March 20th, 2009 | EarthBound, Fan Games, Hacking, Videos

A good while back, a fellow by the name of Michael Iantorno created a hack of EarthBound for his thesis project. The concept of the hack is really interesting, and some of the effects that can occur depending on your actions really show how some types of storytelling work best in game format. The game was also on display at the Nuit Blanche festival in Toronto.

He even made a short video introducing the project here:

You can download the game here. You’ll also need a Super NES emulator like bsnes or ZSNES to play it.

Be sure to check out the latest hack Michael’s working on here. It’s looking really, really good 😯

29 Comments to HyperBound: An EarthBound Hack

Poe said on Mar. 20, 2009

Seems pretty cool! I think I’ll play it.

Millhouse said on Mar. 20, 2009

Ah, Hyperbound. I should still have it laying around here somewhere. I downloaded it aj eternity ago, but I never got around to playing it. I heard it’s really hard…

santiagoff said on Mar. 20, 2009

I had heard about this , but not this much. It sounds so interesting! I’M DOWNLOADING IT RIGHT NOW!

Spyden said on Mar. 20, 2009

Sounds interesting…I’ll check it out when I have time.

AbstractedThought said on Mar. 20, 2009

It’s not really hard, but it’s easy to miss important events. The ending is worth it though.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 20, 2009

Ooh, looks fun. I’ll check it out.

santiagoff said on Mar. 20, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just lost my save in this game… F***!

ZombiePaul said on Mar. 20, 2009

I really enjoyed HyperBound when I played it a year or so ago. If I remember correctly, there was no combat and it was very story-driven. If you haven’t played it, give it a shot. 🙂

Dr Shlub said on Mar. 21, 2009

Dammit! I got really far and then went into the sewers in Port Union and got stuck there… Fun game though

Belasted said on Mar. 21, 2009

I thought the dialogue was okay, but got bored. After getting to Fourside (or whatever it’s called in this game) I just found my way to the ending using the amazing walk-through-walls code for EarthBound. I wasn’t cheating! I was just exploring the game without playing it properly. I found the end on accident.

Neon Squid said on Mar. 22, 2009

I really like it so far. I’m stuck at the desert part though.

Neon Squid said on Mar. 22, 2009

I just finished it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though the ending was kind of lame =\

SoreThumb said on Mar. 23, 2009

I forget when I played it, but it was awhile ago. I thought it was pretty good. how the game’s ending/final part worked was pretty cool– I also liked the whole risk if you tried to beat it early and failed 8)

Smash Bass said on Mar. 23, 2009

Oh, it’s Hyperbound. 😮 I haven’t had the time to play it, but who knows, maybe I will in the vacations. 😀

HossTehMaster said on Mar. 29, 2009

This stuff looks simply amazing, I hope he gets done with his latest hack soon.

MegazeroX said on May. 11, 2009

help i downloaded it and used bsnes and it says x1o1 or something wasnt found

Koyuki said on Jul. 1, 2009

To MegazeroX: your emulator may not be able to read romhacks. I heard the bsnes isn’t that great.

If you need a new one, just search for the Zsnes on google. you should find an easy download.

just downloaded an emulator, and I’m already getting the rom now!

103sandra said on Nov. 26, 2009

i have emulator but my uncle dosnt let me downloud

Link244859 said on Dec. 9, 2009

Downloaded this, got pretty far, but whenever I picked a gate I got the bad one…Ah well. Nice ROMhack.

Invincibob said on Feb. 28, 2010

I ended up beating it incredibly quickly. Completely out of pure luck I chose the right path in his mind.

skyrunner14 said on Mar. 9, 2010

Anyone know how to find the treasure in the swamp? I’m using the metal detector near the trees near the cave, but it tells me to go up more, even though I can’t.

yetikirby said on Jul. 7, 2010

I can’t wait to play this! I hope he gates done with his new one soon.

PSI rockin' said on Feb. 4, 2011

I would say who the main charater’s TRUE identity is, but, I don’t know for sure, and spoiler sake

Big Dream said on Feb. 7, 2011

Who is this main character???????

I took the wrong one! said on May. 28, 2011

I took the wrong path in my mind and the end was black and white but fun hack…

Chris Highwind said on May. 2, 2012

Wow, that’s a very interesting hack. I love the concept of how a glitched map, while usually frowned upon and seen as poor coding in the game, is deliberately used to simulate your character’s mind decaying with every failure to navigate it correctly.

Paula Polestar said on May. 23, 2012

This is better than any of the ideas I came up with for EarthBound X… (It’s a thing I’m making it up cuz’ I wanted to.)

Final Starman said on Jun. 11, 2012

Okay, I’m very interested in seeing where this goes, but someone PLEASE tell me I didn’t just screw myself over in the arcade…

Apple Kid said on Nov. 23, 2012

Can anyone direct me to an snes emulator for the kindle fire that is good and free?