M2 vs. EarthBound Mega Update
February 15th, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Another week, another round-up!
This week was a lot busier than I expected – I was going to post some stuff early on in the week but cooler stuff kept happening everyday so I had to shift everything around constantly. It’s crazy that there’s this much going on in the world of EarthBound 😛
Okay, here’s what happened this past week!
- I posted about EB Central on Starmen.Net, many people are discovering the site, hurray
- I updated the merchandise finder, it now finds some more EarthBound stuff on eBay 😀
- I added a new feature: if you’re bored, visit http://earthboundcentral.com/bored!
- I put up a message board for EB Central site talk
- People really reacted to this crappy review of EarthBound 😛
- Info about the MOTHER 3 release chat with Itoi was posted
- The best cosplay ever
- The most unexpected cosplay ever
- Some EarthBound music connections were examined
- Mitch spreads the love with EarthBound Valentines!
- A quick peek at Ninten Speaks
- This Runaway Five documentary is awesome
- New wacky banner ads added: (see here if you want to make some of your own)
- Happy Video Game Nerd did a thorough review/mini-documentary about EarthBound!
- We took a look at the Nintendo Power EarthBound retrospective
- We looked at a magazine article about the MOTHER 3 translation
- HUGE parts of EarthBound are skippable! – this is insanely awesome
- An update on the MOTHER 1+2 translation
- A 4 hour 13 minute EarthBound segmented speedrun!
- Obama, a super-rare Mr. Saturn, and cologne? – noooo idea
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
Here’s just a few things out there right now. Don’t forget you can always check the latest listings in one easy spot here if you’re looking for deals on something!
- MOTHER 1+2 Art Book w/ Mr. Saturn plush – super rare!
- EarthBound and 13 other top-quality SNES games! – oooh…
- New MOTHER 1+2 and MOTHER 3 – how convenient!
- MOTHER 2 complete + rare MOTHER 2 guide + free shipping! – nice deal
- MOTHER 3+ soundtrack CD, new – nice collector’s item 🙂
- Rare MOTHER 2 guide – I saw this show up just this week
- Rare MOTHER 3 guide – this was the first to hit store shelves
- Old Nintendo Power magazine with EarthBound stuff in it – pretty cheap price
- MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box, new
- EarthBound Box – no game or guide, just the box…
- Complete set of MOTHER 1+2 keychains – ultra hard to get now 😯
Here’s some neat stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
- That rare MOTHER 2 store flier is still there 😛
- MOTHER 1 and MOTHER 2 novels in one auction
- MOTHER 3 Mr. Saturns are so much cheaper in Japan – if only shipping wasn’t crazy
And here are a few things on Amazon.com:
It’s getting really hard for me to keep up with all this stuff, so if you or someone you know has done something cool in the EarthBound community recently, let me know or else I might accidentally miss it.
- MOTHER 3 Malay translation thing
- A review of MOTHER 3 – with spoiler post bonus!
- Kenisu has translated some interesting stuff about EB0 Magicant
- People give their thoughts when they finish MOTHER 3
- An Extra with Nothing to Say – much stuff here
- Like a bajillion more EarthBound fonts have been made!
- New thing called Scalding Coffee – I scalded myself the other day…
- The Chosen Four comic has reached Saturn Valley! – I love this
- People be making more wacky EB ads for EB Central
- Sexy Grandpa Porky is walking about again!
- Ninten Speaks and other stuff
- Birdy & Chimera updated, hurray!
- Tree From My Youth – Ninten vs. Lucas vs. Grandpa
- chuggaaconroy’s MOTHER 3 Let’s Play will be finishing up soon
What’s Up With Itoi
- There was this.
- Itoi talked about how getting goosebumps or almost shedding tears is a sign of being touched by something, and it’s like Japanese TV is always trying to aim for that, as if those things are the only truth. He thinks this is silly, but he wonders if people would watch TV if shows weren’t always filled with touching emotions and joyous glee and were more true-to-life. Probably not, because people probably watch TV to escape everyday life. But he says he never tries to do this excessive stuff with the work his company does, yet the company has been around 10 years and is quite successful without resorting to that tactic.
- Itoi has a new book coming out, which is a bunch of his front page posts from the last year all in one thing (he doesn’t keep an online archive of them). He looked over the book earlier this week and was amazed at the amount of words he produced, especially since he’s not a novelist or columnist or anything like that. Add in all the words he uses for other things he does, like interviews with other people and his daily blog stuff, and he produces a ton of words. He found this interesting.
- Itoi mentioned that he went and got some food at a Subway, then went and saw that Curious Case of Benjamin Button movie. He felt it was okay-ish and talked about other movie stuff.
- The other day he talked at length with a 25 year old. Afterward, he realized that when he talks with people, age doesn’t factor in at all for him – he talks to people a lot younger and people a lot older without any reservations at all. This might sound strange, but for someone who does as much talking as he does, it’s probably a pretty significant realization.
- Itoi talked about how repeating things isn’t boring to him. He first realized this at around 45 years old, but REALLY realized it after he turned 50. This and another post about Valentine’s Day were pretty interesting so I might fully translate them some other time.
reid might have something to say soon over at starmen.net, maybe as soon as tonight, I might touch on some of what he says later this week. We’ll probably also take a look at some old MOTHER 1 advertising, a MOTHER 1 music cameo in a GameBoy game, and a rather interesting, unexpected, and extremely unknown EarthBound musical cameo in something strange. We’ll probably have that and a whole lot more this week, so check back often 😀
argablarg that’ll teach me to try to fit real life work + a weekly round-up into one weekend. I was really amazed at how much cool stuff there was this past week. Here’s hoping this next week will be equally as awesome!
Other Related Posts:
9 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #5
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.