March 5th, 2009 | EarthBound, Food, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

A kind of small update to the previous entry in which Izumi visited a restaurant mentioned in MOTHER 2.

Last night I came across a Japanese site that had a video of someone visiting the same restaurant, and they made a video about it, so I subtitled it into English real quick. Here you go!

There are a number of other restaurants mentioned in MOTHER 3, and I’ll talk about them later on. Izumi was cool enough to visit one of those ones, too. We should totally make some kind of bizarre tour that EarthBound fans can take when they visit Japan, and include these places 😀

POLL: Would you stop by this place if you were in the neighborhood?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

19 Comments to Eating at EarthBound Shops #2

Xi said on Mar. 5, 2009

Absolutely! Many an anime fan visits places such as Tokyo U, as well as other places from their favorite anime. We need a list so the Earthbound fan can enjoy a similar experience! =)

Poe said on Mar. 5, 2009

I’m surprised that restaurant is still open after all these years. Or maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised since Itoi liked it enough to mention it in his game. :3 I guess it’s that good.

nekoaitsu said on Mar. 5, 2009

I would totally follow a tour guide if one was made. In fact, my girlfriend would probably enjoy it as well. 😀

Saturnome said on Mar. 5, 2009

All these posts made me want to try the food.
I tried to find tonkatsu looking the menus (on internet) of japanese restaurants around town, but found nothing. I found recipes though!

Poe said on Mar. 5, 2009

^ If you’re confident in your cooking skills, you should definitely put a tonkatsu recipe to good use. I made chicken katsu last week (allergic to pork), and even though I couldn’t find any panko bread crumbs and was forced to use the regular kind, they still ended up friggin’ delicious.

22hunter said on Mar. 5, 2009

That looks delicious

Darien said on Mar. 5, 2009

Panko is pretty easy to find in the United States, in my experience. Many supermarkets carry it, even, though you’ll have to look in the “Asian foods” section; they won’t just keep it with the other breadcrumbs.

The main problem with buying panko at retail is that, since Asian foods are so trendy right now, it’s not at all cheap. I buy twenty-pound bags of it for my restaurant, and they’re about $25. At the grocery store, you’ll pay $3.50 for like 2oz.

On the gripping hand, though, they’re useful for lots of other things. If you ever wanted to make your own fried cheese balls/sticks, for instance, panko is ideal for the purpose. It’s also excellent for any sort of fried fish.

Izumi said on Mar. 5, 2009

ăȘă€ă‹ă—ă„ïŒ

Grant Walmer said on Mar. 5, 2009

I was about to say yes to this poll.. Then I started thinking.. as a vegatarian, I wouldn’t be able to get the pork cutlets!

Deiphobus said on Mar. 5, 2009

the restaurant is “sheng man” (胜挫) in chinese =O

somaticdefilement said on Mar. 5, 2009

Totally hitting this place up when i travel to Japan =D

rayefrenzy said on Mar. 6, 2009

Now I’m hungry…

santiagoff said on Mar. 6, 2009

I’m hungry. I’d like three of those! xP

NessRules said on Mar. 6, 2009

Holy giygas! I want four!

Izumi said on Mar. 8, 2009

One was pushing it, for me. ^^;

Aqy said on Mar. 26, 2009

I recently tried Tonkatsu at Kikugawa in Minneapolis, MN exactly because of the EarthBound reference heh heh. It’s not bad, but the tonkatsu prepared in this video looks better than what I had. I got a pretty large serving of two cutlets, heh. The breading or whatever has a good flavor.

friek said on Apr. 10, 2009

I would visit it just for the food, and not just because it was mentioned in Earthbound. Damn I’m so hungry right now.

BB said on Nov. 24, 2009

Looks delicious.

Nyx said on May. 27, 2012

Make the tour! We need instructions for our pilgrimage. Maybe we should include the big hole on the tour?