March 25th, 2009 | Images, Rumors

UPDATE! A much better quality version of the image has been found, see here.

Apparently, a new type of game and entertainment service (playable on PC and mobile phone) called “Roid” is planned to be released in Japan. The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu talks briefly about it, and the screenshot it includes is certainly eye-popping:

(click for bigger scan)

The article doesn’t say anything about the screenshot in particular, except asking, “Could this be THAT RPG?!” and that really big-title names are scheduled to be released on it. It’s not clear if this screenshot is just concept art or what, though. If you know Japanese, you can do an interactive demo of how the Roid interface works here, but there are no game demos or anything of interest in relation to this image.

Anyway, if anyone can get a better scan of this image, please let me know! Thanks to eme for pointing this out to me :D

EDIT: Here is a better screenshot comparison. It’d be better if we had a better scan to work with, but oh well. You can see here that many of the objects are drawn the same way, just with more colors than in EarthBound.

159 Comments to A New EarthBound Game?

DragonKazooie89 said on Mar. 25, 2009

It does look like a Mother/EarthBound game but it probably won’t be related to any of them. We’ll need more information about it.

Dead Joe! said on Mar. 25, 2009

fake!

hahaha

Annelili said on Mar. 25, 2009

The ROID thing kind of looks like it will only have level-5 made stuff on it. I’m curious, what does the caption next to the picture say though?

Cuflock said on Mar. 25, 2009

Epic lol.

I want one, it can transform in a robot.

Flint said on Mar. 25, 2009

So, are Nintendo or Itoi involved with this??

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

Nobody knows anything yet. We don’t even know if it’s going to be a real game or not.

Jeeves said on Mar. 25, 2009

Annelili,

“Could this be THAT RPG?!”, as Mato said in the update.

Roid, huh…..that’s a…that’s an interesting name choice there.

ZombiePaul said on Mar. 25, 2009

If I’ve learned one thing as an EarthBound fan over the years, it’s to not get your hopes up about things. This isn’t meant to sound overly negative but I think many would agree with me. It looks very EarthBoundish though. :)

Poe said on Mar. 25, 2009

Looks like a a screenshot from a fangame or something. The grass is nice and fluffy. ♥

P. Soup said on Mar. 25, 2009

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a Pokemon game, The graphics looks Pokemonish and the name Roid sounds like something they would do.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

The service is what’s called Roid, not the game. Also, things like the bushes are almost exactly as they’re drawn in EarthBound. Even the mailbox and the character look the same, as do the dirt paths. I doubt it’d be a Pokemon game.

eme said on Mar. 25, 2009

the character looks taller than ness/ninten.

they say it would be presented on the june 1st. the 20th anniversary of MOTHER is in july, could this be a remake?

but yes, we shouldn’t get our hopes up. at best, it’s going to be a new MOTHER game for japanese mobile phones.

Chatetris said on Mar. 25, 2009

It looks like the prototype for mother 2?! Doesn’t it?? Thats what I thought when I looked at it

chris said on Mar. 25, 2009

Not to, you know, shoot down everyones hopes, but why would Nintendo release something that is only suposed to play on a PC and cell phone? It would be for DS or something, you know, Nintendo actually makes…

does look a whole lot like EarthBound though…

chris said on Mar. 25, 2009

*whoops, take out that first “you know” cause it sounds very repetitive

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

Mother games are Itoi’s property, not Nintendo’s, so if he wanted to, he could move it to whatever system he wanted.

But if this is real, I hope we’ll be able to play it on our PCs even if we’re not in Japan. It doesn’t say if it’s region-locked to Japan-only IPs or not yet.

JoeWuzHere said on Mar. 25, 2009

I doubt it is a new mother game, but it must definitely be inspired by the series.

wants_latios_lots said on Mar. 25, 2009

I’m assuming it’s more of a nod towards Earthbound than any sort of sequel/port, especially considering it can be put on a phone. I like the “THAT game?!” though, makes me smile.

otherhand said on Mar. 25, 2009

That’s impressive. I really doubt it’s a Mother game, but we can always hope for some sort of “spiritual successor.” It sure does the heck look like one.

skyrunner14 said on Mar. 25, 2009

So Itoi owns MOTHER? I’m not sure how any of that works, but if so, does that mean Itoi could pretty much release a new MOTHER game on whatever system he wanted?

