February 13th, 2009 | EarthBound, Images, Itoi

How are Mr. Saturn, cologne, and Obama all connected? Who knows.

On Shigesato Itoi’s site, there’s a section that’s updated several times a day with stuff that’s happening in the office. It’s neat, and you can keep track of it here.

Being that this is Itoi’s company office, it’s of course got Mr. Saturns everywhere, but yesterday PoeTrader noticed this recent pic:

I don’t know what it is, and the text next to it is completely unrelated (Itoi was playing Obama’s inauguration speech through those speakers for work inspiration), but it appears to me like there’s a strange Mr. Saturn thing next to some cologne, or possibly alcohol. I don’t even recognize where that Mr. Saturn is from, is it official merchandise? If so, I’ve never seen this kind before. And I wonder why it’s there.

I don’t think too much should be read into the pic (I don’t think it signifies anything, for the record), but I wonder what it is and why it’s there. The pic was taken during a session of “shut ourselves in this room for a long while so we can get a ton of work done” at his office.

UPDATE: It appears it’s probably one of the super-rare MOTHER 1+2 keychains given out at the MOTHER 1+2 release party. Why it’s suddenly showing up now like this, who knows 😛 Thanks to Pigmask Private for the tip 😀

22 Comments to What Are You Doing, Mr. Saturn?

MotherFTW said on Feb. 13, 2009

Intresting…

Alxprit said on Feb. 13, 2009

He’s looking sharp and smelling beautiful. Honestly, though, it looks as if he’s advertising something…

Dr Shlub said on Feb. 13, 2009

Text was quite funny
The Mr Saturn is odd
Quite a mystery

~ Random haiku by Dr Shlub

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Feb. 13, 2009

Mr. Saturn, when will you learn that you can’t drink away your troubles?

Spyden said on Feb. 13, 2009

You can see what looks like a straw in that bottle. I’d say that it is a sort of perfume or cologne.

Maybe the scent was so strong that it made Mr. Saturn look a little…dreary.

Sonicandtails said on Feb. 13, 2009

Clearly it’s there to let you all know that they are hard at work on “Mr. Saturn: Can I Really Be the Hero, Boing!?”.

Pigmask Private said on Feb. 13, 2009

I believe that the mr. saturn pictured here is in the merchandise section of Starmen.net. It’s called the mr. saturn keychain and was apparently given away at some release party.

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2009

Yep, it definitely looks like it. I updated the post with links and info. Thanks 😀

JB2448 said on Feb. 13, 2009

Mr. Saturn has a new cologne line coming out called “Dakota Cologne”? One can dream :(.

B oE AN said on Feb. 13, 2009

it certainly isn’t alcohol, there’s a little straw in it to draw the cologne into the spray nozzle. unless itoi likes to be sneaky about his drinking habits.

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2009

Heh, no, he’s quite the opposite – he did a lot of commercials for Pocari Sweat, always playing a guy who drank too much the night before 😛

Anonymous said on Feb. 13, 2009

Glad I could help with figuring out what the mr. saturn was.

Pigmask Private said on Feb. 13, 2009

that anonymous was me, sorry.

from the offiice of Shigesato Itoi said on Feb. 13, 2009

Coming soon: Itoi meets Obama, and gives him the Mr Saturn.

Obama reveals he was a huge fan of the MOTHER series ever since he was a kid, living in Sub-Saharan Africa with his family, where the only games they got were bootlegged Japanese rpgs. Seriously. I am not joking,

Zibraltar said on Feb. 13, 2009

Does Itoi understand English, or was he listening to a translated speech?

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2009

Although they don’t understand most of it, his speeches, especially his inauguration speech, are popular in Japan because of the way he talks, what he talks about, and the words he uses. He uses a lot of individual words that they DO understand, so it really hits home for them. The #1 selling book in Japan at the moment is a book with the inauguration speech in English on one page and Japanese on the other, as a way to help learn English. The #2 selling book is a follow-up book with more of his speeches 😛

So it’s not surprising that Itoi feels energized the same way others there do. It’s an interesting phenonemon.

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 14, 2009

I wish I could go to work one day, do crazy shit like that and claim it will help me think, ‘cept I’m a nurse and then someone would die and I’d get sued (and feel pretty damn horrible, to boot).

🙂

Leirin said on Feb. 14, 2009

That’s magically mystical. At first glance, after reading the first line of text in this post, I was like, “WTH OBAMA IS A CLOSET EARTHBOUND FAN AND DRINKS?!” buuuut then I read on and I’m like, “Oh, okay.”

Cool find!

Anonymous said on Mar. 8, 2010

are these the same as the newer ones?

Ness said on Jun. 4, 2010

Maybe Itoi was trying to make fun of Obama by having the Mr Saturn Saying the speech. But for the cologne.. i’m at a lose.

Matteomax said on Mar. 31, 2011

That Mr.saturn is from the official Mother 1+2 artbook, it was vaccum sealed inside the book.

Matteomax said on Dec. 30, 2012