MOTHER Remake Hack Preview
The Notebook, The Proof, the Third Lie
By Agota Kristof
Find on Amazon (~$11)
Find on eBay
It’s not too widely known, but MOTHER 3 was inspired in part by a book called “Le Grand Cahier” by Agota Kristof, which was released in English as “The Notebook”. It’s the first book in a three-part series. Itoi first mentioned this fact way back when working on the Nintendo 64 version of MOTHER 3, as you can see here. It’s where Lucas and Claus get their names, but it’s also the source of a lot of other little things here and there.
I haven’t read the books myself, but EarthBound fan Meta Warp has, and was kind enough to do a really big write-up of them 😀 Check it out if you want to see how the books connect with MOTHER 3, and to see how crazy they can get sometimes!
All three books were recently made into one collection, and you can get it really cheap at Amazon here for like $11. I’m going to get a copy for myself sometime so I can get a better look at how MOTHER 3 came to be, but it’d be cool if a bunch of people read them too so we could have a book discussion. In fact, Itoi’s mentioned a whole bunch of other books that helped inspire things in MOTHER and MOTHER 2, so we should start a book club or something like Oprah 😛 The EarthBound Book Club – doesn’t get much nerdier than that!
Anyway, I’ll talk about these other books at a later time, don’t fret. Whose books are these? My books. Your books. Books books books.
Other Related Posts:
28 Comments to MOTHER 3 and The Notebook
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...