Random Post:

Weekly Round-Up #53
MOTHER 2 Gyiyg's Counterattack w/Poster Game Book Novel Japan EX10

March 6th, 2009 | EarthBound 64, Uncommon Knowledge

If you’re not sure what this is all about, see here. Basically, because of the markings on the disks, it was hoped that the canceled DD64 version of MOTHER 3 was on them.

Anyway, it took a long time, but after lots of hard work, the disks’ current owner, coreycorey2000 managed to boot two of the disks a few years ago. One was Mario Artist and one was Sim City 64. He hadn’t been able to boot the other two, though there was obviously stuff on them.

Then, just the other day, he made a post saying that he finally managed to run what was on the other two disks – and it turns out they both had copies of Doshin the Giant on them.

Unfortunately I have more bad news. I finally got around to hooking the 64dd dev kit up again last night. I tried the two disks that wouldn’t boot previously. It was quite simple to get them to run this time. I just had to go to Run then Go instead of using the resetdd command. I was so excited when the first one booted up. But it turned out to be Doshin the Giant. I played around with that for a while then decided to try the last disk. Disk #1. I figured it was #1 it had to be something good. But no it was another copy of Doshin the Giant.

No MOTHER 3. So that ends the mystery.

I really need to sit down and do a write-up of this whole thing, the history page I linked to above is way, way out of date. Anyway, there probably are disks somewhere that have beta MOTHER 3 stuff on them, but we’d need elite ninjas to find and seize them. So for now, that’ll have to stay a dream.

34 Comments to Blue Disk Saga is Very Over

Xi said on Mar. 6, 2009

It’s just as well. We were finally able to experience Itoi’s dream for Mother 3… I always felt that the blue disks were being used as a kind of “look at me, I have the disks” being waved around in front of the EB community. Now that Mother 3 has actually been released they meant less, and now that we know what is actually on them the community will no longer have its heartstrings needlessly tugged on. Hopefully one day we will maybe get access to some EB64 beta, but at least this brings the community much needed closure. =)

Apple Corps said on Mar. 6, 2009

I have a beta disk, but I need to purchase a new lung for my sister within 4 months or she’ll die. I have barely enough money as it is, so there’s no way I can afford expensive 64DD equipment. The lung and the surgery will cost over $59,000. Please Starmen. Help.

Jon Otis said on Mar. 6, 2009

Aw, that’s a shame. At least we didn’t end up spending all that money that was raised… I donated $200 myself to the cause (reid returned it all, of course), and I can tell you now that I would have felt pretty stupid if we had discovered that back then. 😛

YAOMTC said on Mar. 6, 2009

THE END

santiagoff said on Mar. 6, 2009

oh well…

Difegue said on Mar. 6, 2009

Really dudes, someone should have stole a beta on Spaceworld or something :p

Justin Blenkle said on Mar. 6, 2009

I was just thinking about this the other day. Sucks that it wasn;t what we wanted it to be… but A+ for effort 🙂

HAK2 said on Mar. 6, 2009

wow… what a dissapointment.
i’ve always wanted (but never had the guts or communication skills) to send a letter to Itoi or someone to ask about any left over EB64 things, and to see if he could send one to me to spread to all the land….
or something like that…
I might try sometime though…

Spitball Sparky said on Mar. 6, 2009

I think we all sort of saw this coming.

rayefrenzy said on Mar. 6, 2009

its like one big anticlimax.

NessNomar said on Mar. 6, 2009

Sucks

16_Bit said on Mar. 6, 2009

Why were they labeled that, anyway?

TheReaper09 said on Mar. 6, 2009

Well thanks for that update on the blue disks and its good to atleast know the truth about all of them,but Hopefully one day one of those Spaceworld 1999 mother 3 demo disk pops up on the internet for sale.

Briianz said on Mar. 6, 2009

aww. that is just pretty disappointing D:

Rafa said on Mar. 6, 2009

Strange, the blue disk saga popped into my head last night at random, and the next day I see something about it.
I didn’t really expect anything related to Mother 3 to be on those disks in the first place.

@16_Bit: My guess is that they’re labeled that way to be able to organize them in a certain order. Name, genre, build, date – either of those or something else.