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

The graphics don’t look anything like any of the Mother games to me. Graphics are way too textured and ugly. If you look closely even the character’s eyes aren’t that similar.

MotherFTW said on Mar. 25, 2009

Damn,I hope its a remake.It looks like Earthbound sooo much.

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

Hell, even Contact looks more like Earthbound than this.

On closer inspection it looks like a Harvest Moon game or something.

JoeWuzHere said on Mar. 25, 2009

To uguuu: When you snap a picture of a screenshot, then convert it to jpeg, it can look like that :P

Rau said on Mar. 25, 2009

Well, I have to admit it really looks Motherish, but I dont belive its going to be a continuation-remake-whatever of any mother game … I mean, look at the shirt, it isnt even striped

But maybe is a little bassed on … but who knows?

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

I edited the update with this pic, because I’m amazed that people can’t see how many of the objects are almost exactly the same, aside from being more colorful.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 25, 2009

…Yeah, no.

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

Nope, I still don’t see it. Trees and flowers and paths and stuff.. those are all generic RPG fare. Maybe the road’s the only thing that’s out of place. The character looks animeeeeee.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

Even the view at the same exact angle and the modern setting and the exact same shape of multiple objects? How you could say it doesn’t look like EarthBound, I’ll never know. I’m not saying it IS, just that it looks like it.

Poe said on Mar. 25, 2009

The chimney too.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Mar. 25, 2009

It does say that it’s “THAT RPG”, so it must be something recognizable. If it’s not Mother, then what is it?

In all honesty, I’m hoping it’s not Mother-related, just because it somehow seems that we wouldn’t be able to play it.

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

The objects are similar but I don’t think a Mother game would have a boring style like that, and if it’s something paying a homage wouldn’t they go for the really recognizable style first?

I mean, I dunno, I don’t think of small things like the letterboxes and shrubbery when I think of EB’s style. That stuff could be in any game.

Wil said on Mar. 25, 2009

It’s definitely a mock Mother 2 screenshot.. Maybe it’s just a nod though.

P.F. said on Mar. 25, 2009

My 5 is on a Mother tribute style game. I got your back Mato. I can’t think of a single non-Mother console RPG that’s used both that angle and those elements (Let along that if you overlay some of those things their original outlines match up PERFECTLY. Sure, two games could have mailboxes, but those are exactly the same freaking mailbox.)

Also, the style is ‘ugly’ or ‘generic?’ What’re you smoking? The image is way too fuzzy to tell, but to me it looks like the only style this game is emulating is the later Mana series look, with its rich sense of color. Most ‘generic’ RPGs are much blander and have no sense of color depth.

Any case, to me it looks like the character in the screenshot has suspenders on and no hat, so…tribute? Or maybe somebody really did approach Itoi and say, “I want to make Mother 4…FOR ROID.” Well, that seems unlikely, but.

Spitball Sparky said on Mar. 25, 2009

If there was going to be another EarthBound, Nintendo would want it on their system, right?

OMG Roid is Engrish for Loid

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

P.F.: Aha, it’s really just me. I hate how most RPGs look, probably because I didn’t grow up playing them. EB/M3’s style are much easier on my eyes, while even stuff like FF6 feel kinda murky when I play them.

So I guess it’s like the reverse of all those people who hate EB’s graphics

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

Sparky: I’m guessing that if this IS real (even I’m not crazy enough to 100% believe it yet) then it’s quite possible that someone at Level 5 did take Itoi up on his offer and approached him about a possible new game or spinoff or something for their ROID thing. In which case, Nintendo probably wouldn’t factor into the equation at all.

uguuu said on Mar. 25, 2009

Oh, one thing I did read a while ago was that Itoi was considering doing something on the Wii, almost definitely.

It was from a second-hand source though (Timu Rogurazo) so I’m not sure about its validity, but if he really does it’ll be great.

Itoi’s No. 1 Trout Fishing!

