest game this way.

santiagoff said on Mar. 28, 2009

Well , they DO look similar. But still , why is it so similar to EarthBound? There must be something , right?

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 28, 2009

Well, at least no one got their hopes up, right?

Right?

Yorkshire Tea said on Mar. 28, 2009

Holy moly, now that I look at it clearly it sure does look a lot like Earthbound. Probably an affectionate homage or send-up of EB, I’m guessing.

ZombiePaul said on Mar. 28, 2009

Now it`s time for all of us old-timers to say `oh well, it would have been nice` and all the new comers to start throwing conspiracy theories around. Oh the memories 🙂

roido said on Mar. 28, 2009

i was right you see it?

kukurauso said on Mar. 28, 2009

wow!,roido wasn’t liying is true that isn’t Earthbound!!!
yipeee!!!! now
we are doomed 🙁

darkhamsterlord said on Mar. 28, 2009

Looks like it’s time for a sundae.

DanteAMD said on Mar. 28, 2009

There is just art over there? That things weren’t screenshots? Also, Another World is for SNES.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Mar. 28, 2009

DanteAMD: Pretty sure that’s a different game.

Millhouse said on Mar. 28, 2009

from a far land I cometh, and I’m bringing…
SUNDAES for everyone!
*sighs*
*starts eating sundae with a sheepish and vacant look*

Deiphobus said on Mar. 28, 2009

sundaes! all you lurkers beat me to saying that.

diablow2000 said on Mar. 28, 2009

After reading http://www.level5.co.jp/products/ninokuni/index.html with automated translation, one line kinda links to “Mother” series: “To overcome the death of a beloved mother, with a different world and a subtle thing in common real-world “countries Nino” fantasy film growth and the journey, the theme of the story is “cordial relationship between people”.”

PSI Supernova said on Mar. 28, 2009

Well, I guess that solves it.

Smash Bass said on Mar. 28, 2009

Uh… I’m the only one who wasn’t disillusioned with these news then?

Wait, if this isn’t a Mother game then there is chance I will never play it. 😐 Darn.

Rau said on Mar. 28, 2009

DONT EAT YOUR SUNDAES TOO SOON … nothing has been oficialy confirmed …

Maybe that guy is actually just a NPC that resembles a lot to that kid… right?

….. right?

… Gah, Im going for my sundae …

R7038XX said on Mar. 28, 2009

This is rather upsetting, although I kinda’ figured that it wasn’t a new Mother game, I’m not sure of how I feel about this. Especially considering that I don’t own a DS, nor do I intend to get one.

Vanessah said on Mar. 28, 2009

@DanteAMD:
Are you thinking of this one?

HossTehMaster said on Mar. 28, 2009

Even if it isn’t Mother it still looks cool. I would like to see more of it.

HossTehMaster said on Mar. 28, 2009

I justed watch the trailer and this game is an RPG oddly enough, then again its probably just another similarity.

UltraGamer15 said on Mar. 28, 2009

So it’s not EB-related?

Well, I’m gonna play it anyway.

WhatsHerFace said on Mar. 28, 2009

Even if it’s not a Mother game, I’ve been pretty interested in it for a while…Just the fact that Ghibli is involved with it at all kinda draws me in…

P.F. said on Mar. 28, 2009

I remember seeing those trailers when I was watching for news from TGS, and the resemblance is uncanny.

Considering Another World seems to have this universe/dimension jumping bend to it, the game on ROID probably is a side story involving getting trapped in a Mother-like, tribute intended world. Or maybe even a bunch of different kinds of worlds with different graphical styles and this is just one of them.

I hope it’s bigger than that, at least, though any tribute would be cool.

Hejiru said on Mar. 28, 2009

So…… it’s not Mother-related…?

the retard of epic proportions said on Mar. 28, 2009

It’s not mother related, but the graphics obviously had inspiration from mother. I plan on buying this game when it releases for the DS, and if it does come to America, I’ll be sure to that one too.

P.F. said on Mar. 28, 2009

@Diablow: That is really freaking interesting. Sorry for the double post but I’d like to guess that they could be using a “Mother” style system because the ROID spin-off is actually going to handle some heavy-handed stuff concerning the main character’s loss. Which is all very relevant to Mother.

