Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #37

March 21st, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

This is a bug that’s in MOTHER 1+2 only. It doesn’t work with the Super Famicom or Super NES versions of the game.

Basically, the programmers made it so that Giygas can’t be damaged normally, but they forgot to make it so that poison damage doesn’t work on him too. So by poisoning him in this form, you can kill him. It just takes a while.

The video above wasn’t taken by me, I swiped it from Nico Nico Douga, converted it (thanks forum guys!), and added some captions. This trick is something I’d heard about for years, but until now I never really looked into it very hard. Now hopefully this will clear things up.

41 Comments to Defeating Giygas Without Praying

Tansunn said on Mar. 21, 2009

1. The sound effects sound so… dead in this version.

2. The ending made me laugh pretty hard. Not only do you just get a normal boring “you win” fanfare seemingly out of nowhere, Mom, Tracy, and King are just randomly standing there when you exit the battle.

James said on Mar. 21, 2009

I gotta wonder how somebody thought to try this in the first place.

Darien said on Mar. 21, 2009

Reminds me of the final boss in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, which you can see running around off in the distance before you actually technically go to fight it. It’s immune to normal attacks, but it’s not immune to poison (I think it’s actually “acid,” but it’s the same thing). So if you shoot it with a weapon that has an acid mod, it’ll take damage. You can’t actually kill it this way, but you can get it all the way down to just a sliver of health and then one-shot it once the real fight starts.

Mrs. Saturn said on Mar. 21, 2009

That was pretty neat, if not especially climactic (lol @Ness’s family randomly standing next to Giygas when you win :D). I dislike how they downgraded the music for MOTHER 1+2, but I guess it can’t be helped…

Aurilliux said on Mar. 21, 2009

@James I know that’d be something I’d try if things were going badly while I was fighting Giygas. Once, I had spent all my PP as Ness, and Paula, Jeff, and Poo got death-attacked, so I ended up sitting there seeing if you could SMAAASH Giygas to death (it doesn’t work so well…). If I had a viper lying around in my inventory, I definitely would’ve tossed that at him too.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 21, 2009

Ness gets more experience from defeating a single Fobby than he does from destroying the physical embodiment of evil and hatred.

Now that’s something.

Dr. Hobo said on Mar. 21, 2009

Wow. I agree with Tansunn. The SFX suck. Other than that, it was pretty weird.

Viewtiful_Justin said on Mar. 21, 2009

That’s so odd. It amazes me the depth to which Earthbound fans will go to sniff out every little modicum of fun and oddness to be found in the game.

Love it.

Kurisuellegarden said on Mar. 21, 2009

Why was his family standing there???…o_o

Mato said on Mar. 21, 2009

Because the game put them in that spot on the screen for the upcoming cut scene but the cut scene never happened so the sprites never got turned off.

Super Spong Brothers said on Mar. 21, 2009

So where’s that thread letting the people know how to download videos from Nico Nico Douga, eh?

Mato said on Mar. 21, 2009

Downloading from NND is easy, there’s nothing to it. Just go to a video, let it load all the way, then go into your temporary internet files/cache and find the most recent really large file. Sometimes it’s a .flv file, sometimes its a standard video file like avi or wmv. Just copy it out of there and there you go.

santiagoff said on Mar. 21, 2009

This proves poisoning is the best thing in RPGs. EVER.

Jimi said on Mar. 21, 2009

That’s pretty amazing to watch. I can only start to believe that Ness’s family was there the entire time. and I just imagine the consequences.

Deiphobus said on Mar. 21, 2009

i LOVE how ness’s family is there

Belasted said on Mar. 21, 2009

I’m sad that his father wasn’t there. You can’t just buy your son’s love with money and progress-saving. I wish he would come back and be a father again.

rayefrenzy said on Mar. 21, 2009

I’m not one to use status effects for much of anything, but if it works on the ultimate cosmic evil, maybe i should re-think my pokemon strategy…

Spitball Sparky said on Mar. 21, 2009

Now THIS is interesting. I suppose a solo character challenge besides Paula is now possible.

wants_latios_lots said on Mar. 21, 2009

Is it feasible to do that without hacking the stats?