Chewy said on Mar. 25, 2009

Wow that looks exactly like the Earthbound style… I can’t NOT see it. :P

Flint said on Mar. 25, 2009

Well,this its obiously using similar sprites to Earthbounds (if not the same just recolored Super Mario All stars style), Still, the posibility of the next MOTHER game coming for a system thats not Nintendo´s (and mostly not comming to America) almost neutralices the happines of a posible new entry in my favorite series.
This mostly smells like an homenage Fan thing, After the departure of setting in MOTHER 3, this seems more like the kind of thing a Fan who couldnt take the changes will do(back into the urban setting, back the boys as protagonist,etc) thats, to me a step back in the series.

Poe said on Mar. 25, 2009

uguuu – if this “Timu Rogurazo” you’re referring to is actually Tim Rogers, then you can rest assured it’s a load of crap.

santiagoff said on Mar. 25, 2009

Maybe it’s a kind of fangame?

PKNuMan said on Mar. 25, 2009

This just can’t be real…

What would they call it? “Mother Roid?”

Maybe the caption is a joke.
Most game magazines make jokes, right?

Tim Rogers said on Mar. 25, 2009

Hey!

santiagoff said on Mar. 25, 2009

Maybe those are his pajamas and not his normal clothes. Would make some sense , right?

Lothis said on Mar. 25, 2009

Well it IS time for most magazines to be putting out that good ol’ April issue…

Nesskid said on Mar. 25, 2009

This is eerily similar to that fake mother screen shot that popped up a few years ago.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

I’m not sure that’s a custom for Japanese magazines, though. The backlash I’ve seen for that kind of stuff in Japan is pretty harsh, so I doubt this is a joke.

ChickenHunter said on Mar. 25, 2009

I want to believe
*x-files music*

Nesskid said on Mar. 25, 2009

The screen shot I’m referring to is on this page however the pictures don’t seem to appear.

The Pickle said on Mar. 25, 2009

Doubt it. I’m no EarthBound expert, but I remember Itoi saying very clearly “No more Mother.” But, getting my hopes down will be the best way to recieve the news if it actually is. But if Nintendo isn’t associated with it, well, that makes me sad.

PKNuMan said on Mar. 25, 2009

True, Japan has different principles.

Wouldn’t it be funny if it was Pokemon?
But its definitely Mother style. Dang it! I don’t want to believe this is Mother but I also do want to! X(

PKNuMan said on Mar. 25, 2009

Alright. I just went to the Roid website and I saw Professor Layton and The Curious Village on the Roid. Nintendo is definitely involved with this thing…

PSInesslove93 said on Mar. 25, 2009

lol i wonder if it were a real game if people would sue them because it looks eerily similar to MOTHER 2.
that is, this screenshot… idk about the rest of the game too. but u never know with people just sueing everything nowadays ._.

Ms Saturn said on Mar. 25, 2009

Regardless of whether it is Mother or not, I am going to be watching this closely.

santiagoff said on Mar. 25, 2009

Please mato , if you find anything more about this , spread the new! Thanks again for this wonderful blog! :D

Cafechan said on Mar. 25, 2009

I have some doubts, but I can’t deny that it is QUITE similar.

But with my rotten luck, even if it did miraculously turn out to be some kind of beautiful Mother sequel, it probably wouldn’t work on my Mac or something like that. =P That kind of stuff always happens to me.

Leirin said on Mar. 25, 2009

Wow, this looks INSANELY similar to the MOTHER series’ graphical style O_o It actually look really nice! Haha, Roid made me instantly think of Loid, though. I agree that it looks somewhat like Harvest Moon…

…but, despite the similarities, I really don’t think this could be an EarthBound game. Really, I think it would have been more clear in the magazine what they meant if they wanted to [i]extensively[/i] hint at a new MOTHER.

Leirin said on Mar. 25, 2009

Uhh… snap. Dismiss my use of fake italics >_>

Chewy said on Mar. 25, 2009

I don’t see why it has to be a sequel to be in the MOTHER style. It might just be some fun little knock-off game. Which I would be happy with.

Charles said on Mar. 25, 2009

Wow, those bushes truly are quite similar. Wow.

DrGlove said on Mar. 25, 2009

Ooo! It’s even got the same level of orthography :D

NessNomar said on Mar. 25, 2009

COOL!

zedrein said on Mar. 25, 2009

This is going to be Nintendo’s April Fool’s Day prank

kurowoofwoof111 said on Mar. 25, 2009

Hope!?! For Earthbound!?! Does not compute.

