February 7th, 2009 | Itoi, Videos

Itoi was on a show recently (he’s always being asked to be on shows actually) and the topic of discussion for this show was adulthood and how in Japan you’re instantly an adult the moment you turn 20. A picture of Itoi from around then is shown, and then he talks about his experience as he moved into adulthood.

The video is entirely in Japanese, but basically he said that he had dropped out of school around 18 or 19 and he looked for work that would best suit him and that wouldn’t require that strong of an educational background. Out of all the things he looked at, designing hats seemed to be the best choice for him. Good thing he didn’t follow that line of work 😛 I bet they would’ve been pretty cool hats, though.

In his 20s, he was very confused and daunted because he didn’t know where to go with his life, he couldn’t decide what to do. He likened it to crawling around in the dark. Man, I know how that feels. It’s tough finding what you really, truly want to do in life.

Anyway, I just thought I’d mention this here on EB Central, even though it’s not 100% EarthBound-related 😛

13 Comments to Shigesato Itoi at 20

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 7, 2009

I’m gonna hit 30 in a few years and I can totally relate to feeling that way in my early 20’s.

Darien said on Feb. 7, 2009

Yeah, I’m nearly 30 myself, and I’ve now progressed from “can’t figure out what I want to do with my life” to “can’t figure out how to do it.” 😉

ZombiePaul said on Feb. 7, 2009

Heh heh, yeah. I only got that part a year or so ago. It’ll come 🙂

Sega Saturn Dumpster said on Feb. 7, 2009

Ahh, this all seems so interesting! How did he get where he is now?

Poe said on Feb. 7, 2009

Damn, he looks like Lupin III with that hair. 😯

mitch said on Feb. 7, 2009

Huh. It’s nice to know that someone as successful as Itoi didn’t know what the hell to do in his 20s as well. Gives a 20-something like me a modicum of hope for my own life. 😛

Skulryk said on Feb. 7, 2009

This is only tangentially related, but I thought it might be something worth looking into. I heard a while back that Shigesato Itoi worked with the Japanese surrealist author Haruki Murakami on a collection of short stories. (Acutally, I just checked wikipedia, and it was called Yume de aimashou (“Let’s meet in a dream”).

The reason I bring this up is because I heard that the magazine article you read in the house you buy in Earthbound (‘this baby is a demon child!’) is from one of the short stories. Tomato, are you familiar with that book at all and would you be able to confirm?

I’ve read a book of Haruki Murakami’s short stories and they definitely have a weird vibe to them that reminds me of the Mother series, so I can definitely see the two collaborating.

Mato said on Feb. 7, 2009

Yeah, I have the book and it’s not in there. I dunno where that weird rumor originated but I picked up the book last year to check it out for myself. The rumor is false. Still an interesting book though.

W. said on Feb. 7, 2009

Are you still doing that big writeup on Itoi?

Mato said on Feb. 7, 2009

Yeah, I plan on it, it’s gotten pushed back for a few things, like fixing things on EBC, but I still plan to do a really big article about him.

johni said on Feb. 7, 2009

thanks a lot mato!

Keiji Dragon said on Mar. 4, 2009

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

🙁