Mr. Saturn for Breakfast!
We’ve already looked at the ugh-ness of the EGM review of Earthbound and the “this can’t be for real”-ness of the GamePro review of EarthBound, so here’s another magazine review of EarthBound from back in 1995!
This one is from Game Players magazine. Thanks go out to Ema Nymton on the SA forums for the images, and Mark S. for the tip 😀
The review is just one page in the magazine, but since I think these were taken with a digital camera, there are multiple pics of different parts of the page:
This review’s actually written quite a bit better than the other reviews, but it seems like he was especially focused on the graphics and that it seemed too kiddie. Man, I remember when those days were like that – most everyone, not just this guy, almost seem too obsessed with both things. Still, 69% is surprising. I wonder if reviewers back then (and now?) actually had very little time to play the games and had to rush like crazy. And that it’d be easy to get sick of playing them right away.
EDIT: Also, as commenters have pointed out, this review does sometimes read like it was written without much thought, as an example:
“The graphics are simple, the storyline is easy to follow, and even though the game is huge, it moves along pretty quickly.”
But just a few inches down, he says this:
“How many times can you play a game this big and slow?”
Anyway, there you go! I might dig up some various newspaper reviews of EarthBound at some point, but if anyone knows of any other magazine reviews of EarthBound, please let me know! I love these old reviews, and I need more more more! Also, I think I’ll make a section on the site that lists all these reviews of the games, since it’s really interesting stuff 😀
Other Related Posts:
46 Comments to Game Players’ EarthBound Review
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...
- Kasumi: Or maybe it’s wordplay. EARTHBOUND FAN-atic rather than Earthbound Fanatic
- James: Not to be that guy, buuuuuut–“fan-uh-t ic.” I guess someone over at Fangamer had a little brain fart. THAT SAID, I’m...