EarthBound Text Adventure Hack
Back in 2006, on like the night before MOTHER 3 was released in Japan, Itoi held a live webcast on his site that was to be a discussion between him, Hikaru Ijuin (does lots of game magazine stuff), and a surprise guest.
The discussion was, naturally, to be about MOTHER 3 and the series in general. And even though the whole thing was in conversational Japanese, many EarthBound fans watched the webcast anyway. Some even recorded it somehow, and luckily we have a copy of the entire thing thanks to EBounding 😀
The whole thing was two hours long and they strayed off topic so many times that the assistants had to keep telling them to get back on topic via cue cards 😛
Incidentally, this is also where that video of Itoi saying there won’t be a MOTHER 4 comes from. YouTube commenters are often like “wtf I see the video suddenly jump, this is fake!” ala this. But I can’t post the entire two-hour video (much less sub it) and there was some unimportant unrelated stuff inbetween their lines. If you want to see the whole thing uncut though, here’s the whoooole thing.
Topics discussed (mostly by Ijuin) include:
- Games Ijuin played in 2006 made games seem more boring to him (particularly FF12?)
- Shonen Jump became boring after turning 30
- “I ain’t a kid anymore!”
- Taking walks is more fun than games
- Fish bones
- A classic Japanese meat and potato dish
- RPG Maker
- RPGs where you can’t use your own name suck
- The MOTHER games rock because you can even name your special move
- PK Technocut (a Japanese hairstyle)
- So many actors are really just models
- Models = CG graphics, TV can use CG, that’s fine
- Toshihiko Tahara
- Anecdote from MOTHER 3’s cancellation
- Buried gold
- Miyamoto and his “I’m giving birth to it!” story
- MOTHER 3 GBA anecdote
- Itoi doesn’t acknowledge Square or JUMP (or something like that)
- FF12 ended it
- Final Fantasy is “Father” (as opposed to the MOTHER games)
- Yet more talk about Shonen Jump
- RPGs where you don’t know what you’re doing = bad
- Itoi’s poor health around the time of MOTHER 3’s release
- Mamoru Nagata
- Itoi: It’s best not to have a specific theme for this discussion in order to avoid spoilers
- Ijuin: I wasn’t even sure how long we’d be talking or what about when I came here
- Being mischievous was a theme with his work on the game
- Itoi checked over every single line in the game
- Doing stuff with no voice acting is tougher than having full voice acting
- No MOTHER 4
- Hiromi Kawakami, a respected writer and fan of Death Note and the MOTHER series shows up as a guest. Says MOTHER 2 was like an epic adventure story.
- Everyone laughs at the phrase “shaped like balls”
- Playing with headphones on is best
- Hiromi does a “guess what the scariest thing in MOTHER 2 was for me” game. The answer: the slot machine brothers
- The Beatles, John and Paul
- Proclamation that they didn’t spoil a single thing
- Discussion show ends
Whew, so much stuff yet so little of interest to us said.
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to MOTHER 3 Live Itoi Chat
- Jeff Shot First: My copy arrived today! It is… amazing. I haven’t put it down yet. I don’t really know what else to say. I think...
- TanukiDan: I can’t wait to get it! Would you mind if I talked about it on my lame youtube once I get it?
- Lochy: This looks awesome. Hopefully I can buy it as an after christmas present for myself. What an absolute treat!
- Jeff Shot First: Can I just say wow. This is incredible. I loved the first book on Zelda, and this is something even more special. I cannot wait to...
- SaturnValley: Amazing! I love the 90’s aesthetic. This is perfect timing since I was planning on getting this for Christmas, really hope it...