February 10th, 2009 | Events, Itoi, MOTHER 3, MOTHER 4, Videos

Back in 2006, on like the night before MOTHER 3 was released in Japan, Itoi held a live webcast on his site that was to be a discussion between him, Hikaru Ijuin (does lots of game magazine stuff), and a surprise guest.

The discussion was, naturally, to be about MOTHER 3 and the series in general. And even though the whole thing was in conversational Japanese, many EarthBound fans watched the webcast anyway. Some even recorded it somehow, and luckily we have a copy of the entire thing thanks to EBounding 😀

The whole thing was two hours long and they strayed off topic so many times that the assistants had to keep telling them to get back on topic via cue cards 😛

Incidentally, this is also where that video of Itoi saying there won’t be a MOTHER 4 comes from. YouTube commenters are often like “wtf I see the video suddenly jump, this is fake!” ala this. But I can’t post the entire two-hour video (much less sub it) and there was some unimportant unrelated stuff inbetween their lines. If you want to see the whole thing uncut though, here’s the whoooole thing.

Topics discussed (mostly by Ijuin) include:

• Games Ijuin played in 2006 made games seem more boring to him (particularly FF12?)
  • Shonen Jump became boring after turning 30
  • “I ain’t a kid anymore!”
  • Taking walks is more fun than games
  • Fish bones
  • A classic Japanese meat and potato dish
  • RPG Maker
  • RPGs where you can’t use your own name suck
  • The MOTHER games rock because you can even name your special move
  • PK Technocut (a Japanese hairstyle)
  • So many actors are really just models
  • Models = CG graphics, TV can use CG, that’s fine
  • Toshihiko Tahara
  • Freshness
  • Anecdote from MOTHER 3’s cancellation
  • Buried gold
  • Miyamoto and his “I’m giving birth to it!” story
  • MOTHER 3 GBA anecdote
  • Itoi doesn’t acknowledge Square or JUMP (or something like that)
  • FF12 ended it
  • Final Fantasy is “Father” (as opposed to the MOTHER games)
  • Yet more talk about Shonen Jump
  • Hollywood
  • RPGs where you don’t know what you’re doing = bad
  • Itoi’s poor health around the time of MOTHER 3’s release
  • Mamoru Nagata
  • Itoi: It’s best not to have a specific theme for this discussion in order to avoid spoilers
  • Ijuin: I wasn’t even sure how long we’d be talking or what about when I came here
  • Being mischievous was a theme with his work on the game
  • Itoi checked over every single line in the game
  • Doing stuff with no voice acting is tougher than having full voice acting
  • No MOTHER 4
  • Hiromi Kawakami, a respected writer and fan of Death Note and the MOTHER series shows up as a guest. Says MOTHER 2 was like an epic adventure story.
  • Everyone laughs at the phrase “shaped like balls”
  • Playing with headphones on is best
  • Hiromi does a “guess what the scariest thing in MOTHER 2 was for me” game. The answer: the slot machine brothers
  • The Beatles, John and Paul
  • Proclamation that they didn’t spoil a single thing
  • Discussion show ends

Whew, so much stuff yet so little of interest to us said.

15 Comments to MOTHER 3 Live Itoi Chat

So why don't you kill me said on Feb. 10, 2009

All of that sounds interesting to me.

Mikhail said on Feb. 10, 2009

Please translate this…. PLEASE.

IWontGetOvertheDam said on Feb. 10, 2009

That’s pretty cool. Wish I was fluent in Japanese. :I

TheReaper09 said on Feb. 10, 2009

well hopefully someone can translate this video someday,damn I wish I knew Japanese but I am too old to learn a 3rd language.

Jimi said on Feb. 10, 2009

Interesting enough. I am in the process of learning japanese for myself (just as a hobby. I’m an Electrical Engineer, so it’s forced to be a side project) And I think this might help a bit, especially with the notes you’ve provided. Thanks Mato.

Aurilliux said on Feb. 10, 2009

haha, apparently learning japanese is a common hobby among electrical engineers. I approve.

Jeeves said on Feb. 11, 2009

I echo the “interesting to me” sentiment and hope that someone someday can sub that whole thing.

Mato said on Feb. 11, 2009

Heh, I’m pretty sure I’ll never have time to sub this, so either someone super skilled (conversational Japanese can be very tough) + super crazy will have to show up at some point or people will have to master Japanese themselves. Probably the latter is better to do anyway 😛

Someday I might sub the parts relevant to the Mother series though.

Ryuk said on Feb. 12, 2009

Hey, Mato, I’ve actually been thinking about doing this for ages anyway.

You’re pro, how long do you think it’d take the average guy (if he studied a few hours every day) to be able to read stuff like Itoi’s site and his books? Interviews like this?

Sorry if you’ve covered this elsewhere, but I don’t think you did and I’m just worried I’ll be studying for like 5 years before I can even read anything.

Mato said on Feb. 12, 2009

Probably many years I’d guess. It’s a skill definitely worth having though.

Sir Ilpalazzo said on Feb. 16, 2009

I have to ask – what did he mean by not acknowledging Square and Jump?

IronROB said on Mar. 28, 2009

Very interesting video, Ito and Hiromi Kawakami are awesome.
Though I do disagree that Shonen Jump after turning 30 has become boring or whatever it is they don’t like about it anymore,
Like you Sir Ilpalazzo, I also wonder what Ito meant by not acknowledging Square and Jump(if he really said that).
Other then that, great video.

EishikiBahamut said on Apr. 14, 2009

So he thinks Jump and Square suck now? Nice. I have the same mindset ever since FF12 and jump only has one piece now.

Keiji Dragon / OKei said on Apr. 30, 2010

I really hope that the MOTHER segments get translated someday. I’d like to hear what his “anecdote” for MOTHER3’s cancellation was.

Salsa said on Jul. 24, 2012

so itoi and the others dont like one piece? it pretty much the only anime/manga to be good these days oh well they right it boring now especially since it have only one good manga now i wonder what the fans though about it i mean one piece destroyed many popular anime/manga in japan