February 11th, 2009 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

The TAS community is incredible at finding glitches in games to get really fast speedruns of games, including EarthBound. I knew there were little shortcuts here and there to get through EarthBound faster, but thanks to a post Floogal made on the Starmen.Net forums, I just found out that there’s a way to skip Twoson, Peaceful Rest Valley, Happy Happy Village, Belch’s factory, and Saturn Valley. It’s pretty crazy and involves very exact timing, but here it is in action:

The way Ness moves through barriers is basically the same thing as this. But because these are TAS videos, they’re done with per-frame accuracy. Getting it to happen on an actual game/ROM takes more patience, but I assume that with enough practice you could do this major skippage trick on a real game without any extra help. Time to drink eggs and play Eye of the Bear Tiger!

26 Comments to Skipping Huge Parts of EarthBound

Dan said on Feb. 11, 2009

Beartiger? What an odd typo.

OR IS IT???

Poe said on Feb. 11, 2009

That’s some pretty crazy stuff!

Darien said on Feb. 11, 2009

Why don’t the ghosts get them in the tunnel back to Twoson? That part wasn’t at all clear to me.

AbstractedThought said on Feb. 11, 2009

I was wondering the exact same thing. Could it have something to do with the party’s vertical position?

ropesnake said on Feb. 12, 2009

So they’re probably waiting for teleporting to do the sanctuaries then…? Unless there’s another glitch to just get to Giygas!

Darien said on Feb. 12, 2009

It’s possible that the game doesn’t actually check to make sure you have all the melodies; If I recall, it’s impossible under ordinary circumstances to get to the eigth sanctuary without having done the previous seven, so if you do so, it may just assume that you have all eight melodies and send you straight to Magicant whether you have or not.

Much like how Ness wakes up in the graveyard with Paula in the party in the above video.

Difegue said on Feb. 12, 2009

I smiled at Paula’s magical appearance

Izumi said on Feb. 12, 2009

Darien, you can in fact get to the eighth sanctuary without doing, for example, Pink Cloud. (I always leave Pink Cloud for last actually.) When you get a sanctuary after skipping one, it’ll just blank out that part of the melody…so I do believe it does check for them all after you complete each one.

Poe said on Feb. 12, 2009

Yeah I did the sanctuaries out of order the first time I played, so nothing happened when I was in Fire Spring and I had to go all around the world searching for 3 more sanctuaries that I had missed somehow.

LuigiFan said on Feb. 12, 2009

An easy way to skip past large portions of the game is by going through a wall in a certain part of the Stonehenge Base. I’ve only tried this once so I don’t remember exactly, but near the end of the maze there’s a wall that if you keep pushing down into, you’ll eventually walk through, and you can go right on to Giygas and stuff if you want.

Simon Roberts said on Feb. 12, 2009

rofl, the incredible disappearing Paula 😀

I thought this was going to showcase the stairway trick in the underground path — I was all set to say, “called it!” Ah well, maybe next time.

Floogal’s thread is over here if anyone would like to read it. Still doesn’t explain the exact mechanics of the glitch, tho.

Perosn said on Feb. 12, 2009

The best part of the video is that it reminded me I haven’t play any Mother games since Mother 3 patch was completed.

Nightshade said on Feb. 12, 2009

Wait… when Ness goes in the left tunnel, he ends up in Threed. If he goes right, he ends up in Dusty Dunes Desert.

…but this is the Twoson map…

….OMG! THREED IS UNDERGROUND! :O

TheReaper09 said on Feb. 12, 2009

I have a feeling that more glitches will be found soon,hell I remember some that found back in the day.

Darien said on Feb. 12, 2009

Izumi/Poe: Ah, my mistake, then. Sorry!

Silver Streak said on Feb. 13, 2009

I remember when we first started really exploring the walk through walls glitch a while back. I believe Curry said somethingabout getting to the upper part of Saturn Valley by spinning the controller, which I tried and recorded a video of (which is the other video Tomato links to above). If you don’t want to skip as much, there’s also a place in Peaceful Rest Valley that lets you talk with Paula before going into Happy Happy.

Stuffgamer1 said on Feb. 23, 2009

I don’t really understand the drive to seek out glitches in a game. Can’t we all just enjoy Earthbound as it was meant to be enjoyed?

StuffItGamer said on Feb. 24, 2009

Not anymore. Not when you’ve done 40+ playthroughs you look for spice.

Heero0m said on Feb. 26, 2009

You know, this poses a question. With the way they skipped in this they managed to get Paula into their party, but what if you went back and did the Happy Happy part of the game after this? I wonder how the game reacts.

Rafa said on Feb. 26, 2009

my sister found this trick months ago, Ifeel so noob

DanteAMD said on Apr. 4, 2009

Eye of the Kumatora? Well, almost.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! said on Apr. 7, 2009

NESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESS Stop c….h…e..a….t..i…n..g! Ness Suffered 678 damage for cheating. Ness Collapsed and lost the battle! That’s What YOU Get for cheating!

DanteAMD said on Apr. 7, 2009

I still think about ee of the Kumatora.

A sucker for HP said on May. 16, 2009

As a reply:

I imagine the ghosts take you back to Threed because you walk in the right side of the tunnel, and the teleport is likely set to return Ness to where he entered, thus resolving in him landing in Threed.

Alternately, It could be because if you attempt to go to the fourside tunnel (which he entered) the ghosts return you to Threed instead of Twoson.

spartan 117 said on Oct. 21, 2010

just….just… how

SSBMaster11 said on Dec. 27, 2011

So, going to Threed is only necessary to get Paula and Jeff? Couldn’t you, the first time, go straight to Dusty Dunes, skipping getting Paula and Jeff? Or would not having Paula glitch up the Fourside mall?