XX Stone said on Mar. 25, 2009

I’m going to have Roid rage if they’re just trying to tease people ;)

beams said on Mar. 25, 2009

It’s definitely not nothing, so it’s gotta be something! And if it’s something, it’s worth watching.

16_Bit said on Mar. 25, 2009

The most I’m hoping for is a spinoff or tribute or something along those lines. But if it were MOTHER 4, that would be EPIC.

SuperSaber said on Mar. 25, 2009

I doubt that Nintendo is doing this as an April Fools day prank. Considering how much Mother fans have suffered, That kind of prank would be too cruel.

Aerostella said on Mar. 25, 2009

The Pickle: Itoi didn’t say no more MOTHER, he said he wouldn’t be making any more MOTHER games, but would love to see others make one.

Belasted said on Mar. 25, 2009

It can’t be Harvest Moon or Pokemon. It has to be a Mother game. Perhaps it’s the graphical equivalent of a music program that jazzes up a melody?

Josh said on Mar. 25, 2009

So does Famitsu actually not know? Or are they teasing that they know?

NamelessFriend said on Mar. 25, 2009

Aren’t R and L pronouced the same in Japanese? OMG I GET IT! It’s Mother 1, but Loid is the main character!!1!1

…maybe not… We will see…

lxa said on Mar. 25, 2009

EarthBound has to be THAT RPG in question, not that that means anything, but it’s a very obvious similarity.

That said, I agree that it’s kind of plain for a MOTHER game. The sprites are competent, even well-made, but it lacks the “verve” that EB and M3 have. Color depth is almost antithetical to the MOTHER games–the execution is kind of Harvest Moon-y and without style.

NamelessFriend said on Mar. 25, 2009

Also, if this is Ness, I sure hopes it’s him in his PJs, because if not WHERE’S THE BASEBALL CAP???

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

My guess is that it’s Ness when he’s a little older – he looks taller, wears older clothes, and there’s a street in front of his house now.

Tony said on Mar. 25, 2009

Not Mother guys, similar style or spiritual sequel, maybe, but a related title in a non-nintendo system? Never. Nintendo Co-owns the rights to the Mother franchise along with Itoi, so Itoi cannot simply release a new mother like that. To be quite honest i think is the april joke. And Mato, i can’t believe your last comment, it’s not new mother game, how could you say that’s Ness?

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

I didn’t say it’s Ness. I said “I guess”. Don’t overreact now.

Izumi said on Mar. 25, 2009

Okay, I’m going to the bookstore to buy Famitsu. >.>;

Tony said on Mar. 25, 2009

Peace bro, i didnt mean to sound that way. I mean it in a “How could you, you naughty little boy” way, cant use smilies so it sounded more violent.

My guess is, that this is finely crafted joke by some fan, or an unrelated game that is similar.

Avelon said on Mar. 25, 2009

It looks exactly how I would expect any RPG from a 45 degree viewpoint would look. The resemblance between this and EB is about like the resemblance between Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. The mail box in the only thing that’s spot on…and it’s a mail box. So I don’t expect it to be too terribly different.

Bentendo said on Mar. 25, 2009

Seriously Mato? I’m not even what you’d consider a big fan of the series, but I know very well that Nintendo co-owns the property to Mother along with Itoi. In fact, Nintendo developers created the series. That’s almost like saying that if Miyamoto quit Nintendo he could give Mario to Microsoft or Sony. One of the guys behind Fire Emblem quit Nintendo and made a game very similar to Fire Emblem for the PlayStation and Nintendo sued him for it. Itoi may be behind this, though if he pastes the Mother name anywhere in this game Nintendo has every right to sue for their fair share of the sales that it generates since they also own Mother.

Cafechan said on Mar. 25, 2009

You guys are getting way too bent out of shape. Even if it’s totally unrelated to Mother, at least it’s a fun little comparison, right? Don’t jump all over Tomato like that. :(

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

I don’t know the actual legal setup between Itoi and Nintendo, though I doubt anyone here would know, but unless this magazine is a joke, then that would make the most sense.

