March 17th, 2009 | EarthBound, MOTHER 3

Since today is Saint Patrick’s Day, let’s do something a little different!

A good while back, my girlfriend and I decided for some bizarre reason to watch the movie Leprechaun. As the movie started, we noticed things that really reminded us of EarthBound stuff. As the movie went along, it sort of turned into a “hey, that’s EarthBoundy too!” game. When all was said and done, trying to spot these similarities made the otherwise laughably meh movie a little more entertaining. So I thought I’d showcase a few of these similarities here on EB Central today.

Just in case people get the wrong idea, I’m not saying EarthBound or MOTHER 3 or anything was inspired by this movie, or the other way around. That would be insane. These are just amusing coincidences in an old movie that predates those games 😛

Since today is St. Patrick’s Day, you might find this movie on TV today. If you do, see what other connections you can find! It’s a game! Or, if you’re crazy enough, you can the DVD off Amazon for like six dollars.

Alright, on with the show!

Here’s the title. I figured I’d just put it here to get started. By the way, this movie was one of Jennifer Aniston’s first roles. Funny how they stick her face on the box cover now that she’s famous 😛

Early on, we meet Pokey! Okay, it’s not Pokey, but close enough. Also, you may remember this guy as the jerk rich guy from Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

Fake Pokey talks here about seeing flying saucers and stuff. Okay, whatever, Pokey.

What the hell?! He’s friends with Lucas?!

Fake Lucas even has a red cap and a slingshot! Well, his hair color is more like Claus’, but whatever.

A little while later, we see that Pokey’s been painting the house blue. He even turns himself blue a little bit 😛

After Pokey finds the Leprechaun in the basement, Fake Kevin Bacon equips himself with a stick. Offense +5!

They all go into the basement, only to find… a rat! Reminded me of EarthBound Zero and Ninten’s basement.

After the basement adventure, Pokey sees a rainbow! How does that Pollyanna song go? “…I believe there’s a pot of gold at every rainbow’s end…”?

Anyway, Pokey and Lucas follow the rainbow and find this truck at the rainbow’s end. Inside… they find gold of course 😛

After they find a bag of gold, Pokey and Lucas are like, “We gotta hide this! Let’s hide it in the well!” Reminded me a lot of Butch hiding his newfound sack of money in the well in MOTHER 3.

Pokey and Lucas take a gold coin to a collector to have it looked at. While he’s closing up shop, the Leprechaun appears! Oh no!

The Leprechaun takes out a pogo stick and attacks the collector guy! Mortal damage to collector’s ribcage! That leprechaun, what a pogo punk!

On his way back to the house, the leprechaun gets pulled over by a cop. (yes I just wrote that wtf) The cop is like, “Hey, you! You know you shouldn’t be out here!” And then a fight ensues between them, with the miniscule leprechaun soundly defeating the cop. This was a stretch, but it did remind me very slightly of when Ness comes out of Giant Step and the cop is like, “Hey, you!” and then Ness beats all the cops up. Except Ness didn’t kill the cops and do eyeball transplants.

Back at the house, the leprechaun says boo a lot and scares everyone. Fake Kevin Bacon goes outside to find him… only to get caught in a stupid-ass trap! This one is exactly like the one in the scene with Kumatora in MOTHER 3. And whereas Kumatora planned to cut her foot off to get out of it, the leprechaun plans to cut this guy’s foot off for him with a hatchet.

Just then, everyone rushes out of the house to help Kevin Bacon. Jennifer Aniston equips a big stick and attacks!

Actually, this whole little scene is really cool and I wish I knew how to capture video from a DVD, because this scene flows exactly how an EarthBound battle would look in real life. I wanted to make a video showing it, with the battle text box and everything. If you have the DVD or see it on TV, try to follow along, you’ll see it matches really well:

• The Leprechaun suddenly attacks!
  • Pokey is calling for help!
  • The Leprechaun is biting!
  • Lucas bashes with a rock! 28 HP of damage to the Leprechaun!
  • Kevin Bacon bashes with a flashlight! 20 HP of damage to the Leprechaun!
  • Jennifer Aniston equips the Big Stick and attacks! 5 HP of damage to the Leprechaun!