Sconner said on Mar. 28, 2009

I still think there’s more to it. Maybe Ness or Lucas or somebody might make a cameo appearance…
There’s no way it’s Mother 4
90% chance it’s not a Mother game at all
But probably like a 75% of it relating to Earthbound somehow…

FuzzyPicklez said on Mar. 28, 2009

No. There’s no way that anything that looks THAT MUCH like EarthBound can NOT be related to EarthBound in some way. No matter what it is, though, if it takes place in the world of Mother, then I am DEFINITELY playing it.

Matt said on Mar. 28, 2009

Those are Mother graphics. Period.

Speaking of which, does anybody (Mato?) know who is responsible for this graphic style? Like, who designed the majority of Earthbound/Mother 2 to give the game it’s signature look? Whoever THAT guy is, he must be involved here.

I don’t care if this is technically a “Mother” game or not…any RPG with graphics like this is a must play.

Mato said on Mar. 28, 2009

The credits for both M2 and EB are here for reference. But it’s not clear who was responsible for the map graphics.

In any case, with this much EarthBoundness to this game, I wonder if the gameplay has any EarthBoundness to it too.

Matt said on Mar. 28, 2009

ALSO…I’m checking out the screenshots for The Another World and the main character appears to be a 3D model against detailed 2D backgrounds. The in-game art style and anime cut scenes appear to be their own game, while this mystery screenshot appears to be from a completely separate game, despite the eerie similarities between the characters.
We really know so little about this game…it’s much too early to get excited OR disappointed. These are clearly graphics from a Mother game…and what that means, time will tell.

Flint said on Mar. 28, 2009

Well, they got me I am gonna buy another world, but I would had preferred the earthbound style version over the Gibli version on my DS.

DanteAMD said on Mar. 28, 2009

Vannesah: Yes, wow, I was pretty sure it was for SNES. And yeah, now I believe is a different game.

DAMN GRAPHICS!

Logic! said on Mar. 28, 2009

The reason for the graphic similarities might have gone down like this…
-Programmer grabs some images from his favorite rpg for placeholder art.
-Newbie artist given the task of replacing the placeholder art just pretties them up instead of completely redoing them.
-No one has the heart to tell to redo the tons of art he did and theres other stuff to be done anyways so they put off redoing it.
-The game nears release date. It never gets redone.

EBM said on Mar. 29, 2009

Lol, sundaes for all.
I AM IN DESPAIR! THE FACT THAT THIS MAY VERY WELL NOT BE A NEW MOTHER GAME HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!
…Not really.
In other news, Dragon Quest IX is lookin’ pretty hot, huh?
Someone should make a comic about “The (X) stages of what seems like a new MOTHER release”
That would be funny. I’d do it, but… I can barely draw for BEANS.

linkdude20002001 said on Mar. 29, 2009

I don’t think thit has nothing to do with Mother, sadly. I think the creator’s just a fellow fan. But not a very good one. He should be making Mother 4. D: ZETSUBOU SHITA!

FuzzyPicklez said on Mar. 29, 2009

If it takes place in the Mother world, then it IS Mother 4, technically.
There is about a 75% chance it’s this Another World thing.
But I don’t care, I’m playing it anyway.
Besides, Another World in general seems like a great game.

Pip said on Mar. 29, 2009

This isn’t Mother or earthbound.. Itoi is only making a new game with Earthbound’s graphics that’s all…
He already said that Mother series end in M3

ALL IS FOR MONEY, idiots

[…] pero aparecían claramente en la imagen el nombre de ROID y Level-5. Esto fue lo que al final reveló de que se trataba el proyecto. ROID es un servicio que entrará en funciones próximamente en el país del Sol Naciente, más […]

HossTehMaster said on Mar. 29, 2009

uuuuhhhh Pip, you do realize that it’s not confirmed that Itoi is even working on this game at all or were you making a joke that went over my head?

Raw said on Mar. 29, 2009

The fact that the pic is obviously a mock-up leads me to believe it has nothing to with Another World at all. I’m shocked people still think there’s a connection.

