Weekly Round-Up for Apr. 18, 2010
The other day, pirohiko posted a Tool Assisted Speedrun (TAS) of EarthBound. The previous TAS record for EarthBound was 3 or 4 hours, but this latest run is just over 1 hour total 😯 To do this, legitimate bugs in the game are used to skip parts of the game, no cheat codes or anything were used. If you’re not familiar with what a TAS is, I like to think of it as how a superhuman might play a game.
Anyway, if you want to see the neat tricks and super-efficient methods to blaze through the game this quickly, check out pirohiko’s video! Also, an explanation of the various methods and glitches used are documented here. It’s fascinating stuff.
TASs are really cool, but for EarthBound, I’d love to see someone try to break the 7 hour or even 6 hour barrier by playing on an actual console in one single sitting. I forget where the record currently is, but it’s somewhere above 7 hours, I believe.
(Incidentally, I actually came across the new TAS the same day it was posted, and a bunch of people informed me almost immediately after, too. It’s great that people are submitting EarthBound news more often, so keep it up!)
Other Related Posts:
22 Comments to Finishing EarthBound in One Hour!
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...