I liked this because it looked like how a fight in EarthBound might look in real life. It only lasts for like 20 seconds though. Then they get a shotgun 😛

Later on, the leprechaun gets into a fridge. It doesn’t fly though. Indiana Jones did the whole flying fridge, though.

Then the leprechaun comes down the fireplace. Reminded me a tiny bit of Osohe Castle 😛

Lucas equips the Metal Bat! Offense +50!

The leprechaun acts like a punk on a skateboard!

Jennifer Aniston visits the old folks’ home for help.

What should she find there but an old green thing in a wheelchair! Okay, a real stretch, but reminded me of the sh-shave your game, shonny retirement home frog 😛

At the end, Lucas slingshots the leprechaun with a four-leaf clover stuck to some gum.

Unrelated bonus! His one-liner: “Fuck you, Lucky Charms!”

THE END!

Oh yeah, did I mention this all takes place in North Dakota? Mr. Saturn was trying to warn us of the leprechaun after all!

Anyway, this is all just fun nonsense, it’s not supposed to be taken seriously. Some of these things were pretty big stretches, and I skipped a lot of the REALLY “that’s trying too hard” things, but maybe on a boring Sunday or something and you see the movie on TV, give it a watch and see what stuff you can find. Maybe try it with any movie that’s bad, it really does make bad movies a little more fun 😛

We went on to watch all the other Leprechaun movies. They all suck. Except for – and I’m 100% serious – Leprechaun in the Hood. That was actually quite good 😯

Anyway, hope you’re wearing green and getting boozed today! I mean coffeed!

38 Comments to EarthBound vs. Leprechaun! Fight!

ZombiePaul said on Mar. 17, 2009

I’m a huge horror fan, and I know these movies well (they’re good in a “this movie is so shitty it’s entertaining” kind of way). I don’t know how I never picked up on this before. It’s been years since I’ve seen one of them though. I’m going to throw this on while I do some studying later today. The sequels get kind of odd. I think it’s part 4 where it’s set in space. I wonder if there are Star Ocean similarities there? 🙂

Mato said on Mar. 17, 2009

Oh god I’m never watching Leprechaun in Space again. That was honestly one of THE worst things I’ve ever watched. No exaggeration, 100% serious. Man, my mind freezes up when I try to understand how that ever got made…

Jimi said on Mar. 17, 2009

A lot of those seemed like you’re really pulling for straws, but it was an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Clearly we should be doing this for a lot of movies.

-Leonidas shouted ‘This is Sparta!’
-Messenger fell down the well. SMAAAAASH 2875 HP of damage to the messenger!

-Batman punches. 213 HP of damage to The Joker!

-Pink puts himself on trial.
-Pink cannot grasp the true form of his own attack! 843 HP of damage to Pink!
-Pink’s shield disappeared

Speaking of stretching it, that last one sounded better in my head. XD

Mato said on Mar. 17, 2009

Oh, if you’re talking about the battle thing, it’s just something you’d have to actually see. Wish I could’ve provided a video.

Some of the things are real stretches though, yeah.

somaticdefilement said on Mar. 17, 2009

Mato: as far as screen capturing software for your computer, ishowu HD is a good program for mac and camtasia studio 6 is a great program for pcs, alternativly you can buy something like a kworld video capturing device, its just a usb plug on one side and the audio and visual plugs for your dvd player on the other. Alternatively alternatively I can look for the battle scene for you~

Mato said on Mar. 17, 2009

Oh right, why didn’t I think of using a video capture device. I was only thinking about ripping it straight from the DVD.

It’d be a bit of a pain to bring any DVD players into my office room though, so I dunno if I’ll mess with it.

fredmcnanner said on Mar. 17, 2009

Wow…I really need to run out to Blockbuster right now and rent this!

After looking at these pictures, it confuses me why Itoi hasn’t thought of live-action Mother movies.

Poe said on Mar. 17, 2009

Jennifer Aniston has different hair on the DVD cover! I see past their trickery.

CodeZTM said on Mar. 17, 2009

You can rip video files from DVD’s by doing the following:

1)Download/install DVD Decrpyter
2)Run program, rip DVD to C:
3)Install DGIndex, open .VOB files of scene
4)Mark to the left and right of where you want the scene to start/stop.
5)Save Project AS > Save somewhere
6)Install/Run VirtualDubMod.
7)Open the DGIndex file.
8)Open Video>Compression
9)Select favorite video codec (WMV, AVI, whatever)
10) Save Video File As > Name
11) You have DVD footage. Huzzah. 😀

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. zackarymurdoch@gmail.com

Enjoy!