That being said, Another World looks like it’ll be fantastic. Can’t anyone just be happy with that?

wishydude said on Mar. 29, 2009

you never know, the previous game has had several character that look similar to other thing like runaway five and blues brothers just this has something based on another game and on the main character, but then again you never know (itoi could have bought the rights to this individual game, but then we’d probably hear about it)

Jim said on Mar. 29, 2009

You know, I had studied Studio Ghibli in a film class last semester, and I all could think about was how beautiful a Mother 3 film adaption done by them would be.

SmaMan said on Mar. 30, 2009

Maybe it’s a cool Mother VS. Another World crossover thingy… I dunno, the graphics are just too similar to dismiss this just yet.

PKNuMan said on Mar. 30, 2009

Could it be a cell phone version of the game?

IronROB said on Mar. 30, 2009

I love Studio Ghibli for thier wonderful anime films made by Hayao Miyazaki and I like some of Levels 5’s games so this “The Another World” game is good news for me, hope it turns out great.

I bet that the MOTHER like-style graphics(whatever its real or not)for the game is maybe a little joke or something because of Itois connection to Studio Ghibli,who knows? Either way the game itself has clearly nothing to do with the MOTHER series.

Mattesp said on Mar. 30, 2009

Wow. I’m surprised a game is being made with sprites like that. With that much similarity, I could see some legal issues- unless Itoi really is giving them some pretty nice treatment…
“Hey Itoi! Remember us?!”
“Yeah!”
“We’re making a game! Can we use your sprites?”
“YEAH!”

? said on Mar. 30, 2009

Hotel-Mario from youtube poop: NO!

Usul said on Mar. 31, 2009

I’m glad this was was solved, however… It seems that my comments made someone angry, and my IP adress was banned or something, since i can’t access this site, Mato’s or Starmen. Right now i’m using a proxy. You see whenever i try to access i get the conection failed page, and since it’s only on these particular sites i’m suspicious. What’s up guys? It’s because i’m not registered?, It’s because of the two names? That was an accident. Or is it another thing althogether?

Mato said on Mar. 31, 2009

I don’t have anyone banned. Both sites have the same host, so it’s a connection problem on your end.

Zangetsu said on Apr. 1, 2009

This makes more sense. But the graphics look so alike! I mean they look incredibly close!

GoldenEevee said on Apr. 1, 2009

Well, if this image IS from anew EB game, then wouldn’t the hero be wearing a striped polo like Ness/Ninten/Lucas/Claus before him, or maybe it would be like Mother 3, and changes the main characters during certain points, like Flint and Duster, or maybe it could be a remake of Mother 1 or 2 and they gave Ninten/Ness a new look, after all, the map graphics appear to be in Mother 1/2’s isometric style…..

Like if the Trix Rabbit will ever get the trix, the maning of life being 42, or how many licks it REALLY takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, we may never know if this is a Mother game or not……….

To know for sure, we would have to ask none other than Shigesato Itoi himself……….

FuzzyPicklez said on Apr. 1, 2009

The Trix Rabbit will never get the Trix, even though he gets to be on the box. That’s because he’s nothing more than a character designed to get you to buy Trix. If the Rabbit got Trix, then that would be a BORING commercial.

That’s… a lot of ellipses.

Cubear said on Apr. 2, 2009

@FuzzyPicklez

The trix rabbit has in fact managed to eat some Trix cereal.

Superfluous Moniker said on Apr. 2, 2009

Oh man, please please please let this come to America…

Hi there said on Apr. 9, 2009

Sorry to put most peoples hopes down, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t a mother-related game really, the sprites are just similar i guess…

Shino said on Apr. 12, 2009

Despite the thundering evidence of this being The Another World, the trees are EXACTLY like the trees in Earthbound. They must be ripping off Earthbound’s graphics at least.

Sconner said on Apr. 12, 2009

We wait…
I hope we have another youtube contest this year!

Richard36 said on Apr. 15, 2009
Mato said on Apr. 15, 2009

That’s because that’s the DS version.

