Double Fine’s MOTHER / EarthBound Retrospective
Popular Posts:None found
February 1st, 2009 | Weekly Round-Up
Wow, another week already! And what’s surprising is that there’s still all kinds of stuff going on out there that’s EarthBound/MOTHER-related. All kinds of stuff happened this week 😯
I should make a quick note that if you come across something cool that’s EarthBound-related or MOTHER-related, anything at all, feel free to let me know here! Even if it’s something that would seem insignificant, because as we’ve learned, insignificant items can bring you great things, like magic truffles. So whether it’s news, people talking about EB on some other site, some cool video you just found, or somebody’s doing something cool on the forums, let me know so I can spread the word here 😀
- I added a special page that lists only the MOTHER 1+2 translation-related upates. That way people can more easily see what’s going on with that project.
- Incidentally, I haven’t done any work on the M1+2 project this past week. I’ll post updates whenever significant progress is made. Since a recent poll showed that the translation is the most wanted stuff here at EB Central, I’ll focus a little more on that.
- The offer for custom avatars is over. I also modified the random avatar algorithm. If you missed the custom avatar offer but still would like something better than that boring question mark avatar, you just need to register for an account here and it’ll assign you a random avatar from the MOTHER/EB games.
- You might’ve noticed that the site’s design has changed slightly. I actually have the site pre-programmed to switch design themes each month, to add a tiny bit of variety to the place. This month is Pink Cloud, because it’s the closest I could think of that fit the whole February/Valentines Day thing.
- A few more banner ads were put up. If you want to help make some, see here!
- New GIANT Mr. Saturn plushies are being made! – here’s how big!
- A more accurate EarthBound TrueType font was made!
Cool Auctions & Merchandise
Here’s just a few things out there right now. Don’t forget you can always check the latest listings in one easy spot here if you’re looking for deals on something!
- Mr. Saturn strap + MOTHER 3 Franklin Badge! – Both are very rare!
- MOTHER 3 Mr. Saturn plushie!
- EarthBound, complete with guide, box, etc.!
- Mach Pizza Air Freshener! – very rare, but you gotta be crazy rich to afford this 😯
- Complete set of MOTHER 1+2 keychains – really rare!
- MOTHER 2 cart for Super Famicom, only $8.00!
- Nicely prices MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box Set – with free shipping!
- Some Japanese doujin CD that I’ve never seen or heard of
- Kickass MOTHER 2 strategy guide! – really rare 😯
Here’s some stuff on Yahoo! Auctions Japan:
I also started putting together a list of stuff you can get on Amazon.com here:
I might be missing some stuff, so if you find anything else that’s related that might be good on that list that’s on Amazon, lemme know and I’ll add it.
- Another Cruise Elroy look at MOTHER 3’s music! – This time, he looks at similarities between the game’s music and real-life music
- EarthBound license plates! Fight!
- We took a look at a Japanese MOTHER convention/fan event
- The Chosen Four was updated again with lots more stuff – so good
- Birdy & Chimera updated – as kickass as ever
- Ninten Speaks updated
- Sexy Grandpa Porky is progressing nicely – though the battles do seem to take a while 😛
- People be making wacky EB ads for our site, yay!
- EarthBound, a Profession of Love – Saw this the other day. I really like these kinds of simple, unadultered things when I see them on other sites and blogs.
- Ness & Jeff Save Christmas – I’m not sure what danger Christmas was in though
What’s Up With Itoi
- Itoi talked about how the new determination to do new things ends somewhere around the 25th of the January. He encourages people not to give in to this and to keep trying hard.
- He talks about how he’s a kind of “bad guy” in Animal Crossing, and how it’s the kind of game he had always wanted to make.
- Itoi and all 44 of his employees will be going on a trip to Bali at the end of February for a week. It’s partly to do research on tourism stuff and will connect with other stuff about tourism in Japan. But it’s also partly to get away and have fun. 44 people for a whole week has gotta cost a ton of money, but that’s just how successful he is with his endeavors.
- In the last six months he hasn’t been obsessed with watching calories as he used to be. He talks about hunger and the desire to eat. He also talks about how his past self could never have imagined how he is now, and he wonders how his future self would seem to his present self.
- Itoi met with the Animal Crossing development team. He’s a huge, huge fan of the game, so he was overexcited. Iwata and Miyamoto also visited, and they talked non-stop for a very long time. He enjoyed it very much and was sad that they had to end the meeting eventually.
What’s most interesting about this is that I wonder if the topic of MOTHER ever came up, or possibly the topic of our PK Siege Japan stuff came up, since we had sent big packages to all three of those people, and we know for sure that at least Itoi got his package.
- Itoi thinks that people who can say “I don’t know” are cool. He says that for most people, admitting that seems to be a bad thing, but he disagrees and says that he’s gotten better at admitting it these past 10 years. He thinks that being able to openly admit you don’t know something is a very good thing.
I’ll probably have an update of some sort about the MOTHER 1+2 translation project this week. I have some other stuff on the site I want to finish and implement finally too, so updates might be a little wonky while I test some stuff out. I’m thinking we might have some simple EB Central merchandise at some point too, like maybe some stuff relating to inside jokes from the MOTHER 3 translation blog or something. We’ll see.
I’m thinking I might make it so that the Let’s Chat thing and the Music Talk thing alternate between each day, since it’s going to be mighty hard to come up with 365 topics to talk about, and then what happens when the site lasts longer than a year? So I might do that sometime later this week. I really enjoy seeing what everyone has to say about these topics and also what people feel about all the different individual songs in the games. It’s neat.
Wow, not as tough as last week was. I think these round-ups can still be better somehow though. I’ll continue to experiment with stuff.
Well, see you around! May the Smilin’ Sphere be with you!
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to Weekly Round-Up #3
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.