Eating at EarthBound Shops #1
I’m insanely busy as usual, but I’ve been putting in 5 minutes here, 3 minutes there on the script for the MOTHER 1 part of the 1+2 GBA compilation. It’s hard to say exactly how far along I am, but I’d wager somewhere around 20% of the first script draft done. Right now I’m starting on a lot of Magicant-related text.
As much as it pains me to admit it, the last time I really played EarthBound Zero was around February or March of 1999. My memories of the later stuff in the game are kind of fuzzy, so I’m definitely going to have to do a second draft of the script to get things in context. Plus I think I can make the script flow nicer than what I have now once I see everything in action.
I don’t have a set release date in mind. But this July does mark the game’s 20th anniversary in Japan, so I’m wondering if Nintendo might do something with the game in Japan this summer. If so, there’s a super-slight chance Nintendo could do something with it outside of Japan too. That’s just me fantasizing though. If an official release does happen, I’ll immediately stop my work on this project; I don’t want to hurt official sales or anything like that. I doubt it’ll happen, but I’m mentioning it just in case.
There’s nothing much more to report for now. The general process for this project will look something like this:
- Do some initial hacking (already done)
- Do translation draft 1 (currently doing, ~20%)
- Play game with draft 1 in, work on draft 2
- Finish any remaining hacking
- Do any extra stuff if we decide to (example)
- Test then release
I’ve been taking the project slow because I’ve been focusing on starting EarthBound Central these past two months. The process won’t take nearly as long as MOTHER 3 did, though.
Also, just to let newcomers know, you can find all the MOTHER 1+2 translation updates on this handy page. It even has a small FAQ page and a to-do list, much like what the MOTHER 3 blog had back in the day.
Other Related Posts:
65 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 3
Leave a reply
- johnr754: @Tente; Maybe it’s because the Japanese prefer minor change over major change. For example, Super Mario 64 did not do as well as...
- KingOfSwords: I feel just the same way, Vukadin.
- PK Derp: I know it’s late but that’s Ni no Kuni. Although, I don’t recognise the first Earthbound-y picture.
- Mato: I updated this post with some more info. Right now I think it’ll be better to hold off for a bit but I plan to release a new patch...
- Kaabii: Any idea when it might be out, Mato?