Hunter Coates said on Mar. 22, 2009

Ness: Was this your best idea to poison Giygas? He’s immune!
Jeff: Uhh…they forgot that in MOTHER1+2, they made him poisonable.
Ness: How the heck did you even KNOW that?
All: …
Paula: No use of praying? Creepy.

Jotokun said on Mar. 22, 2009

Ok, I’ll definitely have to try this once I get to Giygas in my 1+2 cart. Hopefully I’ll be able to get by with sane stats.

And yes, the music and sound effects aren’t as good, although you get used to it(except for the sound effect for PK Starstorm… why does it sound so bad?!?)

questionsleep said on Mar. 22, 2009

Too bad EB doesn’t have something like Pokémon’s “Toxic”. The damage doubles each time the poison damages.

Claus said on Mar. 31, 2009

What made Gyiyg/Giygas/Giegue (whatever you want to call him) transform into a red gas looking thing from a white alien?

Doctor Icarus said on May. 8, 2009

Claus, I think he became “so evil” that his body got destroyed. Or perhaps he became so evil that he needed the Devil’s Machine to think clearly, and using the Devil’s Machine destroys your body.

My theory? The red is the embodiment of his soul. His real body was plated in gold and made into a statue…

Shamu said on May. 18, 2009

Can someone tell me the original link from NND?

wat said on Jun. 14, 2009

Woah, that sure crushed a moment for crying there.

Hunter said on Jun. 16, 2009

I got this video in my favorites list. Isn’t Giygas a non-solid?

kirbyrules452 said on Jul. 12, 2009

That annoying fanfare gives me the creeps! <:(

PSIchopath said on Jul. 12, 2009

@ Doctor Icarus; actually, you are sent back in time too destroy him. He is unborn in a strange machine. He is… a FETUS!!!!(???) If he were to be born, he would look like he does in M1, and thus, be virtually unstopable. That is, unless, Ness somehow new M1’s 8 melodies song.

PSIchopath said on Jul. 12, 2009

Also, Giygas uses the Mani Mani statues the same way Egyptians said their gods used idols.

PSIchopath said on Jul. 12, 2009

Or how Fassad uses Happy boxes.

pk rockin omega said on Aug. 19, 2009

wait a socond if ness paula jeff and poo went back in time and destroys giygas wouldent it make it so ninten ana and Lloyd wouldn’t have to start their quest because if it was after ninten ana and lloyd, ness paula jeff and poo would be in space because when ninten ana and lloyd beat giegue he blasts of into space. ok.

pk rockin omega said on Aug. 19, 2009

well thats what i think.

Tentelumper said on Oct. 22, 2009

What does the text say when all four of the party members are laying motionless. Why is the pary laying motionless? Is this the default Game Over for losing to Gyigas or is this a varation? What happens afterward if this isn’t the default Game Over…?

Kopper said on Nov. 24, 2009

No, that’s what happens when you win. I think it says something like “The war against Giygas is over.”

death said on Feb. 18, 2010

pk rockin omega no because earthbound is in the 1900 while mother 1 is in 1800 so giygas woud be destroyed maybe different looking because it is 10 years later so i guess gigue was brought back cause he fled not die so ness destroyed giygas from the start

deadly_feather said on Aug. 12, 2010

That viper was turned into a Boa Transistor, now with venomous fangs which always poison.

TheMr.SaturnGuy said on Sep. 12, 2010

Man, Mother1+2 looks like its Pk Rockin.
I would buy it for myself, if it wasnt so highly priced on ebay…

KingMike said on Sep. 12, 2010

What? Mother 1 happened in 1988 (though EB0 said it was the ’80s).
EarthBound was set in the ’90s. At the end, Ness and his friends are sent back in time 10 years.

thatguy said on Sep. 18, 2010

Once I was playing the Snes version of EB and used the pharaohs cures on the first form of Giygas “you know with porky.” and Giygas was poisoned but I died before i could see what would happend.

PK Mudkip said on Sep. 19, 2010

@KingMike
Thus creating a paradox where Giygas now hates boys with red caps and blue and yellow shirts that have bats plus a girl, and a nerd for friends. THE END