EarthBound Script Dump
It’s hard to believe, but Nintendo Power magazine has been around for 20 years now. Man, I remember when I got the first free issue, it was incredible. Anyway, to mark the occasion, the magazine printed a special extra thing called “20 Years of Nintendo Power” (can’t seem to find it anywhere, weird), and in it they look through the magazine’s history and at the games that were featured in them.
What’s cool is that EarthBound wasn’t forgotten, and was even listed right alongside more mainstream games like Super Mario RPG and Yoshi’s Island. Click the image below to see a full-page scan.
Just for reference, here’s what it says:
EarthBound’s impact on the video game world did not stem from its modest commercial success, but from the die-hard fan base it engendered. The sci-fi themed RPG was designed by Shigesato Itoi—writer, game designer, bass-fishing enthusiast and all-around funky Renaissance dude—in connection with developers Ape and HAL Laboratories. EarthBound [part of the beloved Mother series in Japan] bravely explored territory seldom visited in video games—parody, social commentary, and goofy humor. North America never got a sequel, but legions of EarthBound faithful still mount letter-writing campaigns in support of one. Perhaps as a nod to their perseverance, EarthBound’s hero, Ness, has appeared as a character in the Super Smash Bros. series
Thanks to DragonRaiderX9 for the info and Afen for the scan 😀
Nintendo Power was my first exposure to EarthBound – I remember the simple one or two-page preview they did in one issue. They made it sound cool, with having to order pizza and going around doing stuff in modern cities. This was before they started to push the whole “this game stinks” thing, which never really hooked me, but I was already convinced by the early stuff in Nintendo Power. Sadly, I don’t have my old NP issues anymore, so all I can do is admire the digital scans online. Ah, nostalgia.
Other Related Posts:
106 Comments to EarthBound in NP Retrospective
- RalahTama: This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now. My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s...
- Anonymous: @adex SJW much?
- .: I once bought Metroid: Other M for $5 at Best Buy in the bargain bin. It wasn’t the greatest Metroid ever, but for $5 it was a great game!
- Sato: @Apple Kid It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a...
- EileenThePizzaQueen: @adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be...