Miyamoto works for Nintendo though, and like with most companies, what you create at your company belongs to the company, which is why Mario is Nintendo’s. Itoi’s in a slightly different situation, so it’s possible that the arrangement of ownership differs a little too.

I’ll say again that this is speculation. But if that screenshot is real, either Itoi’s able to have Mother games on anything he wants, or Nintendo was OK with it, or somebody’s getting sued soon.

ozwalled said on Mar. 25, 2009

I’m skeptical about all of this, if for no other reason than everything about all of his ROID thing seems weird — the very fact that it’s not actually a console when there’s a mock-up console thing that they show screams “gag” to me, all-around.

Still, I’m really hoping that this is real, and that it’ll be a spiritual successor to the Mother series, and even though M3 was fantastic and Itoi said there’d be no Mother 4 from him, if he changed him mind on that, I’d be pleased as punch as well.

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

The ROID thing was announced last year actually, and there was a press conference and all kinds of fanfare and stuff. It’d be really weird that it was all an elaborate hoax, especially when this latest announcement is that the service opens in 2 months :P

KingDarian said on Mar. 25, 2009

Hah, they think that screenshot is a MOTHER game. Looks like it’s good enough to fool non-MOTHER fans.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Mar. 25, 2009

Holy crap, 87 comments. Is that an EBC record?

Mato said on Mar. 25, 2009

No, the legal issues one was over a hundred.

Nimbus said on Mar. 26, 2009

Haha, I just read this on Kotaku and was about to post it on SM.Net, but of course you beat me to it, Mato. ;D

Whether or not it’s actually related to the Mother series, it definitely has a similar graphic style! I don’t want to jump the gun, but the prospect of a new Itoi game sounds really exciting! The skeptic inside tells me to calm down though, especially after Itoi so recently commented that he had little interest in making a Mother 4…

ozwalled said on Mar. 26, 2009

“The ROID thing was announced last year actually, and there was a press conference and all kinds of fanfare and stuff. It’d be really weird that it was all an elaborate hoax, especially when this latest announcement is that the service opens in 2 months”

Ah, I take it back. Thanks for the info. :)

LeXxXiNgToN said on Mar. 26, 2009

Seeing how level 5 works on dragon quest, I can see them doing a new Mother game.

bhlaab said on Mar. 26, 2009

looks more like a remake of Mother 1 with updated graphics. Look at the design of the house. The area kind of looks like northern podunk too.

MrKlorox said on Mar. 26, 2009

Look at the grass blades below and to the right of the hedges on the side of the house. You might need to look hard, but they match the Earthbound grass blades identically as well.

Bobbyjkl said on Mar. 26, 2009

*HYPERVENTILATES*

Anonymous said on Mar. 26, 2009

I hope that roid is a remake of earthbound but if it is not I hope its still a good game.

rayefrenzy said on Mar. 26, 2009

Do I need to remind everyone of mitch’s comic: http://earthboundcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/mitch3.png

(replace VC with this scenario)

it’d be nice. won’t get my hopes up. brb gettin ice cream.

EBM said on Mar. 26, 2009

If this turns out to not be real, I swear…
I’ll go get a sundae.
I hope if it IS a MOTHER game, we’ll be able to play it.
To tell the truth, it certainly DOES look like one. It’s not just the graphical style, either. The sprites look almost identical in shape.
And if I’m not mistaken, and that IS Ness…
He’s not wearing a hat.
At least… that’s what it looks like.
OMIGAWD

Izumi said on Mar. 26, 2009

Mato, the date on the top of the page makes me think it’s for the issue that comes out tomorrow. (That page is not from this week’s issue of Famitsu, or last week’s. ^^;;) I wonder if it got leaked by an insider at the magazine.

Person Man said on Mar. 26, 2009

Don’t get excited folks. ROID is a Japanese content delivery service that’s known for cellphone versions of existing games (If I recall correctly, they were responsible for the Y’s port that came out recently). More than likely, this will be a cellphone version of an existing Mother game, probably 1 or 2 judging from the look of things. If this is the case, it more than likely will have exactly a snowball’s chance on the surface of the sun of being released stateside, not to mention it would be virtually impossible to emulate.

