Shigesato Itoi Talks About Writing
In 2007, KingDarian and I ponied up a ton of money to get our hands on a whole bunch of really old Japanese game magazines that had to do with the MOTHER games. On some occasions we hit the jackpot, like with this Nov. 1992 issue of Super Famicom Magazine.
This is one of the earliest looks we have of MOTHER 2. It was shortly after this that the game was reprogrammed from scratch with the help of HAL Labs and especially Satoru Iwata. Because this was printed before the game was redone, it’s one of our very few glimpses into the game as it looked before it was nearly canceled, this video being our only other major source for old stuff. What’s funny, though, is that this article says the game’s release date will be in January 1993 and will be 12 megabits. In actuality, it was almost two years later than that and twice as big.
Anyway, some of the main things that stand out in this article are:
- Ness doesn’t have his backpack
- The weird-looking bus station, and the layout of the map around it
- The bus stop graphic
- The outside of Ness’ house looks odd, and it shows Ness with King in his yard during the day. The mailbox is also missing
- Lots of out-of-place characters in Onett. A trash can is also out of place
- Two ladies in the burger shop
- The HP/PP box looks odd
- There’s a really weird-looking guy in Toto (the area east of Summers)
- Some more out-of-place characters and trash can by the Onett drugstore
- A weird-looking guy in front of the Chaos Theater. The theater itself also looks odd
- An early version of Dalaam. Apparently it was meant to be a snowy place. The palace also looks pretty weird
- And probably more stuff
While I’m here, here’s that preview video again just because:
For one of my big monthly articles, I’d like to do a lot of research and gather information and write about this beta stuff, include translated interviews about it, and write about the rocky history of MOTHER 2’s development. For now, these pics and videos are still pretty cool on their own 😀
Other Related Posts:
49 Comments to MOTHER 2 Beta Preview
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.