Shigesato Itoi Fishes for Comedy
The Notebook, The Proof, the Third Lie
By Agota Kristof
Find on Amazon (~$11)
Find on eBay
It’s not too widely known, but MOTHER 3 was inspired in part by a book called “Le Grand Cahier” by Agota Kristof, which was released in English as “The Notebook”. It’s the first book in a three-part series. Itoi first mentioned this fact way back when working on the Nintendo 64 version of MOTHER 3, as you can see here. It’s where Lucas and Claus get their names, but it’s also the source of a lot of other little things here and there.
I haven’t read the books myself, but EarthBound fan Meta Warp has, and was kind enough to do a really big write-up of them 😀 Check it out if you want to see how the books connect with MOTHER 3, and to see how crazy they can get sometimes!
All three books were recently made into one collection, and you can get it really cheap at Amazon here for like $11. I’m going to get a copy for myself sometime so I can get a better look at how MOTHER 3 came to be, but it’d be cool if a bunch of people read them too so we could have a book discussion. In fact, Itoi’s mentioned a whole bunch of other books that helped inspire things in MOTHER and MOTHER 2, so we should start a book club or something like Oprah 😛 The EarthBound Book Club – doesn’t get much nerdier than that!
Anyway, I’ll talk about these other books at a later time, don’t fret. Whose books are these? My books. Your books. Books books books.
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to MOTHER 3 and The Notebook
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.
- NecrosaroIII: Itoi setting up his retirement
- Kamrom: My Recipe For Earthbound Rock Candy: 1. Get rock candy 2. Pour sugar on it 3. Watch as the sugar falls off 4. Eat the rock candy, clean up...
- Nessential: The stock is still pending listing, but you can find it on Bloomberg here: https://www.bloomberg.com/quot e/3560:JP I might buy some of...