PKNuMan said on Mar. 26, 2009

5-Bit does make Nintendo games y’know.
We might just see another Mother… (omg that rhymed!)

HAK2 said on Mar. 26, 2009

wht if this ends up like the other “mother lookalike”?

Difegue said on Mar. 26, 2009

Wow, this looks pretty neat, however I doubt it’s a mother game, probably just a clone in terms of graphics or whatever

Hejiru said on Mar. 26, 2009

Must not get hopes up.
1. It’s likely either fake/April foll/not Mother
2. IF by some miracle it is legit, it won’t be translated into English.
Must not get hopes up. Must not get hopes up. Dang, too late.

Usul said on Mar. 26, 2009

Every comment that says that this is a Mother game, makes me believe more and more that this is Earthbound Central April fools joke, with someone like Mato behind it. Mato is aware that Nintendo Co-owns Mother yet he denies it here, he suggests the guy in the pic could be Ness, He edited the pic and keeps insisting that it looks like a Mother game… there are a few other things but the most important one is that Mato knows Japanese, and who says he doesn’t know how to use photoshop? Just my thoughts Mato, no hard feelings ;D

Meteorite said on Mar. 26, 2009

I’m not too sure.

Dannykins said on Mar. 26, 2009

I think it is very very real, the same thing happened with an old gbc game called magination. it came out on gbc , then no sequal, then a cellphone game came out of it.

Xi said on Mar. 26, 2009

It’ll be Contact! 2!

Spitball Sparky said on Mar. 26, 2009

Contact 2 would be a good guess, more so than Mother 4.

But the trees! That is such a familiar and specific shape for a tree!

Poe said on Mar. 26, 2009

Usul – why would Mato pull an April Fool’s joke on March 25? That would be stupid.

Raw said on Mar. 26, 2009

It’d seem kinda harsh to pull a prank like this anyway. Kind of an insult to the community.

Usul said on Mar. 26, 2009

Poe – If he puts it on april 1st then there’s no point. To me, Mato is acting like this is indeed a new Mother, it could be two things, that he actually believes is a new Mother game or he’s trying to convince everyone it is.

Of course the most probable thing is that is an unrelated game done in a similar style, at least graphics wise, the thing that bothers me is that most of the people posting forget or ignore that Nintendo also owns the rights to Mother, not Itoi alone. So a Mother game in a system not made by Nintendo it’s impossible.

Mato said on Mar. 26, 2009

Usul: The news hit the Japanese blogosphere first.

And again, we don’t know the technicalities of the agreement between Itoi and Nintendo. It’s possible that the agreement is simply that if Itoi wants to make something Mother-related, Nintendo has the right of first refusal. We don’t know, but if the screenshot is real, then that would make the most sense.

And if you’ve ever seen my art skills, you would know that cave trolls in the dark draw better than I can.

You can also see where I was first made aware of this all here: http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/03/finishing-earthbound-in-one-hour/#4659

ShadowX said on Mar. 26, 2009

I thought the MOTHER series was pretty much done in terms of new games, but a remake is possible. It is hard to not notice the similarities between the two screen shots. I don’t want to cry “MOTHER” just yet… But I will say that this game is at least inspired by the MOTHER series.

iamthewalrus said on Mar. 26, 2009

Whaaaa?!

Zinco said on Mar. 26, 2009

Considering the plot and ending of Mother 3, it’d be weird if a sequel ended up being a lot like Earthbound.

Claus Based Insanity said on Mar. 26, 2009

Seems like an april fools joke

Usul said on Mar. 26, 2009

Mato – Ok the screenshot is real, but it’s not a Mother game. That’s my point. Thing is, at times i felt you were entirely sure it was a new Mother so i got this feeling that this was a joke. So far there’s not enough information to prove that is a Mother game or is not one.

And whatever the case is on the Itoi agreement with Nintendo, i’m 100% sure that Nintendo owns the Mother franchise, Itoi created it, but that’s it, Nintendo developed the series and Mother merchandise is copyrighted as Shigesato Itoi/Nintendo, if it was only Itoi there’s the possibility of this beign a real Mother, but it’s not (For example Adventures of Lolo is owned only by Hal Laboratory, and despite Hal beign a Second Party to Nintendo the copyright is only credited to Hal, and because of that they have released Lolo games on their own for PC) and knowing Itoi this wouldn’t be the best way to announce a new Mother (Mother 3 never was announced this way, instead it slowly was hinted at beign developed). That’s it, inspired by, sure, a new/remake Mother game, i dont think so.

