Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
February 22nd, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Six weeks since EarthBound Central first opened, and it’s going stronger than ever. I thought that the number of visitors would quickly reach a plateau and that updates would only come at the rate of one a day. I was way off on both counts. Let’s see how far this thing will continue to grow 😀
This past week was insane. Just insane. Everyone be talkin’ about EarthBound this week. Even the Japanese blogosphere’s caught whiff of the “EarthBound on Virtual Console unlikely” story. That was interesting.
Anyway, let’s look at what happened this week!
- I blew people’s minds with a trippy hippie image
- Mitch offered his commentary on the EB on VC situation as it relates to fans
- You encountered the Seven Secretaries of EarthBound!
- EarthBound plushies everywhere!
- Have you ever had a Giygas sighting in real life?
- EarthBound is very unlikely to be released on the Wii Virtual Console
- I did a bunch of research to try to clarify the Virtual Console situation
- I noticed a run on EarthBound carts on eBay after the Virtual Console news
- We looked at a 1989 flier advertisement for MOTHER 1
- I posted a video showing that MOTHER/EB music is in the GameBoy Camera game
- EarthBound music is used in Japanese baseball
- A way to access hidden parts of Winters is demonstrated
- I posted a video showing a music-related trick in Scaraba
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
Here’s just a few things out there right now. Don’t forget you can always check the latest listings in one easy spot here if you’re looking for deals on something! I recently updated it so that it’ll find more stuff than it did before 😀
- MOTHER 3+ Soundtrack CD w/ free shipping!
- A rare MOTHER 2 strategy guide for $14.95
- Another rare MOTHER2 guide for $19.50
- EarthBound + Box + Guide for $169.99
- Cool-looking MOTHER 3 doujinshi manga
- MOTHER 3 Mr. Saturn plushie
- MOTHER 2 cart for $8.99
- MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box
- Some Mr. Saturn T-shirt someone made
Here’s some cool stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
- MOTHER 2 Choose-Your-Own Adventure Book – this book is huge
- MOTHER 2 cart – isn’t it aggravating that you can buy this for $10 in Japan but EarthBound costs so much here?
- Weekly Famitsu magazine with MOTHER 3 stuff in it
- Official MOTHER 3 T-Shirt
And again, here are a few things on Amazon. I still need to really update this list someday though:
- A personal review of MOTHER 3
- Fans take a look at “EBnomics”
- Fans post their thoughts after finishing MOTHER 3
- TheSpeedGamers are planning another EarthBound marathon, ask for ideas
- Suggestions for an update to Bound Together?
- Tree From My Youth updated – this is a MOTHER 3 Fobbies Are Borange
- Sexy Grandpa Porky updated
- Birdy and Chimera updated
- Fan Art Interpetation: Queen Mary – this is such a neat idea
- Ninten Speaks update
- Save Mr. Saturn fangame has a demo – looks simple and fun!
I honestly can’t keep up with every single thing that happens in the EarthBound community, so if you’ve done something cool or if you know of something cool that belongs here, let me know!
What’s Up With Itoi
I can’t tell how much people like this Itoi section, so I’m going to try a different format today. Itoi did say a bunch of interesting things this week, and I saved them for possible future updates, but nothing really related to anything here. Anyway, instead, I’m going to post a few neat/funny pics from this past week. Incidentally, Itoi’s office is closed for a week – he and his 40+ employees are all going to Guam for a company vacation. He’s gotta be loaded to be able to afford that 😯 Anyway…
(btw: listen to this while looking at the first pic 😛 )
This next week I’m going to be especially busy with real-life work, so updates might only be once a day sometimes. I think we’ll take a look at some interesting food-related stuff this week, and if I can find the time, we might take a look at some beta stuff from MOTHER 2 / EarthBound that got changed or removed. And then we’ll have the usual interesting stuff that always seems to happen. I used to worry that I’d run out of update material after about two weeks, but 6 weeks in and things are still going strong. The worry is still there, but I think we’ll manage somehow. If you have any ideas for updates though, let me know anytime!
I’m going to try to plan for one big article a month, one that’s full of research and useful info. Sometimes these might also take the form of big interview translations. I consider that article I wrote the other day about EarthBound’s possible legal problems to be February’s big article. I’m also contemplating do a series of short videos for EB Central. I haven’t thought about it in too much detail yet, but I think it could be really interesting. And in some cases my big monthly articles might be in video form. We shall see what we shall see.
Other Related Posts:
19 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #6
- Mother2fan: I can’t even fathom why they would make such a minute change to that battle background.
- DJMankiewicz: Very interesting. I had suspected that Earthbound’s “dulled” battle effects were done in emulator rather than as a...
- Chivi-chivik: I think that the lightning change in the ‘PK Flash get’ animation was put so you can see better how the lightning strikes...
- joe411: Perhaps some changes were made since the Wii U’s GBA emukator adds a darker color filter?
- Mato: DIO: We checked those too, Mother 2 has so many versions that I dunno what to call the Wii U version, but it and the New 3DS ones are the...