Dale said on Mar. 17, 2009

Well, I lol’d.

Anonymous said on Mar. 17, 2009

This is on right now. I wasn’t going to watch it but now I am. lol

Yoyoenix91 said on Mar. 17, 2009

I’m watching it now too. I like the Lebrechaun movies, no matter how HORRIBLE they are… and the Leprechaun really does kind of frighten me. It has, like, Freddy Frueger like powers.

Claus said on Mar. 17, 2009

That’s too funny.

ZombiePaul said on Mar. 17, 2009

Mato:

I think to putting Jason Vorhees in space in “Jason X” was equally nutty. 🙂

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 17, 2009

Oh, Leprechaun. What a terrible series. I want to know who the executive in Hollywood is who let that movie get past the initial writing process.

NessRules said on Mar. 17, 2009

nice keychain adventure reference!

santiagoff said on Mar. 17, 2009

Lol at the cool similarities.

Aqy said on Mar. 17, 2009

LOL!

Deiphobus said on Mar. 17, 2009

you have a girlfriend? (no offense or anything, i just didn’t know xD)

Anonymous said on Mar. 17, 2009

Mato its cool that you start comparing things in movies that remind you of earthbound and I usually do something like that,but instead I would start comparing actors from a movie to people from my school that look alike that my friends know and we would lol,but I only do that if a movie is boring or if its a comedy movie.

spiffy said on Mar. 17, 2009

@ jimi

lol, I think you just proved the Wall can be a video game o.O

Big A2 said on Mar. 17, 2009

This crazy. I laughed so hard at the blue paint bit.

Darien said on Mar. 18, 2009

I really feel for Warwick Davis. He’s a fine actor, but he’s only 3’6″, so he gets stuck being the damn leprechaun.

That said, that was great. I loved the blue paint bit, too. That was my favourite.

Millhouse said on Mar. 18, 2009

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but wasn’t that Demi (can’t remember if that’s the right name) on the iPhone Event Broadcast? You know, Steve Demeter, the guy who developed TRISM and who hacked EB0 to work on emulators? Wow. I expected everybody but him.

Go Steve!!

Psychomax said on Mar. 18, 2009

Ugh, last year my floormates got Leprechaun in the Hood with my blockbuster card. When they ended up watching it they were all to drunk to remember it, and they kept it overdue for an entire month.

Mrs. Saturn said on Mar. 19, 2009

I remember watching this movie – it scared the crap out of me as a kid. Of course, I’d probably just laugh if I saw it today!

LoveOmega said on Mar. 19, 2009

Oh gosh…that sounds like such a horrible movie. But it’s so fun to watch horrible movies just for the sake of making fun of them. XD The “blue” part was the best.

Mr. Nosy said on Mar. 20, 2009

And now to make an Earthbound hack of this!

Mr. Nosy said on Mar. 20, 2009

By the way, this causes me to consider celebrating future Saint Patrick Days by playing A LOT of Mother (1, 2, and 3!).

(The bad thing is that this move is rated R…)

Gurp said on Aug. 28, 2009

Amazing

phillipblabla said on Nov. 29, 2009

wow…that’s pretty cool Mato!

machopikarai99 said on Feb. 22, 2011

DAKOTA!!:D

BigDream said on Nov. 8, 2011

Weird…

ozwalled said on Mar. 17, 2012

Some valiant adventurer should make an EB hack or fangame of Leprechaun for next March. 😉

coffees brother said on May. 22, 2012

even the nostalgia critic said the fuck you lucky charms kid was ness

Anonymous said on Mar. 17, 2013

Sweet mother of God. That was terrible.

CaptainCab said on Mar. 17, 2013

As an Earthbound fan who happens to live in North Dakota and loves MST3K/movie riffing, I really dug every bit of this, lol Speaking of which, I’m pretty sure there’s a Rifftrax for Leprechaun….

Halloween said on Mar. 17, 2013

Haha, I would have probably thought the same thing if I saw a Fake Pokey dressed in blue with a kid dressed like Lucas.