I only wanted to point that it could not be a new Mother, but the fact that everyone keeps saying that it’s a remake or a new game really bothers me. Also i know very well i could be wrong and that i’m sounding very arrogant in my comments but that’s not my intention. Forgive on that.

Mato said on Mar. 26, 2009

If that’s the case, someone gonna get sued good :P And like I said, it’s very possible Nintendo has right of first refusal when it comes to new Mother stuff.

There’s only so much we can get out of one really badly scanned screenshot though, so as unfun as it’s going to be, we’ll probably just have to wait and see how this pans out. This whole thing is very strange and out of the blue.

Usul said on Mar. 26, 2009

Mato, have you tried translating the article?

Mato said on Mar. 26, 2009

I’ve already read it of course, I’ve already mentioned the only things of interest: that surprising, big titles are planned to be released for ROID, lots of new games will be coming out for it, and that the caption says “Could this be THAT RPG?!”

All the rest talks about the fact that the ROID thing starts June 1st for phones at first, with PC stuff to come later.

Zaxtur said on Mar. 26, 2009

Remember Itoi has said that he’s not interested in making a MOTHER 4, but that he would like to see someone else make it? I read that somewhere. That could be what’s happening.

Usul said on Mar. 26, 2009

Well then, i guess we do need a better scan in the end. I seriously want something Mother related but i’m almost sure is not going to be. That’s why i said what i said.
It’s like on Kotaku, they build the hype more than it’s needed and when it doesn’t turn to be what everybody, everybody they hyped that’s it, expected they act like “it’s not our fault, it’s the developers”.

American Mother fans are used to this however…

ozwalled said on Mar. 26, 2009

I was just thinking that it’d be sweet if it was a RPG-Maker type thing with EB-like graphics. :)

OH, a man can dream…

Jimi said on Mar. 26, 2009

Wow. This got a lot of attention. Last I saw there were no comments. Now it’s on fire.

Anyways, I hope for the best for this. Even if it’s not a direct game, or even just inspired by, it looks neat.

Lolmaster said on Mar. 26, 2009

Hopefully at least something EB-related.

DanteAMD said on Mar. 26, 2009

Itoi already said he won’t make another Mother game himself, so maybe there’s a posibility it can be EB-related…

Magikoopa189 said on Mar. 26, 2009

I don’t know why some of these guys question it, but this is DEFINETLY something Mother, the designs are too close. Good job finding this, Mato!

Miles Vialpando (PK ELECTION) said on Mar. 26, 2009

Wow… I don’t know what to say. I’m adding some Google alerts to my email now, and see what comes up… Interesting… I’m very sure it’s not a MOTHER game, but either a nod or a fan making towards the series. I hope Itoi gets to play it! =)

NessNomar said on Mar. 26, 2009

Maybe Roid is a character name?

[...] Famitsu article about the service reveals one shockingly familiar-looking game. There’s no information about [...]

ozwalled said on Mar. 27, 2009

I’m still a bit shocked that even though nothing about this is confirmed, that it hasn’t yet been posted on the main page of starmen.net… What’s up with that?

Usul said on Mar. 27, 2009

Last part of the article.

My thoughts exactly.

Matt said on Mar. 27, 2009

Let’s hope this ends up being a PC game, rather than a cell phone game. That way, there may be some way to emulate it. Oh, and Mato…hope you’re all rested and ready to start translating another Mother game! :}

ZEROGRAVITY-A01! said on Mar. 27, 2009

Just hope that Itoi changed his mind about ‘no mother 4′.

Satsy said on Mar. 27, 2009

I actually wonder… the Mother series had a lot of issues because of things that were altogether too similar to other concepts and IPs as to make all of Nintendo uncomfortable… if this is an actual game, what if this is L5’s answer to legal issues? ;) “So okay, they can’t make it, but if we change juuuust enough, maybe we can circumvent allll those issues!”

