March 12th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve just updated my MOTHER 2 vs. EarthBound site again (M2EB for short). This latest update deals with Fourside stuff after you clear out the gold mine.

Lots of neat trivia and info, give it a look!

17 Comments to M2EB Update: Fourside 2

Mato said on Mar. 12, 2009

BTW, can someone get the full text the announcer says before the final Runaway Five performance? I don’t seem to have a copy of it.

Tansunn said on Mar. 12, 2009

Welcome to the final Runaway Five performance at the Topolla Theater!

It’s going to be a great show! We’re so good it makes me… think that those
kids by the exit will wet their pants! Those kids are hip, baby!

– taken from a text dump over at http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/game/588301.html

Mato said on Mar. 12, 2009

Cool, thanks. Does “Thank you” really lack punctuation there?

Tansunn said on Mar. 12, 2009

To be honest, I actually don’t remember if that was used in the R5 intro or not… it showed up there in the text dump, though.

JB2448 said on Mar. 12, 2009

“Speak Japanese! I can’t understand you!” I love those hidden lines in the images you post. Also, I’m %100 sure that the “Thank you” was NONEXISTENT. There was NO thank you. I will say this with complete certainty.
My source is Chuggaconroy’s EarthBound Let’s Play.
Skip to about five minutes in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlykDI_Wkc

JB2448 said on Mar. 12, 2009

100%*

JB2448 said on Mar. 12, 2009

Sorry. I posted my correction comment before my original comment was posted. It said that the “Thank you” in the text dump was not used in the final line. So there is no “Thank you.”

Xi said on Mar. 12, 2009

Will somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!

HAK2 said on Mar. 12, 2009

i just played that part today XP

i always wanted to point out this VERY small difference i noticed in the title sequences, in which, if you press A after the nintendo logo in M2, it goes to the file select screen. if you do the same thing in EB, it goes to the title screen.

i just thought it was something to point out. M2 does what EB does in the GBA version, though.

Rufus said on Mar. 12, 2009

I always enjoy reading these little differences.

CruxianAzelf said on Mar. 12, 2009

It’s fun to read the translation differences — wonder how different Moonside’s gonna be, along with plenty of other trippy little parts, haha.

Greenzsx87 said on Mar. 12, 2009

Definitely intriguing information with the differences. Makes me want to know the original dialogue in other games as apposed to the English translations we are used to…

Harveyjames said on Mar. 13, 2009

If I was a billionaire and could pay people money to do as many spurious projects as I liked, I would almost certainly commission you to make a hack of earthbound that corrected all the faults you found in the localized version.

Reconstructed Dragon said on Apr. 12, 2009

Sorry that I’m commenting it now and not before, but I have something to say, Mato.
In the article about Fourside in “M2, EB and back again”, you wondered if Monotoli’s name, “Geldegard” could have a secret meaning.
Well, in my mother language, german, at least a part of the name means something that fits very well to him.
“Geld” means money in german. So, Geldegard is a nice name for a rich person.

Gurp said on Aug. 28, 2009

I always laughed at this scenario, seeing as how a Earthmover(forgot the actual name) manages to catch up to a bus going along at a pretty good rate with a good headstart.

Luke said on Oct. 1, 2010

Hey Mato, I was wondering, when are you going to do the Pokemon Black and White refrences to MOTHER 3?

Kris said on Oct. 1, 2010