March 25th, 2009 | EarthBound, Videos

The other day, pirohiko posted a Tool Assisted Speedrun (TAS) of EarthBound. The previous TAS record for EarthBound was 3 or 4 hours, but this latest run is just over 1 hour total 😯 To do this, legitimate bugs in the game are used to skip parts of the game, no cheat codes or anything were used. If you’re not familiar with what a TAS is, I like to think of it as how a superhuman might play a game.

Anyway, if you want to see the neat tricks and super-efficient methods to blaze through the game this quickly, check out pirohiko’s video! Also, an explanation of the various methods and glitches used are documented here. It’s fascinating stuff.

(Incidentally, I actually came across the new TAS the same day it was posted, and a bunch of people informed me almost immediately after, too. It’s great that people are submitting EarthBound news more often, so keep it up!)

22 Comments to Finishing EarthBound in One Hour!

rayefrenzy said on Mar. 25, 2009

i love TAS-es. So here’s my question… Why would they use the English Earthbound, as opposed to Mother 2 since… as far as I can tell, its done by some japanese people.

Chatetris said on Mar. 25, 2009

I can do that blind folded!!!! JK

PKNuMan said on Mar. 25, 2009

He skipped most of the parts. Isn’t that kinda cheating?

Jimi said on Mar. 25, 2009

All that’s really required of a speedrun is to complete the game, no matter what.

It’s like saying that a speedrun of Super Mario Bros. isn’t good because he used the warp zone.

Of course, I hold that opinion that it should be done the hard way, aka all the levels, but meh.

blrasmu said on Mar. 25, 2009

Wow, just over an hour? That’s just nuts.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

rayefrenzy: probably because it’s a lot more documented by TASers and hackers. That’s my guess, anyway.

eme said on Mar. 25, 2009

sorry for de-railing the thread, but aparently the last famitsu publishes something about a quite MOTHEResque RPG coming to the LEVEL-5 ROID system. http://dareyoma.blog17.fc2.com/blog-entry-150.html

OMG HYPE.

Sonicandtails said on Mar. 25, 2009

rayefrenzy: I would say because possibly less text in certain spots.

JoeWuzHere said on Mar. 25, 2009

The graphics look so… smooth… wtf?

santiagoff said on Mar. 25, 2009

Holy shit. Those are THE glitches.

Starwolf_UK said on Mar. 25, 2009

@JoeWuzHere. Optional emulator graphics filters are responsibe for those.

I’ve only watched the first few minutes…poor Starman Junior.

Bobbyjkl said on Mar. 25, 2009

I tried to download, but what is this SMV?

In other words, how would I download this from the TAS site?

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

You’ll next need to get Snes9x, load the EB ROM, then load the smv movie file you just got.

M-Warrior said on Mar. 25, 2009

“TASs are really cool, but for EarthBound, I’d love to see someone try to break the 7 hour or even 6 hour barrier by playing on an actual console in one single sitting. I forget where the record currently is, but it’s somewhere above 7 hours, I believe.”
Here you go, an actual console run just above 4 hours.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

Actually, I already covered that one here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/413-earthbound-speedrun/

But that was a segmented run, which is a little different than what I was talking about. I’m most interested in a one-sitting run, since that’s closest to playing normally.

Xi said on Mar. 26, 2009

I was dissapointed when I saw the 4:13 run on http://speeddemosarchive.com/ . SDA used to not allow segmented runs on principle… I guess it got too hard to prove or something.

KingMike said on Mar. 26, 2009

Yeah, I was kinda wondering why they didn’t use Mother 2, which would probably produce a faster run time.
Less text to print, and I suspect M2’s fixed-width font is probably processed faster than EB’s variable-width font.

Nin10 said on Mar. 31, 2009

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

SoreThumb said on Mar. 31, 2009

The ‘see the video here’ link wont’ work anymore, unfortunately! 😐

MugiwaraYonkou said on Apr. 19, 2009

IN THE NAME OF GIYGAS!! Just 70 minutes incluiding credits,

*You cannot grasp the true form of this speedrun*

MegazeroX said on Apr. 25, 2009

Uhh, I can get there but the video doesnt start! What do I do?

Michael said on Dec. 23, 2010

first wait it takes a bit all i have to say is HOLY CRAP