To which Nintendo may be thinking “… oh alright, let’s see how this goes.”

[NOTE: The pondering taking place in this post are complete works of fiction and not meant to get anyone's hopes up. It'd be funny, but also an entire legal mess]

emilio said on Mar. 27, 2009

This is the original unblurred screenshot: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/148/148428/

I really don’t know what to think, that guy looks like it belongs somewhere else.

Zyoxi said on Mar. 27, 2009

The unblurred screenshot looks sexy. ;0

Person said on Mar. 27, 2009

I doubt it is real. No plans of MOTHER 4 I think he said.

Mato said on Mar. 27, 2009

No, you don’t have the full story: http://earthboundcentral.com/2008/04/info-on-mother-4/

Raw said on Mar. 27, 2009

Guys, after examining the new picture, I’m gonna go ahead and call it: this thing is fake. Certain spriting choices make it apparent that this isn’t real:

-note particualarily the grass as it connects to the path, in no ways does the pattern repeat, therefore it’s not a tileset. I for one don’t expect the creators of a new Mother game to hand sprite every
path.
-In general the grass and path outlines look like they’ve been scribbled in with paint.
-the transition from path to road is noticeable awkward.
-the coloring of the character’s pants is noticeably awkward.
-undefined anti-aliased brown lumps in the grass.

In general, despite having more colors, it seems the spriting is worse than mother 3’s. The transitions between different objects is quite bad, and the lack of an apparent tileset is the nail in the coffin.

This looks like a fan game mock-up.

Claus said on Mar. 27, 2009

Looks a lot like a MOTHER game. His face looks exactly like Lucas’s.

Matt said on Mar. 28, 2009

Raw, quit ruining my life.

[...] [Vía EarthBound Central] [...]

GoldenEevee said on Apr. 2, 2009

I made a youtube video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KG44ZhNQIo

SuperNess1000(Chris) said on Apr. 6, 2009

If this is a Mother Game than Itoi didnt make it… sorry to say it but i think he might have given up on a MOTHER 4. But i heard rumors about Brownie Brown(company that helped make M3) was working on remaking M3 for the DS in america. Even thought i dought that they really are, they could be responcible for this screenshot…
We’ll have to wait and see…

rawpower said on Apr. 11, 2009

I does look ridiculously a lot like Ness.

hero said on Apr. 12, 2009

yes so cool

Stephen said on Apr. 14, 2009

I was skeptical at first, but after watching GoldenEevee’s video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KG44ZhNQIo ) this looks very interesting.

Theres nothing wrong with wishful thinking is there?

jen said on Apr. 19, 2009

Look, The pictures of the kid are the same, but this game looks like it’s in 3D.

Whats up with this stuff?

Maybe its the same game, (I think this 3dish version is for DS) but the ROID version or whatever is 2D in a style that just so happens to look an insane amount like earthbound??

I really don’t know. Just wanted to share what I found.

Mr. Crosser said on Aug. 5, 2009

It could be… But even if it was a MOTHER game, I doubt Itoi would be a part of it.

Alek said on Sep. 13, 2009

its not a game. its a game providing sevice. not a game. so stop thinking its an earthbound game.

A Name? ummmmmmmmmmmmm lemme think......howbout: said on Jan. 13, 2010

It looks an awfully lot like earthbound, but maybe the maker of this game played earthbound while he was young?

SHYKOOPA said on Feb. 4, 2010

Hey Mato, did you know what happened with this game after all?

Sammy said on Aug. 13, 2010

1.sprites look the same but better.
2.Could it be that ROID is tryn to make a copy of earthBound But better?
3.It can be ness when bigger(Mabey)
4.What it is copy of EarthBound?Well since its coming too PC if it is earthbound we have it made.
5.If this is EarthBound and it works out it will make alot of games.
6.Matos right it could be EarthBound.
7.This Might Be Mother 4 as we know it.

Zoom! said on Sep. 22, 2011

I saw some screenshots for the London Life RPG mode for the next Professor Layton, and it kinda looked like MOTHER 3.

PsiReaper said on Apr. 11, 2012

From the looks of it…it looks ALMOST like one of pictures from the Mother 4 fangame that Azure is making…interesting.

Clockwork64 said on May. 3, 2012