Shigesato Itoi, Giygas, and Boobies
This hasn’t been a priority of mine at all, so right now the first draft script of the MOTHER 1 part stands at about 15%. It’d be easy to finish this thing quickly, but I want to take my time with it. I don’t feel like there’s as much a rush, since people can play the NES ROM any old time, and my EarthBound Zero easy mode patch does what the Easy Ring in this M1+2 translation does. But it’ll get finished eventually.
For now, I decided I’d let people know about this neat little thing that may or may not get included with the translation patch. Basically, the NES could only show so many colors at a time, but the GBA can show a lot more. In the MOTHER 1 GBA port, the programmers just set everything to look like the NES version, but in technical terms, it’s completely possible to use lots more colors for everything.
So I suggested an idea to Jeffman a few months back: wouldn’t it be cool if we could use the enemy sprites from my EarthBound Zero remake hack? Jeff’s much better at graphic data hacking than I am, so he disappeared for a few hours and came back with some results. It’s not working perfectly yet, but this idea is definitely doable. Here are some comparisons:
(don’t mind the different fonts and window borders, I’m still messing with those)
It’s pretty cool stuff. I’m not sure if we’re going to actually do this or not, or if we’ll include it with the main patch. If we do include it, we’ll either have it as an option you can toggle on or off or as a separate patch. So if you want a super true-to-the-original experience instead of this fancy colorized stuff, you’ll be able to.
Theoretically, this same concept can be applied to all the graphics, not just the enemies, so it might be possible to make an upgraded-graphics version of the game while keeping everything else intact. Kind of like how original GameBoy games were upgraded to have more colors on the GameBoy Color and Super GameBoy.
Another simple thing that COULD be possible is auto-wins. I don’t know if we’ll actually mess with that, but if we do, it’ll again be an option you can turn on and off. I get the feeling we won’t be doing this particular idea though.
BTW, I’ve played through to Magicant with the Easy Ring on, and the game didn’t seem annoying or tedious at all. I didn’t have to stop to level up at all, and it was really fun and everything was a breeze. I think people will like this patch, whenever it’s done.
Other Related Posts:
98 Comments to MOTHER 1+2 Translation Update 2
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...
- Moonside: I know this is very unrelated to the topic but, what ever happened the Chewy’s Novel Translation? The webpage now asks for a...
- Anonymous: “…while EarthBound is just a game, it’s one of those rare games that brings out the best in people.” <–...
- game4brains: As someone who’s half-Korean, this is pretty interesting to me, particularly because this was published during a period where...
- KingMike: I think the other SFC game in the review scores are Live A Live and some baseball game (Super Power League 2)?