February 5th, 2009 | Hacking, MOTHER 1+2

I’m not sure how many people know this, but there already exist two different patches for MOTHER 1+2, made years ago by different groups. The problem is, EarthBound and MOTHER 2 are very complicated games programming-wise, so nobody has ever done much more than menu patches, and even then they’re incomplete menu patches.

But I thought I’d show them now, for people who want to try to play MOTHER 1+2 in even a tiny bit of English. Note that these are not my patches, my MOTHER 1+2 translation (well, the MOTHER 1 part of it) is still underway. Jeffman shows interest in working on the MOTHER 2 portion someday, see here. For now, you can have fun with these old patches made by other groups.

RPGOne MOTHER 1+2 Translation:

Download: RPGOne MOTHER 1+2 patch v0.5
Patching Instructions: See here

This patch is mostly for the MOTHER 1 part of the game. They basically took the text from the NES EB0 ROM and inserted it into the M1+2 ROM. Because the MOTHER 1 part is so simply programmed, this was pretty much Romhacking 101 stuff, so it probably only took a few hours to make. There are a few bugs and a few things that aren’t translated, but you can play the whole game in 99.5% English with this.

The MOTHER 2 part only has some menu text translated. This game is CRAZY to hack, so they probably gave up before long. Only a crazy person would try to hack this game into another language 😯

GBAzone MOTHER 1+2 Translation:

Download: GBAzone MOTHER 1+2 patch v0.1
Patching Instructions: See here

I actually didn’t know about this patch until just recently. It focuses only on the MOTHER 2 portion of the game. It’s a more complete menu patch, and there are even a couple lines of translated dialogue. But 99.99% of the game is still in Japanese. MOTHER 2’s script is huge, and the programming is crazy. But if you want to play the MOTHER 2 part of this game, this is probably the patch you’ll want to use.

Our Translation:

While I’m only planning to focus on the MOTHER 1 part of the game for my translation, Jeffman and I have it planned out so that if he ever makes a MOTHER 2 patch, our work can be combined super-easily. I’ll even lend him some assistance if he ever needs it, though I’m not going to be doing the hacking for it myself. After MOTHER 3, I’m done with crazy hacking 😛

30 Comments to Existing MOTHER 1+2 Patches

gBev said on Feb. 5, 2009

Link for the second one doesn’t work, but here’s another link to it: http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gba&section=patch_info&patch_id=971

Spitball Sparky said on Feb. 5, 2009

I guess what I have would be a very early version of the first one…I don’t even remember where I got it. Most of Mother 1 is translated and Mother 2 is still entirely Jap.

Why am I keeping that, anyway? O_o

Mato said on Feb. 5, 2009

gbev: Watchoo talking about? The link works fine…

gBev said on Feb. 5, 2009

I dunno, the link was leading to nothing before and seems to be fine now, but now I can’t see anyone’s sprites. Probably a connection problem on my end, though.

Erik said on Feb. 5, 2009

I tried the RPGone trans patch. But, the fact that it was partial is why I deleted it.

Satsy said on Feb. 5, 2009

How are you able to view things like the text and stuff? Is there anything I could find to view these things?

PJ812 said on Feb. 5, 2009

Hey mato,I’ve been reading this site for a while and this is my first comment heh heh.

But I was wondering if you were still working on the mother 1 remake,no offense but I’d much rather have that then just the mother 1 part of mother 1+2

Smash Bass said on Feb. 5, 2009

He’s doing it probably when a better Map Editor for Earthbound arrives. He already stated a million times that the Mother 1 part will be super-easy to hack, so I don’t think it will take too much of his time if he decides to work on both hacks at the same time.

“Only a crazy person would try to hack this game into another language 😯 ”

So, Jeffman would be crazy then? 😛

cj said on Feb. 6, 2009

At any rate, I’m waiting for your (most likely) higher quality patch before I play MOTHER.

Darien said on Feb. 6, 2009

I’ve never actually finished Mother — I’ve played it several times, but the intense grind factor always puts me off before I get through it. I reckon the Tomato translation with the EZ Mode ring is going to be the way to go for me. 😉

Clockerstance said on Feb. 6, 2009

I would love to play mother with a better translation. Earthbound Zero sounded strange at times…

Mato said on Feb. 6, 2009

PJ812: I get asked a lot, I really should make a post about it on my blog, but some info is here.

The biggest problem is the lack of a good map editor. Plus maps in EarthBound have really tough technical restrictions. Unless a good map editor is ever made, it’ll probably remain on hold. If I had to make an editor myself, it’d probably take a year or two before I can get started on the actual hack again.

gBev said on Feb. 6, 2009

I threw both of those patches on my flash cart today.