Jimi said on Mar. 6, 2009

Blue disks sound delicious. I support this training of Ninjitsu. Or perhaps Saturnjitsu?

Keiji Dragon said on Mar. 6, 2009

As I said before on Starmen.net, I’m personally a little disappointed, but not surprised. Corey deserves some credit for doing all this for us and 64DD fans though. Plus, he may have just started the first of the 64DD emulation scene. wink wink.

Aside from that, where’s my news credit? 😛 (I’m not really trippin’)

Aerostella said on Mar. 7, 2009

Meh, I’m not disappointed.

santiagoff said on Mar. 7, 2009

HELL YEAH SATURNJITSU!

SoreThumb said on Mar. 10, 2009

Wow, so Corey actually could boot something? and he wasn’t a major lie?
Shame that it was a downer, but at least it’s over. Stories with no ending are a bit more awkward than stories that end. :3

hyperhopper said on Mar. 10, 2009

AM I THE ONLY ONE!!!!!

GUYS LOOK AT THE BACKROUND OF THE PICTURE!!!!!

THE DISCS ARE ON CASES OF THEIR RESPECTIVE GAMES!!!! TOP LEFT = MARIO ARTIST CASE!!!! TOP RIGHT = SIMS 64 CASE!!!!! HELLOOO PEOPLE!

Yadda said on Mar. 19, 2009

Hyperhopper, it’s a coincidence. blue disks are debug. if they were retail, the disks would be black.

DanteAMD said on Mar. 26, 2009

I have another blue disk and I’m not able to boot it D:
Also, I have a yellow cartridge and don’t know what it contains D:

Prof. Saturn said on May. 30, 2009

N@ M*ther 3 rom you say! Me alls sad now zoom! Least of we owning gba m@ther 3! me feels all happy now!
BOING! \/
C:-8
/\

ShigekiFanger said on Jun. 2, 2009

THE END…?

conn3r said on Jul. 11, 2009

well look on the bright side! we now hav 3 out of 4 un-released games! just not one of them is earthbound 64…..

mudpin49 said on Aug. 21, 2009

baaawwww! i was really hoping for eb64 D’X

LightningLuigi said on Aug. 31, 2009

Disappointing, but not a complete surprise. The idea that the disks contained anything Mother 3 related was just an educated hunch at best.

It would be interesting to get a hold of the latest build of Mother 3 64 and see exactly how different it is from the Game Boy Advance version. It certainly wouldn’t be anywhere near completion, but if the screenshots are so much of a vauge example, we could certainly learn a lot.

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Feb. 1, 2010

I have seen blue disks, though if I’m correct MOTHER 64 was never finished. I have seen them for unreleased games (not unreleased for the 64, but for the DD64). While MOTHER 64, being never finished, would have never even made it to debug.

Still, maybe when I grow up a little bit to be a crappy videogame past reviewer, I can contact friggin’ HAL to see if they’d let me enter their offices (and steal a couple beta cartridegs).

JamesBond007 said on Nov. 16, 2010

Wait a second – Wikipedia says on 64DD article:
“The new medium for the N64DD was rewritable and had a storage capacity of 64 MB.”

If the disks were rewritable, maybe they had development version of EarthBound 64 in the past, but the game was erased and replaced with Mario Arist, SimCity 64 and Doshin the Giant.

The final reason – if this is true and there is no more development disks, EarthBound 64 is lost. Forever.

bitchslap said on Nov. 21, 2010

I remember when i went to nintendo last week to look around I saw a disk kind of like the one in the picture above I looked at it and from what i read it said something like “beta25m3eb903mb” but the print was messed up so I don’t know what it really says, anyways it’s a green disk with a stamp saying “Nintendo Hq beta disk” and if im not mistaken the disk was probably 903 mb of the beta m3 or its just a profile for the disk.

Nyx said on Feb. 19, 2012

What is “Doshin the Giant”?

kurtis carignan said on Apr. 27, 2012

wow…..thats pritty cooooool……wait, i thouhg they were sold at a oction!!!!!

Nyx Sparkle said on May. 11, 2012

Some one please write a book about this. I am in need of a good one, and one about The Blue Disk Saga would be awesome!