Richard36 said on Apr. 16, 2009

Hey, Mato, i cant find info about that version of The Another World. Cell Phone, maybe?

Mato said on Apr. 16, 2009

As already mentioned, the version that looks like EB is for the ROID game service, which will work on both computers and phones. No new info about this alternate version has been published anywhere, which is why you can’t find any info.

Richard36 said on Apr. 17, 2009

Thanks, Mato
Anyways, i found a Earthbound sequel trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vvXAHLuEOE) and a Mother 3 sequel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyBrZv4AxL4&feature=related) They are great!!!

Vinny said on Apr. 18, 2009

First, Mato, great site and great job on the Mother 3 translation. I know it’s been a long time, but I never got to say thanks for it. I don’t play many games anymore, but probably one a year I’ll play through Earthbound because it’s just that good! Keep up the good work.
Anyways, just because a game shares similar graphics doesn’t mean it’s Earthbound related. As I recall, there was a DS game, I’m pretty sure made by Suda 51, that had graphics also exactly like Earthbound. Can’t remember what it was called, something about a robot, I think.

Richard36 said on Apr. 18, 2009

Suda 51 game with earthbound looking sprites? Yay!

Kyler said on Apr. 19, 2009

The trees are the exact same as earthbound trees. The face of the character bears a resemblance to many mother sprites. The similarities are just too uncanny to disregard this.

Jack said on May. 9, 2009

Here, I did this comparison of the two sprites.

The main character of The Another World does not resemble the character Ness. No, actually, the amount of pixels used for the characters is EXACTLY THE SAME. The amount of pixels for the mouth and eyes, and formation of the face.. everything is the same. I have a feeling we need to check this game out before we pass it off.

Josh said on May. 21, 2009

If it LOOKS like a Mother, and it smells like a Mother, and it acts like a Mother….then it’s The Another World.

Sorry mates, but until we get more official screenshots and proof that either a) this spin-off is using Mother’s graphical style, or b) this is just some weird mock up (or the ever hopeful c) new Mother title) then I’m not biting on this The Another World thing. It’s just too damn similar.

mattmanking90 said on Jun. 3, 2009

I hate this! It bothers me!

The screen shots bushes, flowers, grass, mailbox, and sprite looks just like EB. How dare they!

adam said on Jun. 11, 2009

yo yo ma mother is a mother in another world LOL BUT MORE Seriously Itoi was the voice of dad in totaro so maybe he is helping?

Anonymous said on Jun. 13, 2009

Well I for one and excited about a -spirtual successor- to Earthbound.

Artillery said on Jun. 17, 2009

Yaaay, TV Tropes. I think you’re right, anon. It’s cool any way you put it.

Anyways, I can’t read Japanese, but the screenshots on the other page look like…

Studio Ghibli?!

8D This game will be like the lovechild of Itoi and Miyazaki?! God, if there is a God, let this game come to America… in English.

PKSTARMAN said on Jul. 14, 2009

Neat, maybe if NOA dont think this is an Earthbound game then ill buy this.

Luna said on Aug. 3, 2009

I would not be surprised to see Itoi’s name in the credits, but i’m an anime fan and i’m happy that Miyazaki is working on a new project!…..Now I wonder what Peach-Pit and CLAMP is doing…. >.>

? said on Mar. 6, 2010

It looks like professor Layton!

Sammy said on Aug. 13, 2010

U Know what?Yea i think its Mother 4

Some Random Guy From Onett said on Jan. 21, 2011

If a character resembles one from EB then the fans will be happy,if there was a Cameraman says “Fuzzy Pickles” In the game then i think Some EB Fans will actually explode.

PsiReaper said on Apr. 11, 2012

I wouldn’t say that this is an official sequel to the Mother series…but if the game goes on as it is…I think we can call it a “spiritual” sequel somewhat…if you think about it. 😛

PK Derp said on May. 24, 2013

I know it’s late but that’s Ni no Kuni. Although, I don’t recognise the first Earthbound-y picture.

Pacalakin said on Jun. 15, 2013

Same. I never knew about that picture before it came out. It is quite Earthbound-y though.