Onett Rubber Stamp
I’m not sure how many people know this, but there already exist two different patches for MOTHER 1+2, made years ago by different groups. The problem is, EarthBound and MOTHER 2 are very complicated games programming-wise, so nobody has ever done much more than menu patches, and even then they’re incomplete menu patches.
But I thought I’d show them now, for people who want to try to play MOTHER 1+2 in even a tiny bit of English. Note that these are not my patches, my MOTHER 1+2 translation (well, the MOTHER 1 part of it) is still underway. Jeffman shows interest in working on the MOTHER 2 portion someday, see here. For now, you can have fun with these old patches made by other groups.
RPGOne MOTHER 1+2 Translation:
This patch is mostly for the MOTHER 1 part of the game. They basically took the text from the NES EB0 ROM and inserted it into the M1+2 ROM. Because the MOTHER 1 part is so simply programmed, this was pretty much Romhacking 101 stuff, so it probably only took a few hours to make. There are a few bugs and a few things that aren’t translated, but you can play the whole game in 99.5% English with this.
The MOTHER 2 part only has some menu text translated. This game is CRAZY to hack, so they probably gave up before long. Only a crazy person would try to hack this game into another language 😯
GBAzone MOTHER 1+2 Translation:
I actually didn’t know about this patch until just recently. It focuses only on the MOTHER 2 portion of the game. It’s a more complete menu patch, and there are even a couple lines of translated dialogue. But 99.99% of the game is still in Japanese. MOTHER 2’s script is huge, and the programming is crazy. But if you want to play the MOTHER 2 part of this game, this is probably the patch you’ll want to use.
While I’m only planning to focus on the MOTHER 1 part of the game for my translation, Jeffman and I have it planned out so that if he ever makes a MOTHER 2 patch, our work can be combined super-easily. I’ll even lend him some assistance if he ever needs it, though I’m not going to be doing the hacking for it myself. After MOTHER 3, I’m done with crazy hacking 😛
Other Related Posts:
30 Comments to Existing MOTHER 1+2 Patches
- DJ: From what I’ve gathered I’m pretty sure he still writes copy, so they’re an ad company.
- cosmodos: What does his company even do? Is it actually lucrative? From what I can gather (not knowing Japanese), it’s just his blog, and he...
- Jason: http://www.ipokiso.com/company /2017/hobonichi.html The anticipated price per share is 2,300 yen. As for those wishing to purchase a share...
- Leeaux: Hey I just saw this! Really interesting watch to. Lots of little fun facts.
- Mary: The “behind the scenes” video on how the Ness animation was made is great too. The animators channel is A + Start.