The first one (for Mother) was actually very good, and hopefully the combination of having it on my DS and having it in English will get me to finish it this time…

The second one was okay, but still 99% Japanese as Mato said so it wasn’t worth playing for long. Think of the Mother 3 Menu patch without enemy names (about 3 enemies are translated). I’d only use it if I didn’t have EarthBound and a SNES.

Bigot said on Feb. 7, 2009

I tried to combine both of the IPS patches, and it works fine. My ROM has most text of Mother 1 is translated as they say, and has GBAZone’s M2 menu patch. They works great just to play on a GBA Flash Cart

_oMeGa_ said on Feb. 7, 2009

Actually, the first (and only) time I’ve beaten Mother 1 was with the RPGOne patch. I wasn’t even out to beat the game at first, and I didn’t have any way to get on the internet for guides. I managed to go to the factories in the wrong order and completely overlook the boat on Mt. Itoi for several hours, but I beat it.

Tweder said on Feb. 22, 2009

Hah, I’m glad my patch was included in the post! Woo! Yes, I did the GBAzone patch a long time ago. I know it sucks, I really didn’t know what I was doing, and it was my first attempt at a translation project. I ended up losing steam on the project only three weeks in. :/ I forgot I had actually put as much work into it that I had.

MarioFan3 said on Apr. 2, 2009

Heh, Mato? The Mother3 translation IS pretty much THE best work i’ve seen (i would probably still be clueless about the Mother series without it) and i poke around a bit and i see this :D.

When i manage to get hold of a GBA flash cart, top priority is to put Mother3 on it.To have this in English also for a top notch experience and Mother 1 + 2 in English AS well, would be just epic (as we will NEVER get a Mother game in a PAL region, let alone for the GBA) good to hear you’re still up for some “crazy hacking”

The Mother 2 part of this would be great, (atm that part’s just started but by the time i get a Flash cart, this would probably be finished anyway)
Still, thumbs up 4 u!

Luigi Papa (Brazil) said on Apr. 5, 2009

Hello, i´m from Brazil…

Since I got a flash card to my GBA SP, a friend of mine told me about your work with mother 3…so i have to check it out and man, i really surprised with the work!

You did an amazing job translating the Mother 3! Congratulations!

I´m still playing and enjoying every moment of this game!

So, i´m waiting for you next work with Mother 1+2…really anxious…

MarioFan3 said on May. 10, 2009

I think we’re all anxious atm, ahh feel that excitement……………. or your patience slowly dripping away, either way we can wait, right guys?…… maybe?

MarioFan3 said on May. 10, 2009

I think it wouldn’t be so great if there was no wait and the game would be over too quickly.

Better still, Mato introduced me to a series never released, by putting it in English, and may i say, did a very professional job by doing so.

Don”t forget how Mato nearly killed himself translating Mother 3.

This would be interesting to see, and as he is also doing the same for mother 2 (yknow, a literal translation), but he isn’t going to hack that part into the ROM, Mother 2 vs Earthbound

EXP PNTS said on Jun. 3, 2009

I can’t help but read that as Experience Pants

Piggy Guys said on Aug. 4, 2009

Pork oh PORK as long as i have a slightly translated EB rom and a hardly translating EB0 rom i feel h.a.p.p.y. OINK!

Steve! said on Aug. 21, 2009

I tried using the patch but I couldn’t figure it out, your mother 3 patches were a lot simpler. I’ll just wait for your patch to come out since it will probably be better anyway.

[…] keep at it. For now, if you want to play the game in English but don’t feel like waiting, here are a few other patches for MOTHER 1+2. […]

conn3r said on Dec. 9, 2009

i cant get them both to work… probz cuz im a noob at ‘dis stuff 😛

zitwartfart5005 said on Jul. 15, 2010

if you want to play mother 2 get earthbound the one thing about this is it has mother 1 and is never been released in english so i recommend getting patch 1 and earthbound

NewSupaLuigiBros said on Aug. 9, 2010

Can you also get a Korean translation?

It would be lovely.

Also,will Ness be naked or in pyjama?

Hunter said on Aug. 17, 2010

That fourth screenshot of the GBAzone M1+2 translation made me think of Pokemon.

MOTHERMoondance-- said on Jan. 30, 2011

Crazy to hack, huh… maybe some of us should try using only a hex editor =D

Brad64 said on Mar. 1, 2011

Is the lost dog a Pokemon?