Mailbag: Itoi and EarthBound
NOTE! If you are here about the EarthBound NOT on Virtual Console news, please see this more-detailed page instead.
A lot of music in EarthBound is similar to or based on real-life tunes. Someday I hope to make a big giant article or list or something showing all of this, but for now, here are a few of my favorites
First is Moonside’s music. I always loved those weird sounds in the background, it really added to the feel of the place.
Little did I know that that sound was actually a sample taken from Ric Ocasek’s song, Keep on Laughin':
Incidentally, you can download the full song here.
I always felt that the music in Jackie’s Cafe was really strange. But it sounded familiar, too. I could never put my finger on it, but then after a MOTHER 1+2 interview with the game’s musicians, I was like, aha!
There are at least two things of note in here. First, the Little Rascals song is mixed in. Here’s the Little Rascals song in case you’re not familiar with it:
The Star Spangled Banner is in the Jackie Cafe music too! I never realized it for years. It’s one of those things that once you notice it, you can’t unnotice it, kind of like how the bushes and clouds in Super Mario Bros. 1 are the same Here’s the Jackie Cafe music with all the other channels turned off:
The beginning part where you name your characters includes a short sample from the Monty Python theme song played over and over at different speeds:
If you can’t hear it, the sample used starts at about 3 seconds into the Monty Python clip.
And the Sky Runner song bears a resemblance to the intro to Won’t Get Fooled Again, by The Who.
There are a lot more things like this, and I’ll try to make a full list of them sometime. If you can think of any others, let me know
Other Related Posts:
149 Comments to EarthBound Music Similarities
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER 1 GAME GUIDE BOOK FC NES Japanese 1
- neonix: It’s a Mr. Saturn enema bag…
- neonix: I think it only makes sense for Magicant to also be in the Wii U version. They said that exclusive stages for each game would be ones based...
- AConcernedGamer: Keep in mind that a Masterpiece does not necessarily need to begin at the time that the guest console is booting up. Super Smash...
- MysterySprite22: This is weird, but not as weird as the belly warmers. xD
- Toby: I doubt you could get to Jr./Son of Starman, as you would need to have everything memorized to come even close. Besides you also have that...