February 20th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

You know in EarthBound, when you’re Jeff and you leave the Rainy Circle cave for the first time? Bubble Monkey leaves you and chases a girl monkey off-screen, on a cliff above the cave, in an area you can’t get to.

Way back when the game was still new, I always wished there was a way to get up there and see what else there was. And for the past 14 or so years, every time I played the game, I always had the same thought whenever I got to that part of the game.

Then, the other day, I finally found it on YouTube: a way to get up there!

I’m not sure if there’s any way to get back down, but at long last, an admittedly stupid childhood dream of mine is reality 😀

POLL: Which place do you like better? Winters or Summers?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

23 Comments to Winters Secret Exploration

cj said on Feb. 20, 2009

I wonder if you can get to other places like that? But if they’re points of no return I would make an extra save file to make sure you’re not stuck there.

FOREVER.

Nathan said on Feb. 20, 2009

There are probably a lot of secrets up there…

Darien said on Feb. 20, 2009

When I was a kid, I was way into stuff like this. I always wondered what was in those places you can’t get to.

Which I suppose is pretty common among kids, I didn’t fully grasp the fact that there isn’t anything out there; that the designers didn’t place any content where players can’t get to it. I do like how there’s a spot up on that ledge where a lake just stops and some trees start, though. 😀

YumeMaxx said on Feb. 20, 2009

That’s interesting. I always remember wondering, in games like EarthBound and Pokemon, what laid beyond those un-passable fences.

I think it’s solely the fact that you can’t pass them that make what lies beyond so interesting.

Bowser said on Feb. 20, 2009

I’ve always wanted to go to the inaccessible part of Summers/Toto. It looks like it’s a much bigger town 🙂

KissofCamine said on Feb. 20, 2009

Ahhh I love silly things like this. It’s interesting to know, even if there’s nothing to be found there. 😀

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Feb. 20, 2009

I never really wondered what was over there. My childlike sense of wonder and adventure must be dead.

Wil said on Feb. 20, 2009

It’s funny that they made it so you can walk around even in inaccessible areas of the game.

Spitball Sparky said on Feb. 20, 2009

I was always more curious about the West Cave…I was crushed when I found out there was nothing over there.

Mikhail said on Feb. 20, 2009

Yeah, I also wondered what was beyond places you can’t get too… These videos are very cool.

rayefrenzy said on Feb. 20, 2009

I was also curious.

this isn’t as exciting as i had hoped ;-;

Aqy said on Feb. 20, 2009

Well that’s a nice stroll anyhow, with the trees and the various sights. Very cool.

Aurilliux said on Feb. 20, 2009

Dude, that was something I always wanted to do when I was younger, I always thought you could find like some secret town or something if you went out far enough past the secret wall or something.

MotherFTW said on Feb. 20, 2009

I used always think about this stuff in games.

Cafechan said on Feb. 20, 2009

I don’t remember if I ever wondered about this stuff as a child. But if I ever made a video game, I think it’d be fun to make an area off-limits that actually has something secret there that can only be accessed through glitches/hacking like this… not that it’s a good idea to encourage hacking, but… hehe.

This reminds me of when I got a cheat code that allowed you to “jump” in the original Animal Crossing. I could run around in the ocean and rivers, and get to the island without a GameBoy… and actually fly up into the sky, get on neighbors’ houses, and climb on the cliffs that surround the village. xD It was pretty fun.

Anyway, that area where the trees and everything disappeared was interesting. xD

TheReaper09 said on Feb. 20, 2009

The far left side of the map all you see is blue lol.

Stuffgamer1 said on Feb. 20, 2009

Couldn’t you just use PSI Teleport Beta to get out? It looked like there was an area big enough…

That sure is a weird video, though. I don’t find it odd that it’s possible to walk there, because reprogramming the scenery to be impossible to walk in when there’s already a barrier would be a total waste (try it in RPG Maker, and see how much memory you lose for no good reason)!

Anonymous said on Aug. 16, 2009

That was something I wanted to do ever since the first time I played EarthBound. Too bad it’s not as interesting as I thought it’d be.

And as for the Winters/Summers poll…I find it hard to choose. There is more to do in Summers, but I love the Winters music so much more (especially when you’re in the boarding house). Music aside though, I guess I’d have to go with Summers.

Gurp said on Aug. 29, 2009

Summers, at least the weather is pleasant there. Winters adds insult to injury by adding rabid goats, cavemen, mutated mushrooms, and ALIENS.

PK Saturn said on Jul. 6, 2010

In Spyro 2: Rypto’s Rage for the PlayStation there was this awesome glitch that you could do anywhere that let you jump twice as high as usual. You could get pretty much anywhere you wanted with that glitch. It was awesome 🙂

Staarf said on Jul. 7, 2010

Well, I think that Winters is clearly the cooler place. *ba-dum-CHAH*

JAMESGHOST said on May. 24, 2011

its like being able to run around in hyrule feild in wind waker due to a glitch, but in the end its all fake…

Kraken of the sea said on Dec. 26, 2012

I more like Summers. as you see, i’m allergic to coldness