M2 vs. EarthBound: Monkey Caves
The other day, pirohiko posted a Tool Assisted Speedrun (TAS) of EarthBound. The previous TAS record for EarthBound was 3 or 4 hours, but this latest run is just over 1 hour total 😯 To do this, legitimate bugs in the game are used to skip parts of the game, no cheat codes or anything were used. If you’re not familiar with what a TAS is, I like to think of it as how a superhuman might play a game.
Anyway, if you want to see the neat tricks and super-efficient methods to blaze through the game this quickly, check out pirohiko’s video! Also, an explanation of the various methods and glitches used are documented here. It’s fascinating stuff.
TASs are really cool, but for EarthBound, I’d love to see someone try to break the 7 hour or even 6 hour barrier by playing on an actual console in one single sitting. I forget where the record currently is, but it’s somewhere above 7 hours, I believe.
(Incidentally, I actually came across the new TAS the same day it was posted, and a bunch of people informed me almost immediately after, too. It’s great that people are submitting EarthBound news more often, so keep it up!)
Other Related Posts:
22 Comments to Finishing EarthBound in One Hour!
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...